what are the actual functions of the unit commisioner and the chartered organization?

What are the functions of the unit commisioner and the chartered organization? In my years in scouting(Im an Eagle Scout and have been the Scoutmaster of a Troop for 4 years.) I dont think I have had the oppurtunity to meet a unit comm. As far as the chartered org., I do have a gentlemen who has been designated chartered unit rep and we see him 1 a year to sign the charter.

The UC is more ghost than human and has feet the size of trash can lids. Don't be disturbed if one ever shows itself at your door because they mean no harm. Have the boys practice looking confident but back slowly away especially if they are between it and the coffee pot. Another tactic is to give them something to eat. Simply lay it on the floor and keep backing away. While it is diverted, make sure everyone exits safely. Nobody has ever been attacked by one of these creatures but it is better to be safe than sorry. The reason we know they are real is because they have left tracks in various locations thought to be places where they would perform their "duty".

I hope this helps,

FB,UC(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

I was going to try and sound real smart and give you all kinds of factual information to answer your question, then came the response from the Fuzzy Bear. Now I forgot what it was that I thought was so important.

Oh yes, the chartered organization owns the unit (your checking account, equipment, flags, trailer, etc. pretty important stuff) along with a number of other things like providing a meeting place and approving all your leaders.

The Unit Commissioner has a number of functions and when they are done well the UC can be thought of as Scouting's Ambassador or friend to the unit.

Then there is reality. I expect a number of other posts will fill in the blanks on anything I missed.

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick

The role of the charter organization (CO)is that they are the partners of the BSA. They contract to use the BSA program. That contract is made of shared responsibilities, things the council and the BSA are responsible for and the things the charter organization is responsible for. The CO OWNS the unit.

Among the Charter organizations responsibility is to select and approve leaders, select a charter organization representative (CR) who is the voting representative for the CO, Select a committee chair (CC) who is responsible for committee administration, provide adequate meeting space for the unit, follow the policies, program and procedures of the BSA.

THE Unit Commissioner (UC) is charged with seeing that every eligible youth has the opportunity to belong to a quality scouting program. They are a frontline resource for the CO and its leaders to help them know and use the resources of the comunity and program in order to deliver a quality program to the youth members. The UC Supports the unit program.

Of course this requires two important elements. 1) that there are enough commissioners to serve the district (1 for every three units) and 2)that the UC actually knows the program (a element that I have always believed existed until recent experience here).

All too often the few good commissioners a district has are focused on unit lifesaving, rather than unit program enhancement.

Hope this answers your question.

While Bob's information is correct since it comes right from the book, sadly it is far from reality. Many CO's have no idea what their duties are and many really dont't ever want to become involved with the unit, unless there is trouble. Your CR is your lifelink to your CO so make sure you use them. Your DE is supposed to each year sit down with every CR and IH and remind them of their responsibilities. There is even training for a CR if they really are concerned with doing their job. As far as selecting leaders, most of the CO's rubber stamp whoever the unit chooses since all adult leaders are put through a background check anyway. So you have the ideal and the reality and you deal with the situation where ever your unit falls. I can almost guarantee you that the initial effort to make your CO responsive will have to start with you, and use the help of your DE if you have any difficulty. As far as the UC is concerned I think Fuzzy hit that one right on the mark.

Reality is what you choose to make it. If the correct relationships are not in place in your unit, you need only to take action to change that. IF you keep doing what you have always done, THEN you will always get what you always had.

The choice is yours.

UC's are sorta like the link between your district & your unit. They are the people who the unit can go to with questions, concerns, etc. UC's are also to help their units with rechartering & recruitment. Now all this depends on each unit having a UC which doesn't always happen. In a perfect world, each unit would have a UC, each CO would really care about the unit(s) it charters & we would all live at Walgreen's!

But this isn't a perfect world.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Does anyone actually believe that the only way to have an active CO and a UC is for the rest of the world to be perfect.

Ed you ARE a unit commissioner, and part of your responsibility is to help those units with this very problem, are you saying that NOTHING you do will help because the rest of the world isn't perfect?

Ed you ARE a unit commissioner, and part of your responsibility is to help those units with this very problem, are you saying that NOTHING you do will help because the rest of the world isn't perfect?

Bob,

Yes I am a UC and the responsibility you listed is one of my responsibilities. That's where the facts of your post stop. You interpreted (incorrectly) what I posted to state that because the world isn't perfect I can't do my job. Nope. Not what I said. Not even close. Missed by a mile.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

My son's troop is fortunate in having a COR who is a former SM of the troop and is personally very involved. That being said, I don't really think there is anybody else in the CO who is particularly interested or involved with the troop.

I'd be curious to hear accounts of COs that really are interested, that get involved in selecting leaders, that get training, etc. What kinds of organizations are they? Who or what persuaded them to get more involved?

(I would think that COs who make the scouting program an element of their own program--like the LDS church--would be the most involved, while COs with transitory leadership--like a PTA--would be the least involved. Is that the case?)

I withdraw the question your Honors and return to the premise that the purpose of both roles are as described, and that regardless of the world you live in that is still the role that those two entities are supposed to fill. If that is not happening in a unit you serve then the unit leadership needs to make changes to make the resposnibilities a reality regardless of the condition of the rest of the world.

The defense rests.

Hunt,

If you want an active CO/COR invite them to attend activities your unit puts on, treat them as guests of honor and you will have them eating out of your hand. If one or two of the CO seem interested, invite them to join your committee or help out in other ways. Thats what we did with the pastor(IH)and COR of our CO and now we get all the assistance we need, it took a lot of initial effort on our part but it was worth it.(This message has been edited by Backpacker)