Help with Boy interested in being Eagle but not doing the requirements.

I have a boy who is Life rank and has moved from troop to troop. When coming to our troop he stated he wanted no leadership positions he just wanted to get his Eagle and be finished. He hasn't gone to summer camp with the troop but has worked at summer camp as staff. He has participated in only 1 campout with the troop this year. He rarely attends weekly meetings maybe once or twice a month. When he does show up it is out of uniform and usually doesnt participate. When talking (informally) about his Eagle project he decided that 10 hours was enough time to do build his project. When explained to him that he needed to lead the project not do the actual labor he decided that his project was shot down. Now discussing with him the subject of being actively involved with the troop he states that he is just interested in getting his Eagle and not interested in that requirement. Has anyone ever dealt with this situation or have ideas on how to help this boy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Troop65! Sounds like this kid wants the fruits of the labor without the labor. I would sit him down & find out why he wants his Eagle & also if he thinks he has earned it! Not deserves it, earned it.

As far as the requirements, has he had a position of responsibility since he became a Life Scout? If not, then he hasn't met one of the requirements for Eagle. And if he is unwilling to hold a position of responsibility then, oh well! No Eagle! Remember, we can't add or subtract from the requirements.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

You don't say how old this Lad is?

Here we have a Lad that worked on the Summer Camp Staff. Is attending half the meetings. It seems to me that there is a spark there. It needs fanned and some fuel.

A Scoutmaster conference would seem in order. There is a lot of questions that need to be asked. I feel sure that he must have read the requirements and does know that in order to reach the rank Of Eagle Scout he is going to have to make up his mind to set this as a goal. He needs to know that the adults in the troop are behind him all the way and will help him along the way. However it is his goal his Eagle.It does seem that you are willing to help this Lad. It might be that you are allowing your history with him get in your way. We can't manage the past or we deal with what is happening today and make plans for the future. There are many wise and learned people in these forums. Still at the end of the day we can't know the Lad. We can't ask him why he is shying away from holding a Leadership position in the troop? He can't tell us what keeps him from being more active in the troop.

Your profile doesn't say what position you hold in the troop still someone needs to sit down and listen to what this Lad has to say. There could be reasons for the way he is feeling. I would bet any money that if someone sat down with him and asked a few open ended questions that he would very quickly come up with a workable plan to make reaching the goal a reality. My advise is listen and listen and listen some more. Then when he has his plan do everything you can to help him stick to it.

Welcome to the forums.

Eamonn

Gentlemen thank you for your input.

My profile should have said SM. I can tell you a little about the boy (15) he came into the Troop all ready Life rank with no Blue Cards he has moved here from another Council. The parents unfortunately dont remember the council but I have traced to him the Midwest. I have tried contacting that council but have not received any information yet. The boy has told me that in his old troop no one would listen to him and there were no PLC meetings or planning sessions. He has told me that he held Patrol Leader and Senior Patrol Leader positions, this has not been verified. They basically just hung around the bldg. In our troop he has failed to show for any of these meetings. He told the members of the troop not to put him in any position since he wasnt interested and wouldnt do the job. Even Troop activities he shows up and then leaves right in the middle. The last excuse he used was he needed a break to go play some video games, so he just left (with his parents) and came back 4hrs later. The parents go along saying that it is his decision and they support him. The father achieved Eagle rank himself so that is why this is so puzzling. I have tried to schedule SM conference but usually hes a no show. He receives (including his parents) all newsletters and email info from troop weekly. Still we are going nowhere. The Troop committee is very supportive of all unit members. They have talked with the youth and are just as puzzled. So we are picking brains from every where to see what we can try to do to turn this situation around.

Thanks Again

"So we are picking brains from every where to see what we can try to do to turn this situation around."

What do you see as your responsibility as the SM, and what part of that responsibility do feel you have not fulfilled?

What do you see as the Scout's responsibility in this situation, and what parts has he not fulfilled?

The Scout cannot do your job, and you cannot do his. At what point will the scout be allowed to earn or not earn the Eagle rank based on his own efforts, and his own decisions?

Excellent questions BW. I have encountered similar situations and at age 18 some of those boys had become outstanding life scouts. And it was clear to them that the choice was theirs. Some went on to earn the rank of Eagle. And that choice was also theirs.

I know that it is only a coincidence but years ago I was the SM of a Troop 65. It was a long standing unit, one that had a history worth repeating.

