Leaders not following the Scout Law & Oath

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beavah, I am still not getting your point and for that I am sorry. I said if a crime was actively being committed. That has nothing to do with this issue, it was a point about what the options are in some circumstance. I think you are very, VERY misguided about calling the police and about your "standing". If crime is occuring (not something in the past that you have knowledge of, that is not what I said and I think it is innapropriate to twist it to make it sound as if I had said that) you can call the police. In general, if you are somewhere and see an adult committing a crime (and I am assuming a "real" crime not jaywalking) I think you should call the police. I don't care if it is a theft in progress or a drunk driver on the highway, you call. To say you don't have standing is absurd, you do not need to have any dog in the fight to report a crime even that jaywalking!

You are correct, when I wrote YP, I was not talking about a minor one like one on one contact, I was talking about a violation of substance. I am sorry that my response was not better worded but it was an aside to the issue so I was not trying to detail things that were not about the issue, only point out where there are other reasons to handle things differently. In the future I will try and expand my response to say what I am thinking instead of trying to be brief when it is only an side note.

Beavah, I am still not getting your point and for that I am sorry.

No need to apologize, Hawkrod. Some folks find my writing sort of opaque. I think they just have trouble with da accent, eh? Yeh should hear OGE talkin' about how incomprehensible I can be! :)

My point is the same as moosetracker's and Scoutfish's. To give a good answer or a trustworthy answer, we need details. Very few things are so very extreme as to have absolutely clear cut responses. Even da worst of YP issues requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, and coordination to respond to effectively, for those of us who sadly have had to deal with such things.

In Scoutin', yeh almost never run across that stuff at the regular volunteer level. Instead, yeh see people just being people. Makin' bad assumptions, communicatin' imperfectly, having different goals/values/visions/backgrounds, not havin' enough experience, not understandin' the program beyond their little corner of it, etc. Never assume a felony when things can be explained by just a disagreement between "personalities." I think almost all of us read pack195's post as being one of these ordinary things, as TwoCubDad describes.

Why proceed with wisdom and caution? Because we aren't da ones witnessing a crime, eh? We're the ones listening from afar to the hearsay evidence given by one party to a dispute. So we have to act in that way, eh? In order to adhere to the Oath and Law, we have to be Mentally Awake. We have to try to understand enough to be truly Helpful. We have to be Loyal, Courteous, and Kind not just to the poster, but to our brother and sister scouters who are being accused of wrongdoing.

Or at least we have to hear enough to figure out what the best advice should be.

Beavah