Has anyone seen the show on the Discovery Channel Man vs. Wild? Host is a British Special Forces Veteran who plants himself in the middle of nowhere and gives himself a certain time to get out. Besides some bad practices (ie....Hitchhiking) I think this show is extremely informative.

See the series. Competes with "Survivorman".

What bugs me about Man V Wild, is he fabricates some drama.

Take the episode where he's in Alaska and has found a row boat. He's paddling though an ice field with a shovel (after hours crossing a channel) when suddenly the boat is taking on water. Its an aluminum row boat folks. They just don't start leaking like that.

The info he covered about getting wet and recovering from it were worthwhile, but we didn't need the Hollywood drama of the sinking.

He also has a camera crew with him which give pretty good cinema but also a way out.

Compare that to Survivor Man who is filming himself the entire time. That guy has double duty, to survive and film it.

Caught an episode this afternoon where he parachuted into the mountains and walked out. My kids were watching it first and I heard it from the other room. It peaked my interest and I wandered in to watch.

They thought it was great (even eating the small snakes) until he caught the rabbit and started to skin it and cook it. My son (a Tiger) wanted to continue watching, his sister (a Junior Girl Scout) thought it was gross and switched the channel.

I finished watching the episode on another TV and thought he made a bad decision to cross the mountain lake instead of either building a simple raft or in my opinion taking the better route of walking around the lake and staying dry.

It was the first time I'd seen it and I haven't seen SurvivorMan, what network is that on? I thought it was decently done, although I wasn't sure I'd try going down the rock face the way he did, but in a survival situation, I might. All in all, I'd watch it again but with a very critical eye.

John

Go to discovery.com and read the posts on their forum about the show. The show is maybe 10% practical for survival situations. Most of the stuff the guy does is stuff you should never do, but he does it for entertainment. This guy isn't even the survival expert he claims to be. Watch the credits at the end. They have a survival expert on staff to cue this guy.

I watch Survivorman. I like the show. I don't agree with everything he does, but it's much closer to reality in dealing with survival situations, but it's still entertainment.

I've seen episodes of I Shouldn't Be Alive that are much more informative, but I don't like the way they jump from interview to re-enactment to how-to.

Hmmmm, hitchhiking? Not something I recommend. I did it once in my college days when I ran out of gas and was fortunate enough to be picked up by a gal in a bikini.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, Man vs Wild and Survivorman. I've been a fan of Survivorman for some time now and have seen each show repeated times. It beats Man vs Wild hands down. The Brit is a showboater with a crew to back him up. Les Stroud is all by himself and does his own filming. He sometimes comes across a little sensational too, but I respect his info and what he does a lot more.

Hitchhiking?

If I'm in a situation where I'm lost for several days and come across a road, what am I supposed to do?

Sorry man, I won't hitch a ride with you, I'm starvin' but I'll walk the 50 miles to town. Thanks again.

I'll take my chances with the serial killer. Heck, I've got my multi-tool anyway!