Where is the SPL & ASPL? Need input ASAP!

Getting ready for the PLC this evening, and am expecting discussion on some changes to our Troop structure.

Background -

For quite a few years the SPL & ASPL were not in any Patrol, but went where they were needed. To accommodate cooking on campouts, a new Patrol (the X Patrol) was created for the SPL & ASPL and older Scouts who had been SPL or ASPL. As things evolved the membership criteria was changed to allow more and more Scouts into the Patrol. Now, Scouts can join that are 16 & 1st Class, or 15 & Star, or 14 & Life. The SPL evolved into a very casual PL of this Patrol. All this has happened over the past 6-7 years.

However, we are now starting a Venture Patrol, and have decided to make the X Patrol a real Patrol with a regular Patrol Leader who is not the SPL. The Venture Patrol will also have a regular PL.

The question we need to answer tonight is where will the SPL & ASPL live under the new Patrol set up... are they members of a Patrol? Or do they roam? What Patrol do they camp with and eat with? The current SPL is concerned that if he is a member of a Patrol, will he have to be obedient to the PL?

So my question is this - where do your SPL & ASPL live within the Troop?

Thanks!!

What I saw done when the Leadership Corps program was replace with Venture Crews, now called Venture Patrol, was that the ASPL was also the PL of the Venture Crew. Usually SPL was doing their thing with the troop. On those special activities just for the older scouts, SPL usally sat back and relaxed. If ASPL had to assume SPL duties, then someone fom the ranks filled in as PL. From what I've seen and experienced, the group usally ran by consensus. These were guys who who usually grew up in the troop and had no problems.

in our troop the SPL and ASPL stay with their patrol for meals... they are usually busy with SPL and ASPL duties that they do not volunteer as cooks and are not assigned to normal patrol duties (though they will step up and help their patrol or another patrol if they are running behind with their chores)

when a PL (their own or another) asks the SPL or ASPL to help with something in their patrol they do it as long as there isn't some other SPL/ASPL task they need to get done. All the PL understand that the SPL and ASPL has their own duties that they need to take care of.

it works well for our troop... and it also allows the SPL and ASPL to continue to be a part of their patrol so when their time at that position ends they are able to return to being a normal patrol member without missing a beat.

Long, long, 40 years long ago,

When I was SPL I was not a member of any patrol. My duties, the ASPL's duties, and the QM's duties were to the Troop as a whole.

Most of the time, we would coordinate to eat with a patrol, paying our money to that patrol.

We had our own tent, though... when we needed a tent. There were a lot of nights we slept under the stars.

In the troops that I have been associated with it is expected that the SPL and ASPL float around during meal prep to make sure everything is going okay and offer a helping hand if necessary.

Therefore, we have usually allowed the SPL and ASPL to eat with the adults so that this can be accomendated.

As far as sleeping usually the SPL and ASPL were friends and were able to share a tent. They would usually just pick a spot that they felt comfortable with and set up their tent.

God's Country, Southern California. ... at least it was from 1968, when I was a Tenderfoot, to 1978, when I graduated UC Santa Barbara

Trevorum and I both hail from what was the San Fernando Valley Council.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Thanks for the replies.

After discussing the matter, the PLC decided that the SPL and ASPL will not be in a Patrol and go where they are most needed during meetings and activities, choosing any of the Patrols to join for camping meals (paying their share and helping with cooking and clean up).

I strongly recommend that the SPL and ASPL NOT do any cooking and cleanup. the reason being is that problems can occur when they are supposed to be cooking or cleaning and their primary responsibility is supervising.

Now if it's an activity with just the older guys, ok I can see that. BUT when you have the entire troop on an outing, no.

just my $.02 worth

The SPL and ASPL are considered inactive (there is probably a better word but I could not come up with it) members of their patrols. Typically the SPL and ASPL tent with each other or members of the patrol they would be in if they were not SPL and ASPL. They can set their tent up with their patrol or completely separate, it is their decision.

They eat with whoever they want to but have to give heads up before the food is purchased. They even eat with the Scouters if they want to. They are not on any patrol duty roster because they have more important responsibilities. In patrol competitions at district and council events they compete with their patrols. If their patrol has an outing they go along as patrol members.It is made clear they can not pull rank on the PL when they are in their patrol member mode.

Treating them as inactive patrol members lets the SPL and ASPL do the fun stuff when their responsibilities are taken care of instead of having to sit on the side lines.