Greetings,

For a while, I've been interested in the duties of the ASPL (Assistant Senior Patrol Leader). Some troops just use them as a backup SPL who just takes over when the SPL is nowhere in sight, and others use them as program bosses. We've always done the former, something that's put quite some stress on the SPL and the leadership pie.

How do other troops use their ASPLs? Do you use multiple ones? Do they run program and supervise positions/have duties explicitly for them? I think if we put our ASPLs to work, we could better prepare them for being SPL next elections and hone their skills.

Any advice on using ASPLs?

Thanks,

Rene

Several points here. First, we are a small troop, and currently have no ASPL. May be next year if we add another patrol (which appears likely).

If we were to have an ASPL, his duties would be to "oversee" the non-PL members of the PLC, ie, Bugler, Scribe, Quartermaster, and Chaplain's Aide. Secondary duties would be to step in to replace the SPL when absent.

I have a Troop of about 30 Scouts. Our ASPL works with the SPL , as the SPL requests and sits in for him when the SPL is not available. However, his primary duty is to supervise the job being done by non-PLC leaders: Historian, Quartermaster, Troop Guides, Instructors, etc. It works pretty well for us.

>>How do other troops use their ASPLs? Do you use multiple ones? Do they run program and supervise positions/have duties explicitly for them? I think if we put our ASPLs to work, we could better prepare them for being SPL next elections and hone their skills.

Our ASPL is the PL of the troop officers, bugler, historian, QM, scribe, etc. He fills in as SPL and works with the PL's when the SPL is absent. The troop officers can function quite well with the temporary absence of their PL (ASPL) because they tend to be the older boys anyway.

Stosh