Jump to content

Medical Forms for Family Overnighter

Recommended Posts



WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!!!!!!!!! And yes I am yelling at ya ;)


Now every single person, from the 6 month old infant to the 75 y.o. grandfather needs a health form, parts A and C if memory serves.


can it be a P.I.T.B., yes it can. Can it save a life, YES.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Parts A and B are to be completed at least annually by participants in all Scouting events. This health history, parental/guardian informed consent and release agreement, and talent release statement are to be completed by the participant and parents/guardians.


All participants (includes family not just youth) .....all events.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, parts A & B for ALL participants - scouts, parents, siblings. Yes it can be a PITB. Note that there is a new form. (4 pages long)


You do know that overnighters require a tour and activity plan? There must be at least one registered leader with youth protection, hazardous weather, and BALOO training for Cubs. There is a spot on both the paper and online versions to verify that you have collected both a permission form and a medical form from each participant. (this also applies to many day events) If you check this off but have not actually collected these forms, guess who becomes liable? Tour leader(s), committee chair, and chartered rep/org.


In large packs, collecting forms for outings can be more work than one person can handle.


It helps to:

Collect all scout medical forms at the start of each school year. (They are used to filling out these types of forms for school)

Have a permission form template that you can update and hand out prior to each outing. (school field trips require these as well)

Collect a medical form from the parent(s) that attends day outings.

Then when you have a family event you will only need to collect forms from the other parent and siblings.

You could ask the den leaders or a parent from each den to collect the forms from their den.

Bring extra blank permission and medical forms to the outing. If necessary, they can be filled out then.


Our district holds a family camping night in September. They require us to turn in a copy of the medical forms for everyone. This takes the heat off us, gives us most of our families' forms at the beginning of the school year, and helps get families in the habit of having to turn in these forms.


IMHO it is dishonest to hold a pack event but call it a family outing, and lame to do this to avoid some paperwork.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums NationalTrailEagle!


As others have state, medical forms should be filled out for every person attending your Pack Family Overnighter. The Pack should already have the forms for all of the Scouts, so all you need is parents, and siblings.


This should have been covered in your BALOO training. Which is also required for a Pack Family Overnighter. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Our pack does not do this, and quite frankly it seems ridiculous. Parents are bringing their own kids and are responsible for them. This would be a big hassle for someone for absolutely no apparent benefit..."


This is our approach as well since parents are responsible for their own children and scouts. For Pack Family Camping, we file a Tour Permit but we don't mess with the Medical Forms and Release Forms.


The only times we bring Health and Release Forms is at a BSA resident camp which always requires these forms at check-in. The other time is for Webelos Den Camping where we require Health/Release/Permission Forms for scouts attending without their parents.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't have to file a Tour Permit if we stay within the council boundaries for our pack campouts. Perhaps that is why I didn't know we were suppose to have medical forms for every participant. Is this rule a national rule or a council rule? I guess if RichardB says so, it's a national rule.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sasha, from the Guide to Safe Scouting, http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss05.aspx (every unit needs a copy, and every leader should read through it at least once)


In order to provide better care for its members and to assist them in better understanding their own physical capabilities, the Boy Scouts of America recommends that everyone who participates in a Scouting event have an annual medical evaluation by a certified and licensed health care provider a physician (M.D. or D.O.), nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. Providing this medical information on the four-part medical record, the Annual Health and Medical Record (found under forms on Scouting Safely at www.scouting.org), will help ensure that the minimum standards for participation in various activities are met. Note that unit leaders must always protect the privacy of unit participants by protecting their medical information. Do not transmit medical information through unsecured devices or programs, such as e-mail or the Web.

Parts A and B are to be completed at least annually by participants in all Scouting events. This health history, parent or guardian informed consent and hold harmless/ release agreement, and talent release statement are to be completed by the participant and parents or guardians.

Adult unit leaders should review participants health history and become knowledgeable about the medical needs of the youth members in their unit.

This form is to be filled out by participants and parents or guardians, and kept on file for easy reference.

Part C is the physical exam that is required for participants in any event that exceeds 72 consecutive hours, for all high-adventure base participants, or when the nature of the activity is strenuous and demanding. Service projects or work weekends may fit this description.

Part C is to be completed and signed by a certified and licensed health care providerphysician (M.D. or D.O.), nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.

It is important to note that the height-to-weight limits must be strictly adhered to when the event will take the unit more than 30 minutes away from an emergency vehicle-accessible roadway, or when the program requires it, such as backpacking trips, high-adventure activities, and conservation projects in remote areas.

Part D is required to be reviewed by all participants of a high-adventure program at one of the national high-adventure bases and shared with the examining health care provider before completing Part C.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, click23. I get it, it just seems to be one of those things that isn't evenly requested/enforced across BSA, at least in my experience. We have BALOO-trained leaders and we do district Cub Scout events, so I would have expected it to come up before now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...