why is scouting shrinking? visit www.savescouting.org

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know SWScouter. I dig this hole issue. It's great to pit Ed and Brian in this hole problem. They and everyone else seem to be mired in the thick of the hole thing. Semp, your sinking feeling probably started when the h and the r were dropped (humane reasoning) from the hole shrinking problem. What we need is to find the matter and fill it back its hole self again. If we stand back and take a look at the niche that this hole thing started out with, we will find that your (and our) depression that we are in is really started with a fissure of suggestions just to help undertake the hole shrinking problem. Now, we all can burrow and mire ourselves in this cavernous hole problem or we can puncture and fill the hole matter and gap with what we do best. Anything else would be a stop-gap! To a void, we should not sink to this level any more ... trying to answer whether it's a hole or half a hole. The hole thing should be left to the birds. We should worry about our unit and the hole that will be left behind when we do sink back into our daily grinds!

ps: Semp ... no thesaurus was used ... just my emptied noggin that is filled with irrelevant matters! ;)(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Wow Gentlemen:

This has been utterly fascinating. It is like a virtual tour of so many other live meetings from committees to councils where scouters come together to address the issue of shrinkage and never get around to address the issue of shrinkage. Maybe it's because I'm new to scouter.com and have no "history" or for whatever reason, but I attempted to get this thread back on track and asked some very open questions. Instead there is a tit for tat between two posters and a really impressive volly reminiscent of Shakespearian word play. After reading some of your posts, I was truly hoping this would be an engaging conversation where one could actually draw upon the experience, insight, and opinions of others. Is this all the substance ever enjoyed in a venue like this? Pitty.

So, we can move forward to the next void or hole and hopefully keep it in the good spirit of scouting. Thanks for all the website visits... I am sure I am up for some silver animal award! (I said that tounge in cheek)

(not relevant text edited OGE) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Aidan_MacAnBhaird ... sometimes you have to laugh to keep going. Semp and I and a couple others may make light of the situation, but we are here to contribute what little that we know about scouting. This is what we need to do more with the boys in our unit ... laugh and have fun. If each of us do our job right, the way it was meant to be, then there won't be this thread.

As I indicated on another thread, I'm doing this for three reasons (and I'm very sure that the majority of the people here as well) and they have nothing to do with numbers, nothing to do with names, nothing to do with ranks, nothing to with requirements! They are the ones who said, (1) "Dad, when I grow up I want to be a Den Leader just like you!" (Tiger, 1999), (2) "Dad, that was great! I love you!"(Tiger, 2001), and finally, (3) "Dad, it was fun tonight! Thanks, Dad!" (Tiger, 2006)!

That is utterly cool OneHour. Many of us are doing this because our kids wanted to do this, and the only way that would be accomplished is if we stepped up to the plate. But the fact is, each unit also has other youth with other interests participating. Are we concentrating on their needs as well? Do we take their interests into account to ensure a well-rounded program that keeps them challenged and engaged? Not to get off topic here, but I will be starting a new thread related about venturing that has a great deal to do with packs and troops. I am still highly interested in the issues brought to light in this thread, but I need some help and advise that is completely off this thread line, and I don't want to be so rude as to inappropriately broach that subject here. The thread can be found under venturing and is titled "What is your perspective of a crew and how it relates to the scouting program?" If any of you have the time, would you please take a moment to add your thoughts? Thank you so very much.