Following The Rules. The Message We Send

I was in a waiting room last week and ended up reading an old magazine that was intended for women. I can't remember which one it was. One article was about the Baby Boomer's. It said that generation known as the Baby Boomer's was too big and that there was a new group known as the "Joneses." It so happens that if there is such a group I would fall into it. The Joneses were a little too young to be part of the Summer of Love and protest the war in Vietnam War.

From what I have read one of the characteristics of the Baby Boomer's is that they question everything. The article I was reading didn't say if this rang true for the Joneses.

I can't speak for an entire generation I can only speak for me. I have at different times questioned all sorts of things and like to think that I am not a person who follows blindly.

There are times when like it or not there are rules, which are just there. Rules that while they don't sit well with me, or don't seem to make sense are still the rules. At times I have not only questioned the rules, I have tried to have the rules changed. There of course been times when the rule was not enforced and while still on the books it became meaningless.

In Scouting there are some rules that I in my infinite wisdom deem as useless.There are things that I don't like.

I do have very serious concerns about people who break rules. While it is OK to ask why. It is wrong to go ahead and break the rules.

We as adults in Scouting are charged to lead by example. What might seem as only a game of paint-ball or laser tag, when you know it is not a BSA activity is sending the message that it is OK to not follow the rules. Adults not wearing the approved uniform is not a hanging offense, but what message is it sending to the youth that look to us for the example?

I don't have a problem with people who say that they can't remain in Scouting because there is a rule that makes it impossible to remain in Scouting and if these people want to start their own youth group, more power to them.

I have a big problem with people who send the wrong message to the youth that they are supposed to be leading within the guidelines of the BSA.

Eamonn

Excellent Eamonn! Rules are to be followed even if they seem stupid or outdated. And if we think they should be changed, we should work to have them changed. But until then, they must be followed. We, after all, are setting an example.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Great post Eamonn!

I had a scout transfer to our troop from another one. He had essentially dropped out due to what I believe was a general lack of discipline in the other troop. The adults pretty much let the scouts do whatever they wanted, as long as it didn't interfere with their morning coffee.

In our planning conference, he suggested lazer tag. I vetoed it due to the G2SS. He pouted and complained because his other troop does it. I pointed out to him that the reasons he left that troop had a lot to do with them not following the rules. We can't break a rule because we don't like it, because the next guy down the line may have a different rule that he doesn't like. If we all pick our least favorite rule to break, we would have a mess on our hands.

In our boy-led unit at the PLC we often find that the boys actually seek the structure and reassurance of an orderly and rule-abiding troop. The boys are the first ones to tell us about how rule-breaking is detrimental to the troop, and they are most times their own best examples.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

Eamonn, you are showing your age. Rules are meant to be broken! First of all, the baby boomers, those born "immediately" after the service men (and women) returned home from WWII (technically from 1946 - 1964 as defined by some). It defined a large segment of the population. Only later on did revisionist historians try to generalize attributes to those who were a member of that generation (technically, not a generation, for one definition of a generation is defined as ten years). Yes, I'm a boomer (b. 1956) and remember Nam, Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Chicago, Kennedy shot, King shot, Kennedy shot, Nixon resign, Hendrix dead, Joplin dead, Lennon shot, ... I've also seen the term conservative used in the pejorative (mid 60s to mid 70s) and now the same for the term liberal. I've seen rules such as the draft, no "colored" allowed, poll taxes, bans on inter-racial marriage, draconian drug laws, and yes even the sexual position laws stated by FOG go by the way side. I have no problem with those who break rules for a purpose. Those individuals just need to learn to accept the consequences that come with breaking the rules. Sometimes that means intense suffering. Other times, the rule is removed. The vast majority of the "rules" that society has in place are there for a purpose. Baby boomers don't question rules more that others, youth questions rules. Baby boomers were once young and by sheer numbers, they questioned authority. That is natural. Now, I do agree with you that many of the youth (and adults) question some of the "rules" in Scouting such as uniforming, safety (laser tag, etc.). We (Scouters) are in a unique position. We have promised to deliver the Scouting program. We really don't have the option of picking and choosing, smrgsbord style, what parts we want to follow.