We are in the midst of our "Scouting for food" campaign.

Today, I had a neighbor bring me his bag of canned goods to my house. He explained that he has (in his words) "Coast Guard stuff" to do this weekend and wouldn't have been able to leave his canned ggods on his doorstep as the door hanger asked.

So After thanking him and his departure , I noticed he put a MRE in the bag as well as the canned goods.

It took maybe an hour, but it dawned on me that here is a guy who is in the Coast Guard Reserve, used to be a 12 ywaer active Coastie, and still does his duty to his country...and he brought me canned goods early to make sure they got delivered.

Now, this guy eats cold MRe's in the field while I sait at home eating a meal that is fresh from the oven/ gril/ stove, in a heated/ cooled house. I'm not getting rained on, shot at, or sitting in extreme weather conditions.

I know what time my next meal will be also. Maybe I'll call Dominoes if it's just too much of a hasle to cook.

You see where I'm going with this?

In the Cub Scout handbook, it breaks down the Cub Scout Promise to it's various and individual meanings.

"I promise to do my best, to do my duty to God AND MY COUNTRY, To help other people , and To obey the law of the pack.

As the book points out :"AND MY COUNTRY" means to Do what you can for your country, and to be proud you are an American.

So maybe if the scouts saw what the very service men and women , who are putting their lives on the line (or who already gave the ultimate sacrifice) , while protecting our freedom to do prwtty much whatever we want....are on a daily basis - well, kinda makes ya think doesn't it?

Granted, each kid will take it in his own way, but thought it would be a great lesson.

Any thought on the subject?

F Scouter; Let me clarify; I by no means meant that -being in the military was the only way to serve. I just wanted to point out that while we take for granted things like hot fresh served meals - others are eating cold food froma plastic pouch.

But I whole heartedly agree: There are many, many ways to serve your country in an outstandingh fashion while not actually enlisting in the military

There are those who take care of out citizens, those who work for and look out for the public, and of course, those who take care of our servicemen and women wether directly or indirectly.(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

My troop is going down to a Community Thanksgiving Dinner to serve and cleanup afterwards. This will occur on a day that traditionally the families gather for a family meal, but will this year go down and work with the boys as well. We have a lot of unemployed and down-and-out families and this is an opportunity for volunteer groups in the town to let these people know they haven't been forgotten.

The SPL told the boys, full uniform and be ready to work.

By the way, the Community Dinner is not for the community the boys live in. They will have to drive 2 towns away to participate.

Never underestimate the potential of what the boys are capable of doing!

The only adult involvement in this project was a suggestion by the SM, and we'll provide rides and of course roll up our sleeves and help as well.

If this is an example of a good lesson, then I'm continuing to learn all along.

Stosh