Banned Items on Camping Trips

Let the PLC do the banning, not the adult leaders!

We had a problem with cell phones and over use a meetings and camping trips. We discussed in the PLC meetings, and they took a far more stringent action than we would have, and it was soundly implemented, accepted, and is now part of the Troop culture.

Far better that such rules come from the Scouts than at the Scouts from above.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our PLC still hasn't outright banned anything, though of course some locations we visit outlaw things, so we don't take them there.

As far as my view on electronics, 1) if they bring them, they are responsible for them.

2) If there's a usage issue (late night noise for instance) SPL may confiscate and return at end of trip(this of course make him responsible to safeguard it...)

3) If they are using them and it inhibits their ability to be a team (crew) member and could be a safety issue, then I (might) confiscate or more likely require them to discontinue use and pack it. i.e. Portions of some trails may require assistance from the crew member ahead or behind and face it the iPod is a distractor not a focuser.

All that said while I've never used mine on a trail I can definitely see how trudging up the spine of some peak might be easier with some distraction but, If I'm ignoring where I'm at while climbing that peak - then why the heck am I there in the first place?

• 1 month later...

And now a few words from our founder:

It is risky to order a boy not to do something; it

immediately opens to him the adventure of doing it.

Correcting bad habits cannot be done by forbidding

or punishment.

The boy is not governed by dont, but is led by do.

Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell