The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

Years ago back home in the UK, I don't remember us having a vision or a mission statement.

I seem to remember us having a purpose.

"The purpose of Scouting is the physical, spiritual and mental development of the young person so he can take a worth while place in society"

At least that seems to ring a bell.

I have to admit that " to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes " Does get the little gray cells working. As does the word "Instilling"

The Good Lord knows that I'm not by any means a saint or anywhere near that standard. Still I like to think that I do try my best to set a good example to the youth I serve.

I think keeping an open mind and allowing the youth to use me as a kind of sounding board is an important part of helping them make ethical and moral choices.

At Wood Badge we spend a lot of time talking about mission and vision.

The starting point is personal values.

This brings up the question "Where do our values come from?"

Do I or will I play a part in setting up the personal values in the Scouts I serve? Is this where the "Instilling" Comes into play?

Will the fact that someone is a Scout in time or over time improve their personal values?

A little later at Wood Badge we move on to setting goals.

I really want all the kids I serve to be happy and caring people, while they are still kids and when they grow up.

Is that a goal?

Most of the time I spend in Scouting is spent doing other things and there are times when what I'm doing seems to over-ride even the most basic things. I seem to take it for granted that the good turn is just going to happen, that I'm doing my best. The vision and mission seem to get put on a back burner, sometimes they don't even get to the stove.

Eamonn

Oh yes, the mission, vision, values thing. I remember back when the management buzz was all about mission, vision and values and like lemmings we followed demming.

The best part was the first lecture I heard on Mission, Vision and Values. It was focused on probably the first Mission Statement anyone ever heard was mentioned:

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

We know the values, quick what was the "prime directive"?

and the Vision? "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

The BSA has had a mission and vision statement since 1910. It's embodied in the Scout Oath and Law. Writing a mission statement was not really necessary but we all tend to get caught up in the newest management fads.

Will the fact that someone is a Scout in time or over time improve their personal values?

Good question. I think it makes a positiveimpact butthere is no guarantee that a boy will change inwardly for the better. He may outwardly profess the Scout Oath & Lawbut not really takethem seriously. However, ifhe hasa scout leader of high integrity who practices the Oath & Law, that will make a bigger impact on him than what is written on paper.

TheScout Law is based on timeless principles and young boys need to see adult leaders practicingit. If adult leaders are just in it so they can do some "camping", then they are not really delivering the full Scout program. Character development is one of the purposes of Scouting and character is developed when the Scout Law is consistently practiced.In my opinion, one of the reasons that the BSA desires scouts to be active in their religious dutiesis so they will obtain a greater appreciation and understanding of the Scout Law.

Is the Scout Law easy to follow? No. As we say in Cub Scouts, "Do Your Best!"

I went to our district's "Back to School" Nite training last nite, where our DE announced a new BSA mission statement, something about seeing that all youth had an opportunity to grow into contributing citizens (he read it so quickly I was unprepared to write it down).

He said he got the new mission statement while at PTC for training.

Does anyone have the language for the new mission statement? This will impact New Leader Essentials training, where an introductory segment (and group exercise) goes overthe mission, aims and methods.

Being more of a Dr Who man myself, I wasn't much of a Star Trek fan!

My first encounter with "This Mission Thing" was when I read it on the back of a salesman's business card.

He was a beer sales rep from Budweiser!

I sometimes wonder if we can learn something from big business?

Some years back the Japanese beer drinkers seemed to have taken a likening to Dry Beers. Soon the American brewery's were brewing this stuff. No one asked me, but I thought it wasn't very good!!

Anheuser-Busch jumped on this band wagon and launched Bud-Dry, with a $75 Million campaign.

It failed. (I think because the beer wasn't very good)

Rather than admit defeat Anheuser-Busch repackaged it and relaunched it with another $65 Million advertising campaign. It failed again.

Maybe it's a big seller in Japan?

I'm not sure if they still make it or not?

