Troop JLT - before vs after the election

Couldn't figure out how to spin a new thread, and yet anchor it with an article from the spawning thread.... is this possible ???

Anyway - Would like to followup on my original msg, with the focus on the "before vs after" and anchor it with Eagle KY's msg -

----

My concern is inviting everyone to JLT makes it just another meeting with those that really want to be there, and those that show up, but are not really interested.

I'd suggest having the training AFTER the election, and then train the Scouts that were elected and really want to run the troop.

And yet, our Troop makes JLT a prereq for serving in a POR.

---- Eagle KY ----

However, since we're here, I'll go ahead and address your question. We do JLTC once a year after the fall elections (we also have elections in the spring).

1. All green bars are expected to attend. That's set out before they run for office that they will agree, if elected, to participate in JLT.

2. We also strongly encourage any other person who holds a position and has not previously attended JLT to attend.

3. Third, we encourage anyone else who hasn't attended JLT to attend.

4. Anyone else (that would be someone holding a position and has previously attended JTL) is also welcome.

We try to limit it to around 10-12 people. Our troop is still small, so that's doable. I also try to get an adult who hasn't seen it before to attend. This helps them get an appreciation of the boy-led program as well.

Hi All

I thought I answered this question on the other thread, but sometimes I wonder around without really getting to the point.

We have two scheduled JLTs;

The first JLT is a one-time course required for any scout who want to qualify to be on the PLC. This JLT basically;

-teaches working as a team,

-teaches a few basic leadership skills like communication and delegatio

-introduces each scout to the Patrol Leaders Handbook.

The first JLT is similar to the BSA JLT course except we add more reviews of leadership skills and PL Handbook.

The second JLT is given just after the election and is required for all scouts on PLC. This JLT is short (couple hours) and specific to the PLC;

-The PLC set goals for the troop.

-Each individual youth leader sets gaols for his position.

-Each scout reviews his position responsibilities.

-Each scout learns and reviews enough skills with their advisor to get through the first couple of weeks.

The second JLT is similar to the part of the BSA JLT where the SM reviews position responsibilities with each scout except that our scouts review with their advisors.

The more experienced scouts dont get bored with repeating the 2nd JLT because it is short and basically to the point only teaching skills they need to know to start successfully in their leadership position.

Hope that explains it better.

Barry

tnx for the posting, and sorry if it appears as a dup....

I guess I was trying to focus the thread on the "why we do this" vs the "this is what we do". Our Troop currently has JLT as a pre-req for getting elected, which seems tough to handle.

I like your idea of splitting it up, and "before" just covering something like an intro: teamwork, leadership, patrol method,

along with each POR and what it involves.

Then after they are elected, re-visiting the subjects with more focus.

I don't think a boy can be a real effective green bar leader, if he hasn't attended JLT. That's why we make JLT attendance manditory for a boy who wants to serve in one of those positions. The elections, however, take place before JLT. The JLT dates are advertised and a boy running for a green bar position knows he is expected to be there. (This is referring to our Fall election cycle).

We do the JLT in the late August - Early September timeframe, which seems to have very little conflicts from the standpoint of sports. I have no problem saying "This is very important, and you need to make it your priority for this weekend. If you have something else scheduled, you should put this first". Now, if a boy has the state championships in his sport that weekend, we'll be understanding, schedule around it or have a special meeting with him. But if it's just a "run of the mill soccer game", then I have no problem telling him that he must attend.

In the Spring, we're planning to do something similar to what Barry suggests. We're going to have a mini-JLT, focusing on their new offices, having their new leader orientation all wrapped up together with it. I think that's a good mid-year approach.

Wonder what your calendar looks like for new scouts, PLC elections & JLT.

We have new scouts join in Jan/Feb,

with an election every 6 months for SPL, etc.

The new Patrols rotate PL more often.

Looking at last year's calendar, we had elections in March and September. The March PLC carry over into running summer camp, and the September PLC handles the new incoming scouts program.

The JLT is held in Jan/Feb after the new Scouts have joined.

Elections held and troop leader appointments made in Feb & August.

Crossover in March/April.

Troop Guide serves for 12 months.

JLT in August-September

Mini-JLT in Feb-March

We're a young troop, so this is our first year with a true NSP program. We plan to rotate PLs each month, from April until next February's election. Depending upon the size of the patrol, some scouts may get to be PL twice.

NSP will work closely with their Troop Guide to learn the process. We'll likely incorporate some leadership topics into their early training. All members of the NSP will be encouraged to participate in JLT this Fall, especially those that want to be a "real" PL (i.e. elected for a six month term) come next February.

Barry -

Point well taken. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm talking from the position of someone with a troop less than two years old. When we first started, it was difficult to get the guys to think of it as something other than "Webelos with a different name". It wasn't until we had our first JLT that we saw the lights go on in the eyes of some of the boys (probably 3 or 4 our 10). I think this is what you meant by "we found that the small act of taking the course started the scout toward thinking of next level of his scouting career." Some of the guys came out of JLT with a new view on patrol and troop leadership.

I also agree that the need for JLT would be significantly lessened if we had senior guys showing younger guys how it's done (correctly, of course). By starting a troop from scratch, this is what I missed out on the most. With that said, I still believe JLT is an essential part of developing a young boy in to a leader in any troop. The older boys may show him some of the "hows", but JLT helps him understand the "whys".

If done well, JLT takes the veil of mystery off of the leadership role. The boys see how it can be done, and see their place in the troop. It can really stimulate them on to bigger roles and taking on things that they never would have dreamed of before.

If I may borrow your phrase... "I love this scouting stuff".

p.s. I agree with the Den Chief statement. I just wish I could get the boys to understand it as well.