That is the question for today. First some background. My troop (I am CC) is fairly new (chartered within the past three years, really active for just over one). We are in a semi-rural area in Northern AZ where the average income is, at best, lower-middle, and we are the only real traditional troop in the immediate area. LDS is the predominate religion here, so our recruiting pool is smaller than in other areas. We have tried/are trying various means of fundraising to support the troop with varying degrees of success.

The committee is considering imposing a yearly registration fee to try and offset the costs of some of the awards we present. I have had some boys earn upwards of 10 merit badges (at $2.29 each) a year, plus rank awards, plus awards from our hiking program, so we are shelling out some pretty good funds to keep up with the awards.

The logic behind this fee is that most other activities offered locally (ie soccer ($60), football ($125), baseball (not sure)) all have fees associated with them, and these things only last a matter of weeks, while our troop functions year-round. The thought is that it might also encourage the parents to engage more in the program if they have to pay a little more than standard registration costs.

My concern is that given the economic standing in the area, we might lose boys that would otherwise join.

So I am asking for feedback (its a gift, you know) from other units that have gone with a 'maintenance' fee. How well has it worked for you, and do you feel like you may have hurt your recruiting/retention efforts? How much do you charge, and what does it go for?

Thanks,

AZOwl...I used to be an Owl, and a good old Owl too!

How are you paying for things now?

Every unit I have gotten to know, charges some kind of fee. Some are low (my son's troop charges $30/yr, with a one-time $30 equipment fee for new scouts). Some are much higher (one troop in my area charges $150/year). The higher ones tend to include many regular events so that you are not paying out of pocket for every camp out, activity, etc. In my son's troop, there is a fee for each camp out so you pay as you go.

I don't think it is unreasonable to charge a fee. I would say, since you have a small troop and you're fairly new, bring a bunch of the parents into the discussion. Lay out for them what the money will/won't cover so that they see the need. They're much less likely to grumble if they understand where the money is going, and then they can help you explain it to new and prospective members, too.

Other than about $15 a month for campground/food/limited travel costs, we've gone with a fundraising model so far.

I have also toyed with the idea of a fee structure but to date (more than 30+ years of Troop history) we've been able to pay for the things you are talking about with OPM(Other Peoples Money) rather than placing the additional burden on the Parents.

Out of that fund also come First Aid supplies, Supplies for the Fundraisers, Awards, and Plaque Maintenance funds and a donation towards HA trips like Philmont.

It's worked so far for us but if you do go with the Fee model - let us know how its working for you at 6 months a year and two years, please?

Growing up, my troop had a $2/month troop dues, later upped to $3/month. That included charter fees, Boys' Life, advancement, etc. Mothly trips varies based upon the cost of the trip.

We also did one fundraiser/year that had two components: a craft fair at a local plantation. For the Scouts, we did cleanup and money from that went into individual accounts. The troop also ran a concession stand selling hot dogs and lemonade. That money went into troop coffers to pay for supplies and equipment.

"we are the only real traditional troop in the immediate area. LDS is the predominate religion here,"

I don't understand this. Are LDS units not traditional?

"so our recruiting pool is smaller than in other areas."

I understand the thought process behind this statement, but you might be surprised. Many of the LDS units have issues and sometimes people want to take their boys out of the local ward and into a community unit. Continue to do your recruitment at schools, etc., as you would anywhere else. Because the LDS members are scout-minded, if their ward's unit is less than perfect they might be even more inclined to seek you out.

The units I'm involved with do not have a fee system, relying on the fundraising system instead. Mainly because a fee system is against the rules for LDS units. I think it's because charging a fee might cause those less-fortunate to drop out. The fundraising model seems to work fine.

Another Owl who gives a Hoot.

Three years ago our troop went to a totally fee-based model.

We have always charged annual dues to cover registration and general operating expenses. Currently we charge $90 per year which is below average for the troops in our area.

A few years back we needed to make some serious upgrades to our troop camping gear but our main fundraiser was making less and less every year and had gotten to the point that it just wasn't worth the effort which went into it. At a court of honor, where we had a good crowd of parents, we threw the problem to the floor. With one exception, every family in the troop says, "how much do we write the check for?"

Since then we have charged a one-time equipment fee to new scouts of $125. Given the size of our brother Cub Scout Pack, we are in heavy growth mode and add one or two entire patrols every year. That's a lot of camping gear to buy. We do allow the new guys to pay the $125 over a two-year period if the want/need to. And from time to time we've waived the fee in certain cases.

Rarely do we charge a fee for a camping trip. Last year we did a shooting sports weekend and charged $10 per scout for ammo. Food, however, is handled by the patrols and the grub master is responsible for collecting food from everyone who goes on a campout. Usually runs about $12-15, depending the number of meals and the menu.

