Help for new patrol leaders

We'll be having elections soon. Our troop is small and new, so it is a lock that we will have young and inexperienced patrol leaders, having already "used up" our experienced scouts. I can already envision them having problems getting their patrols in line. My vivid mental image is of a patrol leader saying "Do this" and a boy about his age saying "NO WAY!" and the patrol leader going to the scoutmaster and saying "He won't do what I tell him...."

I'll be doing at least part of the training. What do each of you think is key for them (or the adults - I'm going to try to train them too) to learn in order to be successful in their new roles?

You might consider appointing PL's rather than having an election, or at least appointing SPL's and ASPL. The reason is that it will give you an opportunity to select the "born leader" types rather than the most popular kids that tend to get elected. I know that elections are the prefered method, but in a new troop you would gain more by having your best scouts in leadership roles, setting the example that the next generation of leaders can follow.

Sager,

I have to disagree with smaster101. If you choose the leader than thePatrol Leader doesn't feel they have the confidence of their patrol, and the patrol still feels you are in charge.

Use the BSA program. Form New Scout Patrols. rotate the patrol leadership every 30days to allow each scout to learn about the the role of the Patrol Leader. If you don't have any older scouts to be the Troop Guide, train an assistant Scoutmaster to do the job until you get older scouts.

The first year the most important thing is to work on Tenderfoot to First Class requirements to give them their basic skills and to hook them on the program. Then, after they get to First Class they will become a regular patrol or join a regular patrol and elect their Patrol Leader for a recommended 6-month tenure.

The Patrol Method works in any size troop with any age of scout. Stick to the program, that's what the boys are promised in their handbook, that's what they joined Boy Scouts for.

By the way what is the current scout structure of the troop? How many boys how many patrols? What Junior Leader positions do they have?

Bob White

Sager:

There's no BSA policy that PLs can't serve consecutive terms. If your experienced Scouts are willing to do that until the newer Scouts are ready for it, that's an option.

I recommend JLT for all new leaders as soon as possible after they get their patches. And, I also include my assistants in everything the primaries do -- after all, you can't expect an APL to fill in for the PL if he has no idea what the PL does.

If the new Scouts rotate leadership positions frequently, they'll all learn soon enough how difficult it is to lead, and should have more empathy for their buddy when it's his turn.

We've recently instituted rules/consequences, too. You might say the Scout Oath and Law should be enough. In theory I agree, but in order to be inclusive, they're somewhat abstract. Our PLC came up with eight simple rules and four simple graduated consequences that have defined "A Scout is Obedient" a little more clearly. Since they did, our meeting decorum has improved considerably.

What's important for them to know? Well, the JLT curriculum for starters. Beyond that, the whole drill of annual program planning, monthly program themes, planning troop meetings, and planning and executing campouts/outings is essential. If they jump into that with both feet, they'll understand the whole program better. I also recommend that the PLC have at least a vague familiarity with the GTSS -- helps them understand the program constraints and eliminates the "Let's do paintball" suggestions...

Good Luck.

The current structure is 2 patrols, the SPL is our only Life scout, a fine young man of 16. The PL of the two patrols are the two Star scouts in the troop, twin brothers and brother of the SPL. These 3 boys were appointed by the SM (their dad) for the getting-started phase of this troop, which I personally think was a practical call, but it's soon time to shuffle the deck. My son is a second-class scout, soon to be first class. All other scouts are Scouts or Tenderfoot. We've got 10 on the roster, and are recruiting constantly trying to get to critical mass.

The new-scout/experienced scout patrol cut doesn't seem practical because the experienced scout patrol would be a)rather small, and b) almost all one family. Particulary, putting the twins together in the patrol is probably not a great idea. These older scouts are pretty good about helping the newer scouts with skills.

OK, now that you have a clearer picture, does anyone's advice change or do you have anything else to add?

SagerScout,

I would keep the current SPL on for another term. This would keep experienced leadership at the top.

As for the PL's I would talk to the SPL & see what his feelings are about who might be able to lead the patrols (I assume you have 2). It might be the current PL's. I would consider having 2 APL's to give them the experience of leadership without all the responsibility right away.

I have never liked the "rotate PL's every 30 days" method. I feel this doesn't give the Scout enough time to do anything as a leader. A "full time" PL is better.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I would still stick to the Patrol Method. Let the troop elect a Senior Patrol Leader, Let the other two patrols elect their own Patrol Leader.

Don't worry about the "smoothness" of troop operation worry about the "purpose" of troop operation, to give boys leadership training and the arena to lead in. It's about the opportunity to lead not about the efficiency of operation.

