Hello from Central Illinois

Hi. I have been reading this forum every day for the last several months, so I decided to post something to show my presence. I was only a cub scout for a couple of years when growing up, so I missed a lot of this scout stuff. My son is a Webelos II now, and loves it. So do I. I am an assistant Webelos den leader. My latest obsession is learning about scouting, and I love reading everyone's posts.

Welcome to the forum. You have a fun and challenging year ahead. The transition in Boy Scouting is a place where we lose many boys. It takes parents who are willing to encourage their boys, but keep enough distance to let them stumble, fall and pick themselves back up.

Note - if you haven't yet, read the "A Nation of Wimps" article before going on your first campout with a troop. :)

EagleInKY - Great advice, thank you. And, yes, I have enjoyed reading the "A Nation of Wimps" article and the replies. Three years ago, having only camped once, we bought a used camper and have gone out nearly every weekend in the spring/summer/fall since then. We go thousands of miles every year. It not only helps the wife and I keep our sanity, but the kids love it. It gets us back to nature, the skinned knees, etc.

OldGreyEagle - Bartonville, near Peoria.

CrewMomma - We are really enjoying the Cub Scout time, and we are looking forward to Boy Scouts. We have both our girls in Girl Scouts also.