Still once you put aside the fact that the stuff wasn't very good or maybe was just a fad? (Molson Dry,is the number 1 selling beer in Quebec grocery stores.) I have to admire Anheuser-Busch for seeing that something wasn't working and trying to do something about it.

Very often in the BSA I think we all see that something isn't working and try to defend the BSA.

Of course maybe if we all move to Quebec maybe it would work just fine.

Still $140 million for a failed beer?

Anheuser-Busch mission:

Be the world's beer company

Enrich and entertain a global audience

Deliver superior returns to our shareholders

Two out of three?

Eamonn.

Back when Chicago Area Council thought Scouting was something that should be promoted (circa 1970) our then Scout Executive made a TV commercial. It was simple and consisted of just a head shot, BSA logo backdrop, and him saying the following. I cant guarantee that one of our scouts wont hold up a liquor store, drop out of school, or do drugs but Ill give you odds on it. The intro and final shots were scout outdoor shots.

Will the world be a different place because of what we as leaders do? YES, we affect the youth we serve simply by interaction. Will it be a better place? That I cant tell but I like to think so. Will some former scout say yes to the PTA, local AYSO, Scout troop or civic organization when they ask for help? Again the numbers say definitely yes. When someone took the time to be there for a child that child is more likely to do the same as an adult.

Eamonn poses some excellent questions. Where do our values come from? Do I or will I play a part in setting up the personal values in the Scouts I serve? Will the fact that someone is a Scout in time or over time improve their personal values? He goes on to say, I really want all the kids I serve to be happy and caring people, while they are still kids and when they grow up., then asks Is that a goal?

Where do our values come from? Heredity vs. environment. I believe we are what we have been taught to be. If you were taught to eat with a knife, spoon and fork you eat with a knife spoon and fork. If you were taught to eat with your finger you eat with your fingers. Unless of course you were taught to eat with chop sticks.

Do I or will I play a part in setting up the personal values in the Scouts I serve? I believe you do and will. They experience the effect your interaction has on them today and respond to it. It affects the choices they make consciously and subconsciously, which means that sometime in the future they will make decisions which are in part influenced by what they experience today.

Will the fact that someone is a Scout in time or over time improve their personal values? A resounding YES! Again this is just my opinion but I see Scouting as a very unique program. When delivered properly this program offers opportunities for growth no other program offers. It is youth run. Youth are encouraged to fail in the sense that they are encouraged to try things beyond their current abilities. They are allowed to deal with the failure without negative pressure. They are taught to function as a group and understand that asking for help is a sign of strength not weakness. They are given a chance to interact with adults on a level playing field. Adults will listen to their ideas and desires and help them achieve a goal not hand it to them. Scouting offers a Safe Haven where a child can grow without fear of repression or ridicule. Scouting discourages negative reinforcement.

I really want all the kids I serve to be happy and caring people, while they are still kids and when they grow up. Is that a goal? If you believe that happy caring people are better off than those who are not then yes.

LongHaul

This thread is perfect proof of the mission statement and vision... you're thinking about it aren't you? Trying ot figure out how it applies to the program? Performing a little self-evaluation. Would you be thinking about these things if it didn't exist?(This message has been edited by MarkS)

I was still teaching when we put together our first Mission statement. I then found another career. I suppose that was my mission, I just didn't have the vision to see it coming.

Later, the Agency I work for now went through a period with "Teams". The highlight was to develop a long rambling Mission statement. We used most of one large wall to get it all down. The Republicans went into office and we were given a new czar. He fired most of the Team and we went back to being individuals. I think our Mission now is to get work done instead of sitting around making stuff up. FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

Quick takes:::

If A-B mission is to sell beer, and BSA mission is to "instill values" etc., and when we have a "Join Souting Night" and many boys gather round the Pinewood derby track and the monkey bridge and tent set up, ...

HOWCUM it seems to be the parents we have to sell, not the boys?...