Alumni Award - Alumni Connection Card

Those are the e-cards that I have seen UCEagle72.

I am talking about the requirement that states "Make contact with at least 5 adult alumni, not currently registered with the BSA, engage them in a serious discussion about the Scouting program, provide them each with an Alumni Connection card and follow-up to see if they have visited the web site."

I would think that in order to engage them in a serious discussion you would have to talk to them face to face, and that provide them each with an Alumni Connection card would be a business card like card with instructions on how to register at the website.

I may be totally wrong and this is frustrating!

Yea it looks like just another National scheme to raise more money:

"Solicit FOS contributions from at least two other Alumni."

"Get at least two former scouts/scouters to register as Alumni."

It is the same old scam for MONEY and MEMBERS and your reward is a little cloth knot, Mazzuca is at it again and shows there is no dignity left at National anymore I guess.

Raising money is a fact of life. I don't see the requirement as being unreasonable or burdensome. You don't even have to actually persuade anyone to donate, just ask.

I was recruited to be an Assistant Scoutmaster for a troop by a friend of mine who had a boy in a troop. As a result of his interest in me and the Scout program, I've contributed many thousands of hours to Scouting. Was it wrong for him to ask?

I kind of like the business card approach. It lends itself to informally addressing groups of people you are in and inviting their interest in becoming adult leaders. No doubt the large majority will just throw the card out --- but a few may be glad to have an invitation to participate.

If you talk to your friends and acquaintances about the good experiences they had in Scouting, a few may be interested in making a FOS contribuition to carry on that program.

I see this as a low key way to invite more people to consider supporting Scouting with their time and/or money. I expect there are millions of people out there who would be glad to do that if they were asked.

SP

Anytime an organization you are a member of asks you for a donation thats fine, but when they use you to solicit donations from strangers or even friends that is just using your goodwill to line their pockets and then they reward you with a knot for your uniform. To me that just cheapens the value of the whole scheme. It also states to "solicit funds from two or more other alumni", that means more than just asking it means getting MONEY. Anyway you want to view this it still is just IMO another money raising scam on the part of National disguised as an award/recognition program, you get two guys, then they get four guys etc, etc, in financial circles that is called a Pyramid Scheme.

Hello BadenP,

Sorry, I disagree, and I think you have to exagerate to turn this into something bad.

Raising money for charities is one of the most common things that charities do. It's an entirely legitimate thing for charitable organizations to do.

Is this legitimate function being carried out in an illegitimate way in this instance? I don't think so.

It's being done in an entirely up front way. People who want to participate in the program to help Scouting are encouraged to do so. If they don't do so, nothing forces them to do so.

As to being a "pyramid scheme," I seem nothing of the sort. A person who makes a contribution has no obligation to participate in the Scouting alumni program, and I imagine that few would.

The "upline" donor isn't going to rake in any percentage of the contributions. Calling it a payramid scheme is entirely bogus, in my opinion. Scouting alumni are simply being encouraged to ask friends, neighbors an relatives to consider making a gift to support Scouting. I don't even see a requirement that people solicited actaully make contributions, only that they be asked.

I see no reasonable basis for objections. Indeed, it's a good idea ----how well it works in practice would be the real issue.

SP

There are ways to raise money and ways not to raise money, this type of method is indeed a type of pyramid scheme which you do not seem to understand how it works, and that is no exaggeration either. I would have more respect for National if they just recruited alumni most who would be happy to make a contribution, instead they disguise it as legit by creating a knot award program for basically going out and hustling money for National, and that makes it unethical and invalid by any measure you want to use. National is indeed the upline beneficiary who for the cost of less than $1.00 worth of materials gain a minimum of three contributions. What does that knot really mean anyway, it sure isn't for service to the youth, but for talking two or three other guys into parting with some of their money. Does that really deserve a knot?

I just wish National would call it what it truly is and not award a uniform knot which is supposed to represent service to the youth.(This message has been edited by BadenP)(This message has been edited by BadenP)

Hello BadenP,

One of the national goals has been to significantly increase the number of Scout volunteers. I'm supposing this Scouting alumni program is a part of that kind of goal.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but my impression is that people are encouraged to contribute to their council. That's supporting youth as far as I'm concerned. And I see no requirement that three contributions be received, only that people be asked. No harm in that.

Reading over this program made me aware that I should be making more of a point to ask more people to support Scouting. I make the pitch as a district volunteer at Troop and Pack FOS presentations, but I hadn't thought about asking for contributions outside of that contect.

Frankly, I think the business card method is a good one that might encourage more people to get involved in Scouting and make contributions. That would be a good thing, and I see this program as a positive idea. How well it works in practice is the real issue in my opinion.

You are certainly welcome to your negative view of this program. I consider it an innovative way to bring in more adult volunteers and money.

Well, there is precedent the James E West knot is a knot that is "bought" although the money raised for the West Knot is for the Council, this knot is for raising money for National

Although, I had thought in a pyramid scheme everybody is suppsoed to get money, like Amway or I sell you a money order for 10 dollars for 20 dollars and then you send it to the name on the list and then get two other money orders for 10 dollars and put your name on the list and then you sell each of the money orders for 20 dollars ...

"I am talking about the requirement that states "Make contact with at least 5 adult alumni, not currently registered with the BSA, engage them in a serious discussion about the Scouting program, provide them each with an Alumni Connection card and follow-up to see if they have visited the web site."

I would think that in order to engage them in a serious discussion you would have to talk to them face to face, and that provide them each with an Alumni Connection card would be a business card like card with instructions on how to register at the website.

I may be totally wrong and this is frustrating!"

My Council has these in a holder in the Scout Shop. Just pick up as many as you need. I've already given out over 20 to alumni.