WilVick's new post helped coerce me into writing an introductory note as well. Wil and I were on staff together at Camp Birch, Tecumseh Council, in the late 70s.

Looking back, I had an amazing set of experiences in the 7 years I was part of Troop 165, Xenia, OH: not only summer camp at Camp Birch several times, but summer camp twice on our own, the 1973 National Jamboree (Moraine S.P. in PA; it would be quite a fluke if anyone remembers "The World's Biggest Camera"), Philmont, a Maine High Adventure trip, camp staff for three years, OA, Brownsea (in Tecumseh Council's inaugural group). We did so much fundraising until finally settling on Christmas trees, that by the time I was asked to fundraise with the HS band, I knew instinctively what would sell and what wouldn't. I didn't waste my time with "what wouldn't".

Skip forward many years, and many miles to the northeast, and now I have two sons: one just transitioned into a scout troop, while the other is starting up his first year of Webelos. They joined, I think, because I was a scout, but I think they see it for its own merits by now.

I was active in their packs (we hopped among CS packs until we found one that fit), and I'm starting to be active with the troop now, and also at the district level. This Scouter business is all new to me, so I'm trying to move along slowly. It's also been fun reconnecting with my old SM, once again relying on his advice.

Guy(This message has been edited by GKlose)

Funny you should mention tornadoes...my 11y.o.'s science text mentioned the Xenia tornado, so I told his teacher that I would come into the class and show some pictures. I found a plethora of interesting material online, and added some slides that my dad had taken. I plan on putting the pictures up on the web Any Day Now.

And greetings back to those of you in Dayton. My dad was a Dayton-area architect, and left behind a few monuments to bad 50s-60s architecture! I haven't lived back there since the early 80s.

Hey there. I am from that area originally. Or at least maine. I probably would know the area you are from. I worked at Camp Hinds one year up in maine.

Any way, Welcome

SctDad

SctDad - from which area? Xenia, or the northeast? I live presently outside of Boston, in the Yankee Clipper Council (10k youth, 4k adult volunteers, I've heard) area.

On Maine: had one (fantastic) high adventure trip up to Matagamon base when I was a scout. We spent a week and a half on the Allagash and Webster Brook and environs. I returned several years later to canoe the East Branch (of the Penobscot) with a friend.

The Maine Matagamon base is still open (although not as a national high adventure area). I highly recommend the experience!

Ye-ah...

My mothah came frum Brookline and it toook fo'evah for hehr to loose hehr accent when she mooved down heah to Murlin. Course that was waay befoah Ah came along, but the accent was still theah, for me to mahvel at as Ah grewup. Then too, my Granmah had a good doze of the back bay for me to learn from...