why is scouting shrinking? visit www.savescouting.org

Any discussion about the decline in BSA numbers must look to the overall demographics of potential members, as well as the changes in race/ethnicity over the past decade. I think few will argue that, historically, the BSAs membership roles have reflected a greater percentage of whites than that of the general population. While over the past decade, more emphasis has been placed on increasing participation in the black and hispanic communities, for the most part these efforts have not been as successful as many had hoped. Population statistics indicate that the echo boomers reached there zenith in the 2001 2002 period and have since been in decline as each year more and more reach the age of adulthood. This, coupled with the fertility rates of US whites (1.98), blacks (2.43) and hispanics (2.98), as well as increased immigration especially of those of hispanic descent, has created an environment in which the market of potential BSA members (i.e., white boys) is shrinking.

In the year 2000, there were 31,454,000 males in the US between the ages of 5 19. By the year 2010, this number is expected to increase in real numbers by less than of 1% to 31,622,000. In twenty years, census projections show continued small growth to 33,704,000. Based on fertility rates, the population of white boys will continue to decline over the next ten years with all growth coming from minority groups (overall Hispanic 34%, Blacks 12%). Census projections show an overall increase in Hispanic males between the ages of 5 19 of over 1.5 million to 6,517,800 from 2000 to 2010, as well as an increase of 500K black males between the ages of 5 19. Conversely, projections indicate that white males in the 5-19 age group will decline by nearly 2 million through 2010. This trend has been a reality for nearly a decade now and is expected to continue well into the 21st century.

Increasing membership in the BSA (core program) at the national level will clearly necessitate the organization making greater inroads within the minority communities, especially among Hispanics. Historically, the BSAs efforts in this area have been slow (handbook translations are still not fully complete) and suspect (BSA Soccer and Scouting Program). While it is doubtful many boys imbedded in the Hispanic culture will find a dead English soldier of great interest, or a round of Old MacDonald rousing, my experience (which is admittedly limited and entirely anecdotal) is that Hispanic families do relate strongly to the traditional values espoused by the scouting program. BSAs marketing to this segment will require significant efforts in terms of time and money (much more than past and current efforts). The question will certainly arise, as to whether it is worth it and how much program change is necessary to transform the program into a multi-cultural attraction. Scouting has made inroads into virtually every area of the globe, so there must be something to this endeavor that has universal appeal.

BSA could certainly continue on its present course, with limited efforts in reaching out to minority populations, and be successful for another 100 years or so. The sheer number of its core base of members, strong message and accumulated goodwill will see it through. However, at some point the society which it serves will demand that the organization change if it is to remain vibrant. I suspect we are at or near the infancy of that process and the next twenty years or so could be very interesting indeed.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a Tiger Cub leader last year by default after the original leader quit. I heard of 3 other past and current leaders in our pack report similar stories. Here are my observations and opinions. Yes Scouting is shrinking. Last year there must have been 60 potential scouts at the recruiting meeting and maybe 25 this year. Pathetic!

1. New or Potential Leaders- poor resources on the role of den leader and and scouting activities. They get scared off quick.

2. Parents- Can't I just drop my son off and come back in 2 hours?

3. Sports- Over-valued in today's society. Competition (Win! Win! Win! all that matters). Much better chance to get football scholarship (seems like an oxymoron. Shouldn't we call it "Paid to play sports at our college".) vs an academic or leadership scholarship. Do you know any Scouts or leaders paid mulitmillion dollar contracts for product endorsements? Youth sports has taken on a life of its own. I admit I have put my sons in youth sports programs but I don't believe it provides that much moral, value, character development. I observed at least 150-200 kids playing at soccer fields last Saturday here in our small town of Olympia WA.

4. More people are becoming spectators of life than actually living it. Yes I am guilty as charged. The worst contributors are spectator sports as above, mulitmedia entertainment boom (DVDs, 200+ cable or satellite channels, XBox Game Boys etc, INTERNET!!!(lol), 20 screen multiplex movie theaters.

5. Outdated traditions. Yes many traditions are what define what an organization is but I think BSA needs to make a serious effort to update to 21st century. ie The Cub Scout Handbook looks alot like it did 30 years ago from what I can tell. The layout is bizzare. I have to read it and completely reorganize the activities to meet the requirements so I can plan a den meeting that makes sense. I am dissappointed by many repeating tasks. We did Cub scout motto, food pyramid etc last year and have to repeat them again this year. My cub scouts are already complaining "This is boring. We did this last year!

