"I love this Scouting stuff"

I think I must have too much time on my hands!

Having spent a good deal of time working on ideas to present to the quarterdeck for next year.

It suddenly hit me that of all the things that I have ever done, the thing that I have stuck with and stayed true to the longest is Scouting!

Sure there have been times when I have been more active than others, but 40+ years is a long time.

I wish I could put my hand on my heart and say that my involvement was in answer to some higher calling or that I felt I was doing this because deep down I was serving some higher power.

But that's not true.

I think I do this because I'm having fun and really am enjoying myself.

Boy!! That sounds very selfish!!

I really do enjoy the people that I have met because of Scouting.

I really do enjoy spending time with the young people.

The little Tiger Cubs all the way up to the older guys and lately the girls.

I feel deeply honored that they are willing to give up their time to spent time with an old codger like me.

Thanks to my involvement with Scouting I've mixed with kids from the flats (projects) and Kings, Lords, and just about everyone from every class, color and creed.

I like to think that maybe thanks to Scouts and Scouting I'm maybe a nicer person? Maybe a better parent? Maybe a better boss? And maybe a better employee?

At times I have laughed so hard that I thought I'd split a rib and things have happened that have made me cry.

Thanks to Scouting I learned how to cook, eat burnt food, hike in the rain and not feel too down hearted. I also learned how to laugh at myself and keep my ego in check. I learned that kids can see right through you, they know if you really care or are just playing at it.

I have been amazed at how honest kids really are and how even the little toads grow up to be really nice adults.

I'm getting better at not sweating the little stuff and I'm working hard on taking plenty of no notice.

I've seen some of the best firework displays ever!! But I think I'd trade them for time spent talking with a group of Scouts around the embers of a camp fire.

One of these days, I'm not sure when? We will move far from the cold Pennsylvanian winters to a place where it's a little warmer and I'll quit.

I don't know what I'll do to fill the void?

But right now I love this Scouting stuff.

Eamonn.

Great post, as is to be expected from you. Whether you know it or not you do have a gift to motivate and inspire others with what you write.

Two thoughts to share with you:

1. I think a 'higher power', to whom I refer to as God, has guided and blessed your Scouting experience.

2. Although you may end up in a warmer climate, you will not quit. You, my friend, are addicted.

Only disease, dismemberment, or death will end your Scouting career.

A few years ago a lady in our community came up to me at a Troop Court of Honor and said "I think it is wonderful what you do for these boys". I told her, "Well, I'm not too Saintly, if it wasn't fun I wouldn't be doing it".

When it ceases to be fun, I'll cease doing it. So far, so good.

Eamonn,

I think I know how you feel. I had been out of Scouting since I was 17, and got back in the game when my son started 2nd grade, 3 years ago. It was like coming home.

I've bounced around with various hobbies and efforts - scuba diving, golf, hunting, competitive rifle shooting to name a few - but none have been as enjoyable and rewarding as Scouting. I even coached our State Junior High Power Rifle Team, taking them to the National Matches, but something was always missing. We taught them how to shoot, but not much else.

I jumped back into Scouting head first - attending as much training as I could, including Wood Badge. As you can imagine, it didn't take long to get noticed, and get asked to join District Committee, and the list has grown from there. Current responsibilities include Cubmaster, District Activities Chair, Council Long-Term Strategic Planning Committee, Scouters Academy Steering Committee-Cub Scout Chair, and District Nominating Committee. I attend nearly all Roundtables, and will be attending our Trainer Development Conference next month.

We marched in our 4th of July parade Tuesday, attend Cub Scout Family Camping next weekend, and my son and I are attending Webelos Encampment at the end of July. Outside of all that, my son, daughter and I take martial arts classes (Han Mu Do) 2 nights a week - the instructor is an Eagle Scout!

Do I feel a higher calling to be a Scouter? I do. I find myself in a position professionally that feels as if I have been guided here. I don't make a lot of money, not nearly as much as some of my fellow Georgia Tech alumni, but I'm also not required to work those long hours, or be away from home on travel assignments. I work from home, which is a huge benefit. I enjoy my job, and would love to make more money, but when I look at what I would have to give up to do so, it just isn't worth it. I honestly feel the Lord has put me in this position, allowing me to serve as a Scouter, so I can give back what my father and the other leaders gave to me as a Scout.

It is a shame some only see Scouting as something their son does on Tuesday nights. Scouting is truly a gift from God.

A very good post. You told how many of us feel and wish we could spend more time doing it. I was not a scout when in my younger days and became active when my two boys joined. I felt this would be a good way to spend time with the boys. The thing I found out i was injoying it as much as the boys. Thank God for scouting.

Beautiful post Eamonn. AS Baden said in his post, when it ceases to be fun or I don't get the help I need, I will leave. Until then, let's keep the fun adn excitement going!

And someone like you will not quit upon moving. One of your first calls will probably be to the local council offering your services. As I tell my veteran companions when they talk about quitting - "You didn't read the fine print - It's a lifetimne contract!"

Dale