Your Best Training - what did you learn??

The best training I had in FIELDCRAFT was the first 10 years of active duty in the Army, practicing outdoor skills as part of my living.

The best Scouting training I've had was Wood Badge, where I met some of the world's best resource people: My patrol buddies!

Yet again, what an old friend said came to mind: "It's not about the skills, it's about the people."

I still think the best training I received in Scouting is my TLT course (predecessor to JLT and NYLT). It taught me a great deal about the patrol system (much more than my troop did), how to teach and how to work with others. It was a great experience. When I served on staff, I learned even more.

As an adult, Woodbadge would have to certainly rank high on the list.

For our unit, I think the best training we've done is the Troop Committee Challenge. Very few things can help a troop run more smoothly than having an engaged troop committee that understands their role.

1-Woodbadge (Philmont, 1968), for the same reason as John-in-KC. The old WB wasn't as skill effective as the current one, but did a tremendous job of motivating us and creating real realiance on our patrol members.

2-Seabadge (SE Region 1997). A great education in Sea Scouting packed into a 21/2 day experience. As a Sea Scout ignoramus at that time, it was wonderful to have all these experienced guys giving us the benefit of their knowledge. And to a lesser extent, Seabadge Staff in 2002. Bonding with the other staff, some the same ones who taught me years before and learning my stuff as a watch advisor caused me to really review all the good stuff I knew and forgot.

All were, as we used to say, "mountaintop experiences."

My best training was the very first one I went to, about 4 years ago now. I learned the single most useful piece of information there "BSA does not stand for Baby Sitters of America". This came 2 months after I started as Wolf ADL and I wish it had come sooner.

Michelle

CM - P102

The training I from my Scoutmaster as a youth. Good ole Harry showed me a lot about camping, backpacking, and how to handle some of life situations.

The training I've gotten as an adult just reinforces what Harry taught me. (My partents did have some involvement :) )

Without a doubt...

WOOD BADGE was the best training I have had in Scouting.

The people made the difference. My Patrol was/is the best.

The training approach gives you material that you may already know in a completely different format that makes it realivant to Scouting.

The program offers a lot of reflection on you as a Scouter and how you can make a difference in your unit. It is all about making the Scouting program better. And all the while making the Scouter a better teacher, coach, mentor to those boys in our units.

Jerry

I used to be a BEAVER... and a Good 'ol Beaver too.

I would like to share a few things I have learned from several. I will make it brief.

Scout Leader Training- I learned that as an adult my role had changed from when I was a Scout. It was not an easy lesson and it didn't come quickly. It came with a kind of a sinking feeling attached.

Cub Scout Leader Training- As a participant- I found that some presenters can speak all day long and everyone will love it. As a presenter- I found that the amount of time that one is on the stage is limited. I have learned to prioritize what I tell 'em. People have other goals outside of the BSA that have a great deal of importance.

Life Guard Training- Memorize what is most important. Prepare for what is most important. Practice what is most important.

Train the Trainer- I learned many useful techniques for training.

Show and Do- Having a great overall program, Staff and highlights will attract a large group that maximizes the learning of the skills taught and brings an excitement that is long lasting.

Cub Scout Pow-Wow- I learned that I am best suited to being a Program Director and/or a program person. I have an imagination that fits much of the Cub Scout program.

Woodbadge changed my life and the way I approach tasks. As I have gotten older, I rely on it even more. I think back on my Patrol and the struggles we had to overcome. I am unsure if we ever really jelled as a group but I think we softened and accepted that our group was made up of individuals with differences that we would overlook so we could achieve our goals and we all did.

Philmont- In God's Country at the age of 15, I hiked the Southern trail. I kept a written record which was unnecessary because I replay some of what I learned each time I go camping. As an adult, I returned for Roundtable Training and Committee Training. Two presenters had collections that they showed us. I was inspired to assemble my own collection after them. Some of the presenters were truly the best. I have materials and booklets that I still use. One presenter spoke to us as a group. He went over the 8 Methods of Scouting. He said that he loved coming to Philmont but he wanted some of us to take over. So, he stepped down and left us his place.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)