But you asked about one young man and gave us some clues, so,

let's see how he measures up.

The MEHTODS of Scouting

Ideals- Doing a Good Turn Daily, Being Prepared, The Law, The Oath- not an act but actions

-He leaves in the middle of an event.

There are so many things that could be said about this in regards to the ideals of Scouting, especially for a Scout that has been in the program for any length of time. His actions speak highly of a different event, a different program, one that has his interest.

Patrols- experiencing the democratic ideal. It is the most strategic method for taking and learning the responsibilities of leadership.

-they just hung around the building,

- he doesn't want to be a leader.

- he doesn't want to take responsibility.

- he doesn't want to work with the group.

Outdoors- meeting the natural world, becoming sensitive to all aspects of it. The most foundational part of the Scouting program.

- he left to play video games- The method for meeting the virtual world.

- he doesn't want to go on activities, including the out of doors.

- he doesn't want to participate.

Advancement- the higher a Scout climbs on this ladder, the more challenging and the more rewarding it is. He grows in self-confidence by achieving the more difficult skills. He is then able to help the younger boys learn the basics.

- he doesn't know that he is supposed to lead others in his own Eagle project.

- he is only interested in the progress award to have it, possibly because his Father has one.

- he is wanting to do it all himself and get it out of the way

Adult Association- Learning from examples of adults that are based on the Scouting ideals.

- He doesnt remember where he came from and most likely the adults that helped him.

Leadership Development- The SMs best tool for helping to develop a young persons talents. It is a way of giving the Scout many different kinds of opportunities to be motivated and to grow in these skills.

- he doesn't have experience with planning.

- nobody listens to him.

- he was the SPL but didnt have PLCs.

The Uniform- a many edged tool, one that stands for Scouting and for the outdoor adventure.

He doesnt want to wear it the uniform.

Personal Growth- a critical part of the Scouting experience. It is the product of all of the other methods. It also entails the word striving which becomes a way of acting as a Scout.

- when you take all of the evidence you have presented, the product speaks for itself.

These methods help in achieving the AIMS of Scouting

Building character

Fostering citizenship

Developing fitness

Now, if you hold your bow wrong, your bow string sags, your grip is loose, your eye is off; all the wrong methods of the archer

Then,

You miss the target.

But you are STILL the SM and the best judge in this instance.

We hope to hear a good story in the future,

FB

The Methods of Scouting are not appropriate tools for measuring a Scout, they are the tools for delivering the program to scouts.

They are what the adult leadership are supposed to be doing, they are not about what the scout does.

Welcome, T65!

I'm with FB. In short, something doesn't smell right.

I'd invite him to participate in the troop program, but no way would I talk about his next rank advancement until HE arranged to get a copy of his records sent from his old troop. I would also request a point of contact with the old troop -- preferably the SM. (I hope Im wrong, but I wouldnt be surprised if he found another new troop to join. And Id give the other local SMs a heads up.)

"The parents unfortunately dont remember the council but I have traced to him the Midwest."

Things are very fishy. I still remember the Council that I was in as a Cub Scout which was 35 years ago. If nothing else, can't they look at the patch that was on his left sleeve?

The comment that you traced him to the midwest is very curious. I can guarantee you that if you gave me a Scoutmaster's name and the town where the troop was, I'd be in contact with that SM inside of a week. The town can lead you to Council and District. With the name, the DE can find the troop and even give you a phone number.

Very strange.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing is a scam to get the kid an Eagle with no effort so he can put it on his college applications.

From what I read in your posts, it appears to me you're being played like a fiddle...by the whole family. There are a lot of "barracks lawyers" out there who will turn your good intentions into a deathbed Eagle emergency, playing off the emotions of volunteers who don't want to see a boy miss out on his Eagle, whether he earned it or not.

I'd hold regular, even weekly, Scoutmaster conferences with the Scout, even documenting them in writing, to the committee advancement chair, and start putting together a dossier for the District advancement chair, too, if it comes to that. There should be no misunderstandings regarding which of the Eagle advancement requirements he's not meeting, and why.

I'll invest as much time as I need to in a Scout who's properly motivated, working hard, and doing his best. But, every minute spent on a Scout like this one is a minute you can't spend with another young man who needs your leadership AND is responding to it. I'd focus on the second. Only 5% make it, right?

KS