A question has come up for which I do not have a ready answer. I don't even have any blue cards laying around to refer to. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If I recall correctly, there is a space on the blue card for the SM to sign indicating that the scout has the SM's permission to work on the merit badge. Theoretically getting the SM's permission is a prerequisite to even starting work on a merit badge.

Am I right about this?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No,

The BSA program says "the scout chooses the merit badges he wamts to work on" he does not require persmission. he is however required to obtain a blue card and to get verify with the SM that he is going to a registered and approved counselor. The Scoutmaster is signing that he/she knows the scout has a blue card and has verified that he has the name and contact number of a registered, approved, merit badge counselor, and that he understands the merit badge process.

The merit badge counselor signs to show the scout has completed the requirements (or initials it for partials) and then any unit leader may sign the scout's portion as a receipt that the card was returned to the unit for their records and his recognition.

Bob, yes the Scout choses the merit badge he wants to work on. Heck, even non-Scouts and Scouters can chose the merit badge they want to work on and even proceed to work on that merit badge without a SM signature, a "blue card" or even a MB counselor!

But, if a Scout wants to follow the correct process, he needs to have a signed statement (usually refered to a blue card) signed by his unit's Scoutmaster. The Scoutmaster's duty is to make sure the Scout has all the necessary prerequisitites completed, if any, to go forward with the MB and to assign MB counselor contact information to the Scout. In my book, that is granting permission. In your eyes, is doesn't seem to be. What I think we can both agree on is that if a Scout has the needed pre-reqs, if needed, the SM grants permission automatically if the Scout wants to pursue that MB. As a SM, I should not withhold "permission" to a Scout regardless of my thoughts. For example, if a newly crossed over 10 year old with learning disabilities wanted to take the engineering MB, I may tell him that it is a very challenging MB for most 15 year olds and may even ask him to reconsider but if he still wanted to tackle the task, I'd give him encouragement, a signed blue card and MB counselor contact info.

He cannot meet with the counselor without a blue card, He cannot receive the blue card without the Scoutmasters knowledge. Why would the Scoutmaster give him a blue card and not sign it?

Acco, it is not for permission, it is a program check. It verifies that the SM knew he was working on the topic and had an approved counselor.

Just as the receipt signature is not permission to advance. It is merely a receipt for the scout, another program check. To say that merely being needed to advance makes it a permission is incorrect. He needs a buddy present to meet with the counselor, does that mean he needs his buddy's "permission" to earn the merit badge?

There is another excellent scoutmaster type forum that has been discussing this exact issue. It is scoutmaster.org. I recommend you look at it also.

Here is an excerp from it:

"take a look at what the Blue Card has printed above the signature line. "and is qualified to begin working for the merit badge noted on the reverse side."

The unit leaders signature verifies the scout meets any prerequisites set by the BSA in the front of the MB book. It does not say that the SM "approves" or "authorizes" the choice (and especially not that the SM chooses it for him). It doesn't even say that the scout is capaple of completeing the badge. It just says that he is qualified to "begin".

Don't make more of this than there is, or give the SM a "power" that is not there. All the related resources and training material are very specific. The scout chooses, and the SM makes sure he has a registered counselor, and that is the extent of the SM role for beginning a merit badge. "

I am curious eagledad, except for a situation where a scout does not meet the BSA qualifications for a specific merit badge, when would a Scoutmaster not sign or give a blue card to a scout who wanted to work toward a merit badge??

What ever reason he/she wants to prevent the scout from earning the MB I guess. Of course that is not correct with the goals of the program, but I'm not really sure the intent of the question.

Is there another answer?

Barry

The only real reason I can think of for a SM not signing a blue card, other than prerequisites not being met, would be if a scout has numerous "incompletes" in other MBs. As a SM I would want to ensure that scouts are finishing what they have already started before launching them into a lot of new directions.

"What ever reason he/she wants to prevent the scout from earning the MB I guess. Of course that is not correct with the goals of the program, but I'm not really sure the intent of the question.

You are correct Eagledad. The point being that we were asked to give the correct answer, not one based on 'what if the scoutmaster wants to it wrong'.

eisley,

The number of incompletes might be reason for the scoutmaster to give counsel and guidance to the scout but not to deny him the opportunity to earn a merit badge. Keep in mind that the scout has until his 18th Birthday to complete his merit badges.

Are you suggesting that if a scout, who has let's say 8 merit badges that are not completed, and he finds out that his Social Studies teacher this semester is a counselor for citizenship in the nation merit badge, and she announces she will work with any scouts in the class to earn it, that you would deny him that opportunity?

Nowhere in the program does it even suggest that a scout is limited in the number of meritbadges he can be working on at any given time. Nor is it the role of the scoutmaster to stifle a scouts enthusiasm to learn.