Junior Assistant Scoutmaster (JASM)

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll feel free to comment. I am a new SM, went from MB counselor to SM in 4 months, so I had a lot to learn in a short period of time. In doing so I noticed deficiencies that were not addressed by the outgoing SM (no PLC, ad hoc patrols, little structure in how meetings were run by SPL) and I have decided to try and change the course. With the election of a new SPL, I reintroduced the PLC, & I have him and the ASPL starting to attend roundtables ( an informed scout is a smart scout!)

I also looked at the JASM position. I am facing a shortage of ASMs, one had his son make Eagle and he faded from view, the other, his son is starting to lose interest so I don't know how long he will last. I do have a committee member with 2 sons in the troop, but as an Eagle Scout himself, he is essential to our BORs especially for the higher ranks.( he does every thing that a ASM does but wears the CM tag.) Next best thing...JASM! I offered it to our latest Eagle Scout, and he jumped at the chance. And I got an ASM back. I explained the duties of a JASM and what I expected from him. He has proven his mettle in just 2 meetings so far. This has the added benefit of reviving interest with the other ASMs son, He sees that opportunity to do more in the troop past Eagle does exist, and has given him motivation to forge ahead.

The JASM position will not be an "out to pasture" POR in my troop, In talking to the troop I explained the importance of the position, and why I asked this Scout to be a JASM. and I also told them, even if you make Eagle, doesn't mean you will become a JASM. That position will only be offered to those who have shown a commitment to the troop ( ok,long story short, basically the characteristics they look for in OA) and will be asked to accept the postition after discussions between myself the ASMs and current JASMs as to who would be a good candidate for consideration. This works for us, might not for you. I have bunkergear, so flame on!!!! LOL

And ReneScout, good for you, Scouts like you make me proud to be a Scouter!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my troop the only difference between an ASM and a JASM is the age. I expect them to function the same.

I have an Eagle candidate right now that functions as a JASM but wears the TG patch on his shirt. Functionally he is the NSP ASM. He was held back a year in school so he'll be turning 18 midway through his junior year of high school, so when that time comes around he'll just register as an adult (follow adult G2SS requirements, get adult training, etc.) but functionally the same as he already is.

Stosh

I have often mused on this. A JASM would not be in a position to act as a second adult, as this would be in conflict with the Guide to Safe Scouting. And as several posters who have pointed out that there are other positions that an older Scout could fill. Personally, I feel that this is a position that has lost its usefulness in modern troop structures, and I really think that it should be eliminated.