• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ScoutMythBuster,

First, and foremost, I would say that you have to look at what was causing the violent outbursts to begin with, before expulsion from the Troop. Is it something that can be corrected? Many times in situations like this, it gets tricky because now is when this young boy could use Scouting more than ever. With that said, your obligation to the other Troop's leaders depends on the situation. Was this boy getting physical because he was being picked on (and only the retaliation was noticed by the adult leadership)? If that's the scenario, then it may not be necessary. If the boy was genuinely being a bully, it may be a good idea to give a heads up. Regardless of which type of situation it is, if you decide to inform the other Troop's leadership, then I would say to emphasize that you are only informing them so that they can be on their toes, and not get blindsided with whatever situation may arise. Perhaps with this boy joining the other Troop, he will fit in better and he might not have tendencies toward violent outbursts. Also, was it a simple punch in the arm, or did he pin down another boy, wailing on him until he broke his nose?

There are a lot of different angles to look at before making your decision, and the original post doesn't quite have enough information to make a clear cut yes or no answer. Personally, I would say that a general heads up might be a good idea...but emphasize that that is all it is, and not to treat him differently, or expel him from that Troop, etc. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

YIS,

Ryan

Perhaps the situation was not handled correctly to begin with. You do not indicate whether the removal for "violence" was connected with any sort of injury. If there was an injury, it should have been reported to the SE. From G2SS:

The unit should inform the Scout executive about all incidents that result in a physical injury or involve allegations of sexual misconduct by a youth member with another youth member.

If it were reported to the SE, it would be up to him if the boy could continue with the BSA. If the incident was not so severe as to cause injury, I agree that there is some judgement involved. Was there a serious threat without actual injury? Too many variables to form an informed opinion.

We have had a few scouts transfer to other units and I always give the receiving SM a call to fill him with my insights - both positive and negative.

I am always clear these are my impressions and I hope the boy finds the new unit to be a better fit.

For boys with a history of problems, I believe this information could be very useful for the new SM to help the scout family (scout + parents) adjust into his new home troop.

If he was expelled from the troop I serve for something serious, like violence, I would personally consider it negligence if I didn't let the new unit know.

The scout deserves an opportunity to start over, but the SM deserves the heads up so he can keep an extra eye on things in order to better help the transfer scout and protect the ones he already has. Indeed, his first priority is to protect the existing members of his troop. After that he has to decide if he can handle the new challenge. In order to do this, he needs information.

As a SM I would hope that pertinent, correct information would be passed on, common curtesy. (verified with visits to council leaders to the extent as to what council knows of course) Not to make a judgement on the scout but to be informed on what may impact the scouts and scouters currently in the troop that I serve and am responsible for.

Isn't that a bit of "Be Prepared"?

yis

red feather

Is this another one of your "What if" scenarios?

Again, per your previous posts, this incident happened OVER a YEAR ago. If you are just now wondering if you should talk to his new SM, I would ask - why did you wait so long?

Scoutfish,

I'm not sure I would like to know. It would result in it being much harder for the boy to escape his past. If it's not just an isolated incident, the new scoutmaster will find out quickly enough. If he contacted me, I would answer fully and truthfully. I'm just not sure if it would be good to contact the new SM. I'm a former middle/high school teacher, and being warned about a student by a former teacher never did me or the student any good.