6. Dork Factor- You can't deny this is a real issue. We are way to image concscious in this society to ignore it. I think some changes to acitivities, award/merit patches badges, and yes the uniform are necessary. How can we expect to attract new recruits if the image perceived of scouts is viewed with disrespect? How can our sons develop self-confidence, pride, and have the admiration of others?

I believe these are some of the reasons for poor recruiting and shrinking membership. I my son and the other scouts in my den enjoyed last year and are returning. I hope BSA is worried as I am about this trend. I can't help but see this as directly related to the trend of values in the USA. I want to help redirect this trend so my son has personal investment in his future, this nation, and world so there still will be a future.

Ken Thompson

Olympia, WA

The various observations and opinions related to the state of our nation are obviously pertinent to scouting; however, this country has seen similar demographic and popular culture shifts in previous decades and scouts has remained strong. While nationals can contribute heavily to updating and promoting scouting without changing the core values while honoring the history and culture of scouting, the core responsiblilty of scouting success rests primarily at the unit level. BSA is built on a traditional corporate model and operates as thus. As with any corporation, the ultimate owners are the consumers. Our children are the consumers. If the leadership at the unit level is weak, our "consumer" interset, capability, and willingness to progress will be weak. So while we can all discuss the decline of age-old establishments in this country, it is the current leadership of such establishments which maintain control of the success or failure of such entity.

So what are we all doing as leaders? Does anyone follow the business plan set forth by nationals? Do you understand that plan and how its implementation and consistent use is directly proportional to the success of the unit?

Then we come to the details of this plan. Yes, there is obviously a need to improve the simplicity of each divisions manuals. From pack to crew, these books could be re-written. Anyone want to take a stab? Has anyone drilled down to the appropriate individuals in charge of this and had a discussion with them?

How about those uniforms. The dork level is dependent on the region of the country. They seem to be considered far more "dorkier" in large metropolitain areas, followed by suburban, then lesser so in rural areas. It is also dependent upon how the uniform is presented. Do the adult leaders convey that they consider this uniform dorky? Then the youth will at some point mirror that attitude. Personally, I hate the pants - and in fact our crew has opted for a very technical short/pant combo. Do these youth know I do not like the uniform? Only the pants, and only after they voted to replace them. How have any of you handled the uniform situation on a pack or troop level?

Do all of you have an outdoor activity each month?

Do all of you use the patrol method and meeting agenda?

Do all of you train your youth leadership then allow them to run their troop?

If you are a pack leader, are your Webelos prepared for the higher responsibilities of scouting, and do their parents understand the differences and expectations between the two?

Do all of your units have enough adult support and support from your charter organizations?

Would love to gain greater perspective and insight on the factual details and leave the theoretical state of the country to nationals.

Anyone want to answer?

Ken-

Great post.

And to the others: I feel there are a ton of good ideas and questions on this thread. On my website I have a few of my ideas, but I agree there are a ton of questions and things to think about. I certainly do not claim to have all the answers, but feel I have a few.

I am learning as we go here.

Brian

I am learning as we go here.

Apparently not because your site is still filled with inaccurate information.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, there is no value in repeatedly voicing the same criticisms. Let's avoid the need to close this thread as well.

FScouter, moderator (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

OK Ed, there have been many subtle comments about this and a few not so subtle, but to be sure here goes:

Back off on the BrianBuf bashing. You may not agree with his premise, his web site or his ticket, we all understand that. What I dont understand is why you fee it necessary to fill up threads with your badgering. If you want to continue playing tit for tat with him, do it via private messaging.

Brian, you would do well to keep on your topics and not comment on the tone of the responses as well

OldGreyEagle..

Sounds like wise advice.

I propose a truce between Ed and I.

I won't post on his threads and ask if he stops posting on mine..

Too much badgering... and probably both ways.

Ed, do you agree?

Oldgreyeagle, thanks.

I was stunned when I learned that scouting is shrinking. In 2005, 1 year alone, venturing shrunk about 10.9%. This same year the total number of active Venture units shrunk by 5%. One out of 20 closed up. Ouch!

One of my woodbadge tickets was to promote growth in scouting via a webpage with my ideas and with some other promotions.

Please visit

www.savescouting.org

Now, this was the original posting on this thread (plus one edit).

Are some of the posts way off topic here?

Humm..

Does anyone know how the little option on the left under the poster's name works, the one called "ignore user"? I assume you don't have to read their comments but can see all other posters.

I am going to try this now. No secret Ed is not a friendly poster toward me. Click! Sorry Ed, sure going to miss reading what you posted.

Best wishes... and I will never ever know what you post from here on out. But lets work to make scouting better for every one.