My mother asked me the other day "Since you are so involved in Scouting, why don''t you work for them full time". It got me wondering? What are the requirments, process, and pay of a DE. What type of education is required?? Please do not laugh at the DE''s that do the job now.

Brian

I believe you can find the requirments and pay on the scouting nation website (www.scouting.org) i know some of the requirments, you must be at least 21 AND have a Bacholars Degree from a credited university, it doesnt matter what degree you have as long as its a Bacholars degree. i dont know to much about it but from what i have read there are some good benifits and the pay is ok, i think over $35,500.

I once looked into it, because I figured..."the only thing better would be getting paid for this." The reality is the Pro side is vastly different. It is described as a sales job, with quotas and everything. Your job would be to increase donations, members, and units. If you don''t perform and meet your goals, you''re gone. In your spare time, you''re expected to do all the District committee work that you can''t find volunteers for. When you figure the hours (incl nights and weekends), the pay can be less than minimum wage, with no overtime.

Brianshore, most of the informaton is correct on this site. I had an executive who worked real high in Scouting , on the Regional level. His salery at that time was about $ 60,00 t0 $ 80.000. They worked him worse then a horse, 12-16 hours a day, and you never got any time off. You are responsible of recruiting new Council Executives. The most important thing is how well do you have skills in raising the finances. Scouting knowledge they would get in training courses. He told me, if he had a chance he would go into Airline busines or Corporate world, and not into BSA, Inc....jambo

From the National Web site -

The Professional in Scouting

The Boy Scouts of America provides a program for young people that builds desirable qualities of character, trains in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops their personal fitness. Scouting serves more than 4 million young men and women in every part of the country through more than 300 local council service centers. Nearly 4,000 professional Scouters lead, guide, and train more than a million volunteers. Scouting is a volunteer organization. The professional staff has the responsibility for working with volunteer committees and community leaders to recruit, train, guide, and inspire them to become involved in the program of Scouting.

RESPONSIBILITIES

The professional Scouter in an entry-level position is assigned to a district or service area within a local council. The job responsibilities are broad and varied. Duties include promoting, supervising, and working in the district or service area through volunteers. Different aspects of the professional Scouter''s job include:

-Sales. The professional Scouter is responsible, through volunteers, for extending Scouting to religious, civic, fraternal, educational, or other community-based organizations.

- Service. Major emphasis is placed on service. The professional staff ensures that all Scouting units are served through volunteer commissioners, regular roundtable meetings, training events, and activities.

- Finance. The professional Scouter has responsibility for securing adequate financial support for Scouting in the assigned area. Working with volunteers, professionals recruit leadership for the Friends of Scouting and finance campaign efforts to meet the financial needs of the council.

- Administration. The professional Scouter administers the Scouting program in the assigned district or service area.

- Public Relations. Professional Scouters must recognize the importance of good working relationships with other professionals and with volunteers. Scouting depends on community support and acceptance. Professional leaders must have good communication skills and be able to tell Scouting''s story to the public.

If you are an adult and a college graduate, you may qualify to become a BSA professional. For more information call or visit a local council service center of the Boy Scouts of America

Also from the National site -

Scouting: A Profession With a Purpose

Who Are We?

The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is one of the nation''s largest and most prominent values-based youth development organizations. The BSA provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness. Scouting serves more than 4 million young men and women in every part of the country through more than 300 local council offices. Scouting is a part of America and has been since 1910.

The BSA recognizes the need for strong role models, mentors, and leaders. Young people lacking direction and focus often feel isolated from their parents and community and disconnected from the guideposts designed to help them through the difficult years of adolescence.

As the nation''s foremost youth program, the Boy Scouts of America is committed to focusing on the challenges of our nation''s youth. Since 1910, the BSA has helped build the future leaders of this country by combining educational activities and lifelong values with fun. The Boy Scouts of America believes and through nearly a century of experience, knows that helping youth is a key to building a more conscientious, responsible, and productive society.

Think About It

A career has an enormous impact on your life. Often, your career determines where you live and how you feel about yourself. Making that career choice is a vitally important decision. The Boy Scouts of America offers one of the most fulfilling career opportunities for college graduates and professionals who are searching for a career that will have a significant impact on communities.

A Day in the Life

Scouting is looking for dedicated and committed executives who want to inspire, encourage, and guide the youth of America. You begin your executive employment in Scouting as a manager of a specific geographic area. As an executive Scouter, you follow in the footsteps of many of America''s great leaders who, through Scouting, laid the foundation to support traditional values. Executive Scouters develop the management and leadership skills that can lead to professional success and personal growth. They develop problem-solving skills that prepare them for many of life''s challenges. Careers in executive Scouting can have a major impact on the lives of America''s youth and local communities.