As far as New Scout Patrols, I would wait until the next group of Webelos crosses over. Remember that the 30-day rotation of leadership in the New Scout patrol is to give the new scouts an understanding of troop and patrol operation not to teach leadership. In this first year they need to be working on Tenderfoot to First Class. Leadership training begins with their first regular elected or appointed office.

Follow the Patrol method and you can't go wrong.

Bob White

The current SPL, while doing a dandy job IMHO, is getting a little worn out by the responsibility and is ready to hand it off to someone else at least for a while. The only choices are his two brothers or my son. I can reasonably anticipate difficulties with any of these. However, I do agree with BW that it's better to stick to the plan and have elections.

We have a strong likelihood of ending up with inexperienced scouts in the PL spots. That's the reason I started this thread in the first place, so I could help them as much as possible...

We haven't identified a candidate group of Webelos yet, one of the downsides of being a brand new troop with no pack to feed into us yet. But we are definitely looking!

Julia

Sager;

A big "Roger" to Bob on the smoothness comment. If you have new leaders, or if they're doing something new for the first time, or just about any time, "smooth" is something you'll probably be in no danger of becoming if the boys are actually leading this effort. Again, I think the key is to follow the program, and once these leaders are elected, train and mentor them a lot.

I drove by our chapel the other day, and on the marquee out front were the words: "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called".

• 2 months later...

My 2 cents: Stick with the Patrol Method - Scouting is about new boys learning to lead, usually trying leadership for the first time. Do a JLT immediately to give you and the boys confidence.

I know it's tough to see the stronger leaders move on - BUT remember that great SPL's first day.....

In our Troop, the PROCESS is more important than the PRODUCT. The boys will not remember how good a job they did as new PL, (they all think they're working harder than the last PL!), but for the rest of their life they will always remember that they were elected by their buddies. When the PLs are weak, the ASMs quietly take up the slack by helping the PL.

When the boys see the adults believing in them and helping them, they step up to the plate. When they know they have a say, they speak up.

This constant personal growth and renewal is the lifeblood of a Troop.

PS - we set very tough guidelines for rank and attendance to run for office. We also make it COOL to be an officer - extra treats, extra honors, stay up later on campouts, constant recognition, call them Mr. SPL...The boys LOVE a challenge!

• 7 months later...

"As far as New Scout Patrols, I would wait until the next group of Webelos crosses over. Remember that the 30-day rotation of leadership in the New Scout patrol is to give the new scouts an understanding of troop and patrol operation not to teach leadership. In this first year they need to be working on Tenderfoot to First Class. Leadership training begins with their first regular elected or appointed office.

That makes sense to me. I've been reading about the patrol method, and looking about for how best to apply it to our just crossed over (last night) group. The boys are going into a well established Troop so my concerns will probably be put to rest at the first meeting.

-New ASM

>>Remember that the 30-day rotation of leadership in the New Scout patrol is to give the new scouts an understanding of troop and patrol operation not to teach leadership. In this first year they need to be working on Tenderfoot to First Class. Leadership training begins with their first regular elected or appointed office.

Scouts not only learn how to be leaders but also how to be one of the led. Most scouts learn how to be led fairly well but when we have one that does follow leadership instructions well are reminded that when they are disrespectful to their PL or SPL they are also being disrespectful to the Troop and the adult leaders.

Once they learn that an instruction from their PL or SPL is the same as coming from an adult leader the problem usually goes away. Of course, they are taught that if they have a legitimate problem with the instruction, they have the opportunity to bring it to the attention of the next level of leadership. Chain is something like this PL, SPL, TG, ASM, SM. Works well for us.

yis

I'd like to offer a different view from Red Feather's.

If you teach scouts to follow Patrol Leaders and other Junior Leaders because they speak for the scoutmaster, what you are saying in effect is "the scoutmaster is in charge" and not the Junior Leaders.

Patrol Leaders do not need the force of the scoutmasters authority. What they need is for the patrol members to understand that by the act of electing their own patrol leader they make an agreement to follow them.

The same holds true with the Senior Patrol Leader. The patrol leaders should follow him not for fear of the SM but because the Senior Patrol Leader was chosen by the majority of the scouts to lead the Patrol Leaders.

We should be teaching the structure of our society of elected representation. As citizens we hopefully follow the laws of our community not for fear of the police but for respect for our chosen government and the decisions we we elected them to make on our behalf.

The purpose of a police force is not to scare people to follow laws but to protect those who do. The purpose of the SM is not to scare people into following, but to train those who lead.

Junior leadership needs no other authority than that which is given them through elections. They need to be taught how to lead not through the SM authority but through understanding the needs and characteristics of those they lead and a clear understanding of what they are leading them to.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)