Help with Youth Leadership Training

After being out of Scouting I have finally put my uniform back on and have hit the ground running.

My biggest problem right now is the lack of council provided Youth Leadership Training. I am told that this has been placed in the hands of the troops leaders.

I am needing help in gathering the correct materials for teaching the course as I am having a confusing time finding them online.

If anyone can help, I would be forever appreciative.

Try:

Boy Scout Troop Leadership Training Book (or TLT - Troop Leader Training)

This new book provides Scoutmasters with guidance on training youth leaders within their unit. Replaces the Scoutmaster Junior Leader Training Pamphlet.

Item: 34306

Retail Price: $6.99

You can purchase it at a Scout Shop (or they can order it)

or you can order it from www.scoutstuff.org

You may be able to find a copy online somewhere

Yes the new stuff is out there, and should be used.

But I would also look at what needs to be done with your scouts and look at older training courses to see if they may meet your needs if they are not met with the current course.

After doing TLT youth can take NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training)

From http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Resources/nylt.aspx

National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.

If your council isnt offering NYLT, look at surrounding councils as one most likely will be offering NYLT.

You will have a harder time finding this syllabus.

I have been told that this is restricted material because many units were trying to run this on their own and this is a District/Council run course.

Beyond NYLT is NAYLE - National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Resources/NAYLE.aspx

I dont know much about this

BDPT,

I must respectfully disagree. Yes by all means do the new training, it is needed to have the Scouts, and Venturers, go to NYLT and NAYLE. The new training is a priority.

But some folks have commented that the new stuff doesn't cover the basics, which is what they need to get their unit operating. Hence the comment to look at older training courses to see what they have that does meet the needs.

I have been looking into this for almost two years going now. And the new TLT is lacking a lot. The older stuff seems more in line with what is missing in TLT. But getting my boys to take a longer training course is the problem. I am sending boys to NYLT, but I need all of my new boy leaders to train in the more extensive NYLT, and I can't get all of them there. We plan to have the boys that go to NYLT to come back and train the Patrol Leaders this next year. But more needs to be done.

Planning, organization, camping skills that have been missing from the program for too many years.

There is a new TLT program.. It was suppose to be released in March, before our University of Scouting presented it, but was not released yet at that time. So we all got zeroxed copies of the prototype for it..

It is keeping some of the TLT stuff, but then also re-incorporating some of the old JLT stuff that has team building and hands on skills back into it..

No one liked the (old)new TLT, and was continueing to use JLT or doing no Youth Leader Training..

NYLT is great to send an current SPL to, but quite a bit steep for a troop to send their whole leadership group too.. And struggling units can't even send the SPL. Sort of a catch 22 because if the SPL gets NYLT and the SM gets out of the way and allows him to lead.. Then the troop would probabably not be struggling any more.. They recommend the SM going to Woodbadge training so that the SPL & SM are on the same page..

The kinds of things I taught when I ran Troop Leadership Training as a youth can be found at: http://www.whitestag.org/

The stuff I got out of that training has had more overall effect on my life than any other thing I got out of Scouting. For me, the current materials don't quite cut it on things you really need to know.

Moosetracker.. can you pdf a copy.. I'd love to have one.. We offered to send 4 boys to NYLT this Summer, but only had 3 reply. The troop is paying most if not all of the fees. the big problem for us is the distance. 7 hour drive.

Moosetracker, do you know when this new training program will be available to the masses? I am currently going through my JLT (which I staffed several times) and my Brownsea 22 books to try to piece together a more comprehensive training program for the Scouts. I found the TLT booklet to be very lacking in information and it seems that it only provides tips as to what you should teach the Scouts, unlike many of the older training programs.

I did hear that Blue Elk district, Heart of America Council, is considering returning the youth leadrship training back to a district/council level training program by early 2012 but only time will tell.

I may scan it at some point, but no promises, and it will need to be during summer free time.

Like I said it was to be released in March.. It is on that merry-go-round of promises, promises from the training division at National.. Don't hold your breath..

I guess our Council was one of the ones that was a beta-tester Councils, each district was to run one with a troop and comment on what they thought of it, so that is why we have a pre-released version.. One of our District Trainers who did the beta-testing was the one presenting it at Scouting-U (as it was to be released by then), when it wasn't he continued on as planned and gave us all a copy.

I am the ASM who takes the lead on TLT in our troop and I must say the latest syllabus leaves much to be desired. I have been running the course for our troop for about 5-6 years now and feel that we have finally found a model that works.

We do use the TLT training manual and are sure to cover all the material listed there. (some of it I feel is nonsense acronym jingoism, but I cover it all the same) I also some of use the late 80's-90's cousre material where appropriate. Most importantly I use some of Kudu's methods and take them outside and camp like a patrol and DO things like a patrol. The course we give our scouts now consists of two meetings, one to oraganize themselves as a patrol and the second to plan and execute a weekend camping trip. All of the course material and games are presented to the scouts at the campout. We try and keep it fun and keep things moving. Since we are outdoors if the scouts get a little bored we take a break and do something fun. I think they also learn a lot in operating like a patrol.