Our executives are frequently called upon to multitask and combine many of these skills to get the job done. If you have skills in some of these areas, Scouting may be the career for you:

Public relations

Marketing

Fund-raising

Finance and accounting

Sales

Business management

Human relations

Training and Development

The Boy Scouts of America realizes that in order for people to grow and be productive, people need opportunities to learn. The fact that more than 75 percent of the BSA''s executives receive training each year is a testimony to the commitment of local councils and the national organization. Training courses, with set periods of time to acquire specific information, are part of our overall plan of development.

Professional Scouters receive continuous instruction through formal as well as informal training. The BSA fosters an environment of continuous learning to nurture the collective creativity that will benefit both professionals and the organization. We share knowledge, ideas, and experience, creating both a workforce that is involved in decision making and an inclusive work environment that ensures the success of Scouting in the local area.

The BSA is committed to the training and development of individuals because we fully recognize the benefits of mutual growth and development.

Qualifications

Do you have the background needed for a career as a Scouting executive?

- Bachelor''s degree from an accredited college or university

- United States citizenship or declared intention to become a U.S. citizen

- Adultmust have attained age 21 unless prohibited by any applicable law

- People-oriented with the ability to work with adult volunteers, community and business leaders, and other organizations

- Ability to work varied hours to achieve positive objectives

- Belief in the BSA and its principles and standards

- Successful completion of SRI

The Benefits of Scouting

The Boy Scouts of America recognizes the importance of healthy, productive employees by offering a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salaries.

Employees of a local council can choose from medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans as well as accidental death and dismemberment insurance and long-term disability coverage. They can also participate in retirement plans, and the Scout Executives'' Alliance, a fellowship fund designed to assist member families at a difficult time.

Each local council also provides other benefits such as paid holidays and vacation time.

Learn More

To learn more about the Boy Scouts of America, visit the employment page on our Web site at www.scouting.org or write to the Executive Career Administration (SUM 416) at 1325 West Walnut Hill Lane, P.O. Box 152079, Irving, TX 75015-2079.

This site is a good overview which includes stories from professionals, "A Day in The Life", and an overview of compensation and benefits -

http://www.scouting.org/hr/careers.html

BTW - It states starting pay is $35,500+ and there are performance increases.

I know that a good professional works long, hard, days. Also, if you are good, the only way to move up is to move on. Professional Scouters in the lower ranks move around a lot. Although I applaud our councils professionals and the work they do, it seems like as soon as we get settled in with a really good one, one who is great to work with, they go and get themselves promoted and move to another council! Good for them! Not so good for us. So if you are settled in one area and do not want to move your family that could be a concern for you.

What a response from the BSA cadre in reference to my experience with a Regional Scouting Executive, on the Eastern coast of USA. No mention of the salary they get on the National level.? No mention is made how much money a year is made by the Boy Scouts, Inc., on national level. Scouting on top is strictly administrative, they don''t even know that there is " boy " involved ? It is perpetual self supporting, and self financed organization ,for the benefit of the professional , and not trench loving volunteers. You, should be ashamed to quote your BSA Manuel, on the qualification to be a professional. I have been there, and never again ! jambo

Reading the long term strategic plan.

There does seem to be some movement in recruiting people who have experience but don''t have a 4 year degree.

While I''m sure many enjoy working as a professional Scouter.

I know I place way too much value on being able to tell someone that they can "Go take a hike" Or "Go away and don''t annoy me!" to be able to do a good job.

Still in our area $35k to start is not bad.

Teachers in our area start out at under $27k.

Ea.

You do know there are other professional jobs with BSA don''t you? Some are only available in certain areas, but there are others besides the DE/CE route. Camp rangers require different experience. Scout shop manager, regional scout shop manager, etc work for National supply division and require different experience. These jobs also have different demands and pay ranges.

Whichever you consider, remember pay will vary greatly depending on location.

Be Prepared - to move as often as the BSA wants you somewhere else... lots of overtime I hear too, yes. A boatload of PR on the 24/7 clock, and many thankless tasks. On the flip side, I am quite sure, as does any career; it has its rewards as well. It's probably not for everyone. But the old salty seasoned Pro Scouters that I have known have been some of the most awesome and dedicated folks I have ever met.