Thanks for the suggestions. I will seriously consider the idea of giving the Scouts knives next Christmas. But perhaps I should wait until an irate mom pulls her son out of the Troop because he's been using his knife to carve on things around the yard...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, there is another thread on the forum discussing the difference between todays leaders vs leaders we remember, going on at the same time of this thread with some of todays leaders saying they wouldnt give a fire starter kit to a boy scout.

There is a word for this, but I can't think of it.

Barry

Yes, for this year, my sons. When I had a Webelos 2 patrol (yes thats what we called it) I gave out knives, fire starters, and compasses (boys got to pick with parents approval). Of my 10 boys one year:

6-Knives

3-Fire Starters

1-Compass

The fire starters already had knives. The compass went to the kid whose parents did not let him into scouts for fear of danger.

That was 2 years ago--I did not hear of any disasters.

(I had a 1969 Austin Healey Sprite. (like the MG Midget) What a piece of junk but 4 guys could move it.)

Well I stored my compass next to the box with the really, really big magnet in it. Not smart.

Gee my webelos patrol had 2 dads who were trial lawyers so I guess I dodged a bullet. I also had 2 dads who were Marine officers so it kinda balanced out.

"I just had a call from a mom who is pulling her son out of the Troop because he has been setting fires in their backyard. She is afraid he will soon set their house on fire"

Did the Mother say how large the fires were? Son may have just been practicing his Scout requirements. Did he clear the area of other flammables first?