Where can I go to learn more about BSA policies regarding disabilities?

I would like to learn more about BSA policies and disabilities. I found a reference for advancements, but I am interested more in what are reasonable accommodations for disabled scouts as members of the troop and its activities.

Thank you.

Ask for these at the council office or Scout Shop:

A Guide to Working with Scouts with Disabilities #33056

Scouts With Disabilities and Special Needs fact sheet, No. 02-508

Scouting for Youth With Emotional Disabilities, No. 32998D

Scouting for Youth With Physical Disabilities, No. 33057D

Scouting for Youth With Mental Retardation, No. 33059C

Scouting for Youth Who Are Deaf, No. 33061B

Scouting for the Blind and Visually Impaired, No. 33063D

Scouting for Youth With Learning Disabilities, No. 33065B

Hello sasha,

Your local council office should have several guides available on Scouting with Disabilities, as well as names of troops that might have the resources to do a good job with assisting youth with a particular disability. Sometimes there are troops that "specialize" in scouts with disabilities; sometimes troops just have a lot of resources or experienced volunteers that are good at providing appropriate accommodations.

Aside from BSA camps, which will have some policies in place, the BSA does not dictate policies to the individual troops. Each troop's volunteers make decisions on what they feel comfortable being responsible for and accommodating within their program, with guidance from their Chartered Organization's policies.

Can you share what the particular question or sort of issue is that you are dealin' with? I expect a lot of folks on da forums can offer suggestions.

Beavah

All of these:

Scouting for Youth With Emotional Disabilities, No. 32998D

Scouting for Youth With Physical Disabilities, No. 33057D

Scouting for Youth With Mental Retardation, No. 33059C

Scouting for Youth Who Are Deaf, No. 33061B

Scouting for the Blind and Visually Impaired, No. 33063D

Scouting for Youth With Learning Disabilities, No. 33065B

have been superceded by the manual to which the link was given. It has sections on each of these topics.

Thank you! The link provided by Scoutnut is perfect, what I needed. Beavah, I don't have a specific question or problem. Rather, we have several boys with disabilities in the troop and a lack of experience with dealing with issues that arise as a result. So I am in the information-gathering stage to learn more. I did a search on scouting.org with no success, but I knew someone here would have the right links or resources for me!

Glad yeh found what you're looking for to get started, sash. Feel free to come back and post specific questions like "we're not sure how to support a new boy who has Aspergers" or "has anyone dealt with a wheelchair bound CP scout?"

Yeh can also try searching on da specific disability. I'm sure we've had threads on autism and other disabilities.

Beavah