Adult Award Requirements

As the new Cub Master for our pack, I want to make sure I recognize all our leaders and volunteers for what they do.

Not so much for our own benefit, but so the boys and the parents will maybe understand the time, effort, work, and training that the leadership and committee put themselves throughh.

So anyways, I pretty much see the point of most of the requirements.

Except one:

Under the requirements for the Cub Scouter Award:

"Give leadership to a promotional effort that results in at least 60 percent of pack members subscribing to Boys' Life magazine."

Come on ...really now?

Do we really need to put making BSA money - anywhere under being recognized as a good leader?

That one requirement, while the idea not a bad thing in general , shouldn't be the slightest part of what constitutes a great leader.

The way it's set up right now, you could could...in theory..have a leader who retains and advances 100% of his den, leads the boys to genuinely earn awards such as World Conservation, leave no trace, quality unit , Summertime den , and summertime activity for his entire den(s).......................

Yet fall short of the award as he didn't convince 60% of his boys parents to suscribe.

So, a couple of bucks negates everything he did.

Granted, the leader who does all that probably doesn't care about any award, but as a Cub Master, I'd like to be able to present that award!

I'd like to see that knot on his shirt!

In our Pack it is a non-isse because we include it in our annual dues. That was how it was before I got here, no one has complained and I suppose if they had a problem we would simply unsubscribe them...

But I can remember when I was a boy waiting (very impatiently) for the next issue to arrive, my sons seem to have the same interest in Boys Life (despite it having far less interesting advertisements in the back. I never did build a hovercraft with mom's vacuum nor did I get my x-ray glasses, but I sure did dream about it.

'Fish,

It is 1 of 10 performance measures, and only 5 are required to earn the award. The individual can choose from the list. As far as the Boys Life requirement, some packs already incorporate that into pack fees and thus fulfill a requirement for the Quality Unit award. (2 birds,1 stone).

What about the other requirement for Help conduct 2 annual FOS campaigns? Now you're asking the parents to donate money to the district/council for something they don't see the immediate benefit for. At least with BL, the boys see something tangible every month in the mail, all for about 1$ a month. Me personally, I enjoy going through BL every month and my boys like to read the stories in it. Pretty good ROI.

If you have active DL's and committee members, this is a pretty attainable award. It looks like it was designed for the Assistant DL or committee member who actually help out.

CUB SCOUTER KNOT AWARD

Tenure

Complete two years as a registered adult leader in a Cub Scout pack*

Training

Do all of the following:

* Complete Cub Scout Leader Fast Start training.

* Complete Youth Protection Training.

* Complete New Leader Essentials Training.

* Complete Job Specific Training for your position.

* During each year of tenure for this award, participate in a Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow or University of Scouting, or attend at least four roundtables.

Performance

Do five of the following:

* Assist in planning a pack program that results in advancement in rank by a minimum of 50 percent of pack members each year.

* Serve as an adult leader related to a pack that earns the National Quality Unit Award.

* Serve as leader for a blue and gold dinner, pinewood derby, space derby, raingutter regatta, field day, picnic or other Cub Scout activity.

* Give leadership to a promotional effort that results in at least 60 percent of pack members subscribing to Boy's Life magazine.

* Develop or update a Tiger Cub or Cub Scout den activity book listing places to go, things to do, costs, distances, etc., locally for five Tiger Cub areas, or for at least 12 Cub Scout themes.

* Give leadership to planning and conducting a pack service project.

* Organize participation of a pack in the Cub Scout Academics and Sports program.

* Help conduct two annual pack Friends of Scouting campaigns.

* Serve as a leader for members of your pack attending a Cub Scout day camp or resident camp.

* Serve one year as pack trainer, during which time 75 percent of registered pack and den leaders complete basic training for their positions.

*Dates of service used to earn one key or award cannot be used to earn another key or award.

WOW! Amazing isn't it?

those five simple words change everything.

Apparently, those words blended into the title of "Performance".

I totally did not see that!

NOw I have to smile because that means:

1) That is no longer an issue.

2)I can give these leaders some wearable recognition.

NOPE! I never said that not getting a patch negates everything he/she did.

What I said ( although it turns out to be based on me not being able to read) was :

"So, a couple of bucks negates everything he did"

Of course, this was my INCORRECT understanding of how not selling some magazines would prevent a leader from getting the award due to the requirements.

I never said or even implied that I thought, felt, believedor stood behind not having a patch meant his services were worth nothing and therefore negated.