So ya have a new leader fills out the application......

As a good leader you call the references who are friends and family.......Who exalt the leader is a great guy or gal bet their lives on it.......hmmmmmm

Really

So I called the DE and asked him, what is involved in the Background check, who does it???? Local police, State Police, Private agency???? Well he wouldn't tell me......So I have my doubts about it being done.........or it just might be a quick search of scout net to make sure they are not on the ban for life list.

As a Troop or Pack Do you go beyond just calling the references???

What service do you use or do just check the local civil and criminal courts websites??????

The other question......Pro's does you council actually do the background check?????? How extensive is it????

Our council contracts with a company that runs criminal background checks. Or at least, we did as of a few years ago (I'm less connected these days and I suppose this might have changed). I know this to be true because we had one guy with a fairly common name, whose application was initially denied on the basis that he was a fugitive from justice with a long rap sheet in another state. Wasn't him (in ways that were demonstrable), but it was evidence that somebody was doing a background check.

There are online services you can purchase that search public records. You punch in the name and SSN, and the computer does all the work. The SE and staff aren't doing it themselves. The DE probably didn't answer because he didn't know. My guess is it's handled by a clerk at the council office.

My district has some convicted felons who are adult leaders. One easy way to discover this is to look up the court dockets from your county court of common pleas under criminal section. It's all public record. I was suspicious of a guy in the district. Did a quick search on the court docket and found he was a convicted felon. I took my concerns to my then DE. She also looked and found what I did on the docket. I asked her the same questions - how did this guy slip past the background check? And what constitutes being a crime that would prevent an adult from being registered. It been a few years now and the individual is still quite active. Former DE did not know or would not tell me what would cause a person not to be registered.

Must be top secret council stuff.

When the background check program was initiated, I believe there was a national contract signed with one of the background check firms. I believe that company is still the one being used. The firm is called Choicepoint, which is part of Lexis/Nexis.

Choicepoint is a data aggregator. They buy databases (such as arrest and criminal conviction records) from various jurisdictions and combine that data into massive information banks. There is some question on how up to date and accurate this data is, but firms like this are really the only way to do a fully national search.

I don't know if each council has its own login to Choicepoint, and checks are done locally, or if the searches take place at the National council, but it is done, and its more than the reference check.

I can't imagin council not doing background checks. Way too much liability. If someone with a "record" did do something and council didn't do a background check, someone's could be in a whole lot of trouble.

Now I could see where they wouldn't check those that renew membership.

"What is a disqualifying conviction????? or offense????? "

Here is a link to the 2008 "Procedures for Maintaining Standards of Membership and Leadership" manual, http://pushies.com/documents/28-105_PMSML.pdf

According to this, there are three categories of offences,

Category I Offenses - applicant will be disqualified from membership in the Boy Scouts of America regardless of any other factor.

Category II Offenses - applicant may be accepted as a member in the BSA at the request of the applicant, upon the recommendation of the chartered organization, and with the concurrence of the Scout executive (or designee), based upon an evaluation a list of criteria

Category III Offenses - the Scout executive (or designee) may determine that it is advisable to discuss the offenses with the chartered organization, agree on the processing of the application, and receive verbal or written approval to accept the application.(This message has been edited by click23)

A couple of years ago, Choicepoint was acquired by LexisNexis who subsequently merged data bases . Both companies had serious data security breaches prior to merging.

My understanding is that National/Council obtains a "consumer reports" from LexisNexis. LexisNexis

provides "personal information reports" (their term) covering insurance, mortgage information, employment, resident history, liens, lawsuits, healthcare, credit history, divorce, motor vehicle ...far more than "consumer information". What parts the BSA uses is unknown, but we signed away permission on the adult membership form.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/

My $0.02(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

We also had an individual denied due to a conviction last year, so the checks are being done.

As to what DE's know, sometimes they don't know much. Trust me on that one, I wasn't told things I should have known about back in the day.