Asa Scout:

Setting fire to a plastic plate on the stove, how?

A hot pan was placed on top of a placstic plate on a table, the hot pan melted the plastic plate, and the plate stuck to the pan.

The pan was then put back onto the stove with the plastic plate stuck to the bottom, no one noticed until black smoke started coming form the shelter area where the stove was, as it was left un-attended.

Pasta: whole bag goes into a large billy can, with water, unfortunatly we failed to realise how much pasta expands when its being cooked.

As a Venture Scout:

On most venture Scout camps we would have worked out a menu and got the food by ourselves, however at one camp, we were not far from some 'fast food' type places, so instead of having to cook food and then wash and clean the cooking stuff afterwards, we decided to make use of the fast food places nearby.

Fast food coupled with copious amounts of beer and other alcoholic beverages (that were not only bought at the camp bar, but bought on site by us and other venture Scout groups ) is not a good combination.

After that bad food expeirince i have avoided fast food as much as possible.

As a Leader:

thnaks to my prevoius expeiriencs, so far so good, although thats not to say there wont be any in the future.

I was cook for the Adult Patrol. Eight adults signed up for the campout and eight "forgot" to sign up but showed up. I bought food for 8-10 and 16 were in the camp. I was cutting bananas in half, tearing tortillas into little pieces and adding many cups of water into the chili.

However, far from a disaster we all ate well, did not overindulge, and I think I ended up with an onion and a can of sardines left over!

• 4 weeks later...

This is a story from my husband's Philmont trip with his troop in the late 70's.

One night the cooking of the main dinner dish was assigned to a scout who was nice guy, but not too bright. The directions for the "Turkey Good and Hearty" said to add water to the "yellow powder" for the gravy. The scout dumped together ALL the packages of yellow powder, obviously without reading the labels because some of the packages were for banana pudding! So they had sweet banana-flavored turkey stew that night.

I did the carbon casserole once as a Scout. Yes - carbon through and through. But it made excellent fire lighting material. We kept that carbon casserole for billy (pot) boiling races.

Our leaders regulate or cooking so much that we never have any problems with things going wrong. However, our troop has a very bad habit of over purchasing and we ALWAYS end up with extra stuff that we just end up giving out.

Recently had pancakes where red soda was used instead of milk, insides didn't want to cook and the outsides burnt, odd artifical flavor too. No ill effects but not plesant. I won't be eating pink pancakes again any time soon.