Passing the buck or telling lies?

More and more lately I find myself passing the buck.

I work in a place where there are a lot of rules.

Some, in fact most of these are enforced all the time. Some are just there until someone gets a bee in their bonnet and there are a few that until something goes wrong are kinda just let go.

For my part, I know the rules, what they are and what they say.

When I look at the rule I can and do see why it is there and while maybe the why isn't always clear, I can take it to the next step and see that it makes sense.

My "Buck Passing" comes into play when I clamp down and enforce all the rules.

The honest truth is that I'm doing this because I feel if we have a rule it should be followed, but at times rather than just saying "I'm doing this because it's the right thing to do and it's what I get paid for!" I blame my boss or "Management".

Sure my bosses and the management do want all the rules to be followed. But when I pass the buck blaming them, nine times out of ten they haven't said a word.

In the thread about the un-paid popcorn. I found myself thinking that if I was dealing with the families, I would be very tempted, to explain to the families that a good reason to pay up what was owed would be to get the Council Guys off my back.

Even though in the thread Council was never mentioned.

Is passing the buck:

1/ Just another way of getting the job done? And OK?

2/ Shows lack of real leadership?

3/ Plain out and out telling lies?

4/ A big character flaw?

5/ Something else?

Eamonn

5/

One of the things I emphasize with my boys is: "The best leaders are also the best followers."

I don't see enforcing rules as passing the buck in any sense of the word. There are policies and rules everywhere one turns and if the "higher-ups" have set it down as such, they need to be followed. If not, I am not showing appropriate leadership. By not enforcing the policies and regulations, I am in fact being insubordinate.

I work with a safety department of a multi-billion dollar international company which has a ton of rules and regulations. If I as a lowly administrative assistant don't say something when I see safety rule infractions, I may in fact be party to someone's injury or death. I'm not passing the buck by watching out for my fellow employees when they screw up.

Just the other day I had a gentleman coming out of a lab area without his safety glasses on. I called him on it and he said he had just put them in his pocket before coming out of the lab. I said the rule is he puts them in his pocket AFTER coming out of the lab. He was ticked and got short with me. He asked me flat out, "Who do you think you are telling me what to do." I answered, the guy who's more worried about his eyes than he is. After a pause he said thank you and we parted without further words.

"Sure my bosses and the management do want all the rules to be followed. But when I pass the buck blaming them, nine times out of ten they haven't said a word." On the contrary, they set a policy, they don't have to get up every morning and reiterate what those rules are. If they haven't said a word, it is because the assume the written policies are being enforced.

It's not, in my estimation, passing any buck.

1) It is what is expected.

2) The best leaders are the best followers.

3) No lies involved, you are merely reiterating what these people should already know.

4) The only character flaw is an honesty stance and a backbone to support it.

5) Nothing else, you are doing it right.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you're doing what is right and somehow distorted it into feeling guilty about it.

Stosh

5/ SOMETHING ELSE

You are citing and enforcing the rules. The rule are pretty much known in a general way: You have to pay for what you sold, but could be cited more specifically too: "You signed up to sell, you madea verbal/ written agreemnet, and now we need you to honor the obligation you agreed to."

But in your specific question, I say : 5/ Something else becuase I can compare your actuions to a cop: Suppose I'm blocking a raod and just decide not to move my truck. You as a cop come up and tell me to move. I ask why I should. You say because it's the law and name off a General Statues number whatever.

You didn't passthe buck.You didn't place blame on anybody else. You just said ( in a nutshell) I'm enforcing the law and this is what that law says.

You maye say Council is getting on your back, and they will soonif you don't do something about the popcorn or money.

But at this point in the game, I think the parents might rather hear that the council is getting on your back than have officer friendly give them a visit!

Yah, the buck stops here.

I'm a big fan of personal responsibility, eh? I think we're all personally responsible for our own choices and actions. I think that's the right thing to be, and the right thing to teach.

So I'm not much of a buck passer.

The reality is it's my choice. If I'm choosin' to enforce something, then I'm making that choice. And I should have the courage to stick by my choice and not blame someone else for it. This is da rule, and I'm choosing to enforce the rule, and I'm doin' it because that's the most responsible thing to do. But that's my choice, and I am responsible for that decision, and you can blame me.

"I'm only following orders" is the excuse of the corrupt and the coward. And when it comes time to prosecute, it doesn't hold water. We are responsible for our choices.

I listened to an older scout a couple of months ago talkin' to a younger scout. The younger scout was complainin' about some decision of the Scoutmaster, and why the older boys would go along with it. The older lad didn't pass the buck. He stepped up and said "I go along with it because Mr. Scoutmaster does a lot for us, and has earned my respect. I support him even if I disagree. That's what allows us to do cool trips, we support each other."

Yah, that to my mind is real character, eh? Don't pass the buck. Take responsibility for your choices.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

I don't think its telling lies...

It is often a way of empathizing with the person or situation you have to correct...

It is also a way of saying, "I don't know why we have this rule / regulation, but I'm going to follow / enforce it because I get paid to follow my higher up's policy."

I've often had this discussion with a coworker or someone I manage... to me the internal question goes like this:

1) It is illegal or immoral? If no, then why do I not want to do it?

2) Is it really THAT big of a deal to do it the way the policy is written?

3) How hard would it be to get the policy changed / updated?

4) Is it an issue that is really worth going to the mat about?

5) Do I not like this rule / policy just because I perceive it to make more work for me?

6) Did my last paycheck bounce? If not, and the answer to #1 is "no" - then I really have no excuse not to do it the way I'm being asked to do it.

While in general, I think rules are rules - the enforcement (or calling somene out) should be for a "higher" purpose (i.e. safety, litigation mitigation, CYA, or increased profits). Enforcement should not be just because one likes to be self-righteous over someone else.

Two quotes come to mind on this issue and I seem to use them more and more frequently as my sons get older:

First one - "Intergrity is doing what you are supposed to do, even when no one is watching"

Second one - "Good LEADERSHIP is the difference between being the Boss and being just plain bossy"