Although we don't really do troop fund raisers anymore, we are allowing our Scouts to participate in a discount book sale the council is conducting. We are in a fairly affluent area, but with the economy, we are seeing more families struggling (mine included). This is purely an individual thing and 100% of what the troop would earn goes to help pay dues, summer camp or other fees. But we're trying very, very hard not to turn it into Scout Accounts. We will probably do the same thing with popcorn in the fall.

Have you talked with your DE about access to Scoutreach funds? Only you know the details of your situation...

I'd talk quietly with parents, not in a group, but rather family by family, over a cup of coffee and/or a hot dog at the park. Get their thoughts on whether they'd like fundraising, dues, or a hybrid.

Like Bacchus said, focus on a vision of your Troop being the very best it can be. Then, seek out LDS youth. From what I've seen, the parish (ward) typically registers them automatically, so it's a matter of giving them better program, more fun, and more challenge than their parish Troop would.

Our Troop charges $48 per quarter for dues and this takes care of awards, re-charter, and boy's life magazine. Additional fees are collected for each campout or activity.

We have one significant fundraiser each year that gives the Scouts an opportunity to signifcantly reduce their cost. Each Scout gets to keep 2/3 of their sales proceeds with a credit to their Scout Account. They can use their credit balance toward future campouts, outing, dues, etc. A determined Scout can easily have more than a $200 credit balance in his account.

To answer your question, our Dues serve as the "maintenance fee" to fund Troop operations. Our fundraisers offer the opportunity for the boys to offset costs.

Thanks to all that replied so far...

Lisabob: We are paying for things through fundraising events. Some of these have been more productive than others, but we are continuing to discuss low-risk, high-benefit fundraisers. We also don't want to burn the boys out because all we do is ask for money.

Gunny: I tend to agree with the fundraising model. For me and my wife (she is still with the Pack), and my two sons to register (including Boys Life for the boys) its close to $100, without any fees. Add fees on top of that, and it gets even more expensive.

Bacchus: Traditional=Community units. With regards to the LDS units...I don't have a problem accepting LDS boys, but the LDS units emphasize different parts of the program to suit their goals. In my area, its pretty rare to have a LDS boy join a traditional/community unit because of that difference in focus. And I don't want to be accused of poaching boys either.

John-in-KC: Scoutreach funds in our area are very hard to come by. Our council is in one of the harder-hit economic areas, and I couldn't even get two boys partial camperships to Summer Camp because there wasn't enough money, even though the parents of my Pack and Troop made decent contributions to FOS. But that's a different issue...

Our troop charges annual dues (currently at $50/year). It also has 2 or 3 fundraisers (1 holiday item sale and 1 or 2 meal-type fundraisers (chili dinner, pancake breakfast etc.) per year. About 20 percent of the fundraising funds are credited to the boys to be used for camping fees or equipment, and are generally used for summer camp. The dues pay for registration and whatever is left, plus the net fundraising funds, covers advancements, equipment replacements and whatever else I am forgetting. For weekend camping trips there is a flat $10 fee that pays for food, plus for the occasional trip that requires buying tickets on a per-Scout basis (such as a battleship trip or a trip to one of the military academies where the troop attends a football game), the parents pay the ticket price.

Our troop families don't have much money. Therefore, the only items we collect money for are annual fees ($12 or so) and summer camp ($175). The Scouts do good with their fundraisers in the fall and spring and raise enough money to even cover camping food fees. We usually camp places where its free or very little to pay to camp. Many Scouts also earn enough to pay for summer camp as well. It can be done!

The current troop I am working with charges a fee of $1 a meeting so $4 a month and $56 a year. Since I have recently joined the troop I haven't seen it go to much. They claim the go on outings,I have yet to see it. I had to come in and change them from a "knots every meeting" troop. The other problem is the kids just don't pay it, we have one kid that is over $20 behind, and there really isn't anything they do about it. The leadership is off, but that's is a different thread.

In the troop I was a scout in, when I came in they had a decent amount of people and did a few fundraisers but most of the money had already been established and the CO funded a lot of the expenses.

I personally don't see a problem with a small fee, $150 seems a bit high but it was said that was a more active troop. I can easily see $50, but that my own opinion.

We charge $5/mo or $50/yr if you pay in Jan/Feb.

Activites we split the cost evenly per person. Some activites like backpacking don't have much in the way of fees so there is a cost savings there.. other activites ( ie.. we rent a cabin one weekend in the winter ) cost more.

We generally charge $5/person for gas, lower/none if close, more if farther away.

Regarding fund raisers, we split 50/50 troop/scout bucks. The troop also subsidizes summer camp depending on available funds. We've also been known to do a fundraiser for a specific activity ( Yellowstone ) to offset trip costs such as van rentals in this case.

You definitely gotta charge something up front so you have a balance and can fund your COH's.