The just for fun "A Scouter is Thrifty" Poll.

Ok, explain the logic to me...

1) The new uniform is more oriented to action, on-the-go, outdoors type activities, rugged materials, etc. BDU style of the fatigue uniform.

2) "Class A" uniform is more for official activities and the "Class B" is more for the action, outdoor activities, rugged materials, etc.

What am I missing here? Which uniform is being sought out here? Are we going for the military dress type uniform or the military fatigue type uniform? Or is this some kind of "compromise" that no one recognizes?

I would hate to think this whole process is a result of trying to get the dress uniform out into the bush. No one's been effective in pulling that off since the days of the Iron Brigade.

Now before anyone ambushes me about my military references, etc. keep it in mind I didn't bring up the subject, it's been sprinkled throughout the uniform discussion all along as has the illusion of some kind of Class A/B distinctions.

My boys wear the BSA uniform for all activities. As a matter of fact, my boys have been getting the old green shirts from pre-1970 to use as a "Class-B" because they are cool. They like the red-piped, mule-eared pockets that button shut and hold stuff secure too. My TG showed up wearing a garrison cap. Hey, if I can get a boy into the full uniform, I'm a happy camper. Both my "Class A" and "Class B" are real uniforms and if the "Class B" gets wrecked, he can pick up another on E-Bay cheaper than buying a camp t-shirt.

Stosh

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What the heck do you do with 26 (I counted them yesterday) uniform shirts if you stop wearing them?"

Wow! Did you just buy a new shirt when you changed positions instead of just putting new patches on?

Heck, when I wore a jacket and tie to work I didn't have 26 dress shirts.

Wow!

I'd buy the older uniform. Sorry, but they are serviceable and look just fine to me. Add to that the fact that the new shirts are significantly shorter in the same size then the new ones and it makes it a no brainer for me. Also, I've dealt with the iron on materials used for the BSA and Flag applications in other settings and they are not going to last. So, old fashioned sewn on Flag and BSA, long enough to actually stay tucked in, and a bargain - what a great deal. I'm looking forward to the old uniforms going on sale.

Or just wait a bit, there will be a flood on the used market for the next three years of the older tan shirts.

Any body know if the tan buttons are being offered yet? And are they plain or do they have BSA specific details?

jblake47,

Yes, you appear to have it.

From where I sit the Field = Dress uniform = Class A is what our Council wants us in unless we are doing a nasty work project or hiking. The Activity = Fun = Class B uniform is what we would wear the rest of the time to include hard work, backpacking, even swimming.

I don't think they're going to see it as I can still categorically state that I have not yet seen a single patrol, much less troop, in the "complete" uniform.

Around here we seem to be doing good if all of the Scouts in any given troop have the same shirt on, even at dinner at the dining hall.