Well, my BEST turnout for a Boy Scout recruiting night was the Video Game night I ran and promoted. We had loads of new boys show up that I had never seen before. And never saw again.

But my best method for Boy Scout recruiting at a booth is the stationary bicycle race I mentioned earlier. I bought a good staionary bicycle at a thrift shop for $10 or so, but you may have a family that has one.

I stopped by bicycle shops and solicited them for bicycle advertizing posters to decorate a booth.

I had a bicycle ride scheduled for the week after the booth promotion.

A Boy Scout in uniform (or an adult in uniform) stands out in front of the booth and solicits every Scout aged boy to do the stationary bicycle race. ("Can YOU be the FASTEST?").

You can also invite other adults or children to do the race. The MOST competetive group were some off durty fireman who walked by one time! Scouts might like to invite cute girls...

That might get them to turn out, anyway.

Adjust the bicycle to fit the user. Of course, this is a RACE, so get the name, age and phone number of Scout age participants so you can call them with the results. And invite them along to your Troop meeting and bicycle trip.

Use a stop watch to measure how long it takes them to race a half mile or a mile. Adjust the resistance so they have to work at it some.

I made up a board and could put the 3x5 card with the name and time of the racer among those who raced by the time it took them.

I had very good results with this.

For recruiting Cub Scouts, my favorite was to have young boys pound a nail in a block of wood while the parent assisted their son. inviting them to a pack meeting or recruiting night was easy with that kind of simple shared experience.

But the key is getting out there to SELL the idea of participating. You need someone who will act like a carnival barker!

But really, selling a FREE fun activity is pretty easy!

I have to agree with shortridge (and Kudu), Kudu's method is very effective if you are really interested in showing boys and parents what scouting is truly all about. I have used a similar version of the same thing years ago when I was a SM, and the BSA was still welcome into the schools, and it worked great. Hands on scouting activities instead of hearing an hour long speech is always much more effective in bringing in new recruits to your troop, pack or crew. AS Kudu states in his outline followup is the other key element in recruiting success.

Tell your DE your troop hasn't saturated (reached all the 12-17 year olds in town who could be scouts), and because you'll jump through paperwork hoops for him, he'll jump through recruiting hoops for you.

Your boys need to do a couple of p.r. service projects. Here are some ideas:

- Build a pioneering "gatway" on the roadside into town. Weave "Welcome to ___, Troop ###" in the lashings.

- Help the veterans place flags on Memorial day.

- Hold a father-son event, like a fishing contest.

- Provide color guard at the opening High School Baseball game.

- Get a picture of your boys and the SM at a campout in the local paper.

- Offer to hold a flag retirement service on Flag Day.

Have your boys pick their three favorites and go for it. (Pick three because in all likelihood two will fall through.) These can also involve your Pack. The point is, you want people in town asking their boys (or young ladies asking their boyfriends -- it happens), "Why aren't you in that troop?"

It is easy to pat your self on the back for being the most active troop in the council. You and son jump in the car and go do that activity and the troop participated. Try that with 10 or 20 boys. Remember it is boy lead.

I would call the boys and find out why the dropped out and see what you can do to get them to rejoin. I would recruit, recruit recruit. 1800 people there has to be 5 or 6 boys scout age that would be interested in scouting. you just need to find them.

Cooking the books is a violation of the scout law and I would not do it. I would go lone scout or find a troop in a nearby town before I would cook the books