Good Day, I am a Mom who has volunteered to help write a discipline policy for our troop. Does anyone have some constructive thoughts on how to best meet this need. Our District Office has no "straw man" examples. We have a small paragraph written with our Charter organization and Ex Committee. Both agree we need a new policy.

We want something that holds everyone accountable. Our Troop historically has a less than desireable reputation when it comes to our boys behaviors. From my perspective we are loosing Scouts and prospective scouts due to a few bad eggs. I truly want to make my sons scouting experience a pleasant one and I need to be assured as a parent that the environment is productive and safe.

From a new parent in the world of Scouting, thank you for your constructive feedback.

Thank you!

Ive been looking into somethiong along the lines of a set of basic rules which each parent and scout will get, it will probably be based around the Scout law, which in the Uk is :

1. A Scout is to be trusted.

2. A Scout is loyal.

3. A Scout is friendly and considerate.

4. A Scout belongs to the worldwide family of Scouts.

5. A Scout has courage in all difficulties.

6. A Scout makes good use of time and is careful of possessions and property.

7. A Scout has self-respect and respect for others.

and it will also have bits taken from this webpage

http://www.14thek-scouts.org.uk/Behaviour%20Code.htm

unfortunaly there are a small amount of Scouts (roughly 3 or 4) in the group who have the ability to disrupt ( almost) the whole group, and then some others who only come because their parents make them/see it as a cheap childminding service.

One discusion with a scout who didnt want to be there, and was causing a few problems went along the lines of

"do you enjoy scouts?"

(scout)"not realy"

then after going thorough a few options and talking a bit more we got this bit of info

"I have to come, because my mums at work, and my dads in the pub all night"

Would a code of conduct be helpful? The Building Blocks of Scouting is on-line and includes this:

Scouting is a values-based program with its own code of conduct. The Scout Oath and Law help instill the values of good conduct, respect for others, and honesty. Scouts learn skills that will last a lifetime, including basic outdoor skills, first aid, citizenship skills, leadership skills, and how to get along with others. For almost a century, Scouting has instilled in young men the values and knowledge that they will need to become leaders in their communities and country.

If you go the National Council Web site, you can do a search on "building blocks" and easily locate this entire publication. I hope this helps. It is www.scouting.org

(This message has been edited by bbng)

Chapter 11 of the Scoutmaster Handbook has a lot of good discussion that will help to head off behavior problems. The boys, through the PLC, can help come up with a code of conduct. When someone crosses the line, the boys themselves can help bring that person back. They must all agree that certain behaviors are not appropriate. I don't think a policy written by the adult committee will help. The Scout Law pretty much says it all. Hold them to it.

Best thing we ever did was assign some one other than the SM to deal with all discipline issues. Any time there is a problem the boy was sent to the that SM who was away from the group to hash it out. Took all the fun right out of acting up. Hard to disrupt the group when all the SM has to say to you is "go see Mr. B."

Only other "rule" we have is that getting hit first is no defence for hitting some one. Too many scouts thought it was "self-defence" to hit some back after the fact.

the two items above broke the cycle a few years ago and now we don't even think about it any more. Can't remember the last time a boy took a shot at some one.

Our PLC came up with something that works for us (if they use it consistently, that is). We don't have any rules other than the Oath and Law; in my experience, any conceivable situation is covered in them. The added bonus is that the lads already have the rules memorized! What our PLC did is decide themselves what the consequences would be for behavioral breaches. We just put it into a letter form that we give all our families. If you PM me, I'll get you a copy if you're interested.

KS

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the others that the source for good conduct is found in the Scout Law. The problem with a written Discipline Policy is that you can't be nearly as imaginitive as a scout that enjoys acting up. They are most adroit at finding loopholes in whatever you and others can come up with. The 'bad eggs' need to be dealt with on an individual basis by the SM, who should be counseling them frequently on the meaning of the Scout Law and how it applies to their life and interactions with others. Severe violations of the scout law that cause harm (or potential) to others or property should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis by responsible adults.

Boy Scouting isn't so much about do's and don'ts, rules and regulations; but rather giving each boy the individual time and attention he needs from caring people (adults and scouts) to help him understand himself better as he matures.

I too agree that the Scout Oath and Law should set the guidelines for proper behavior. I think rather than a Discipline policy, you need a 'Consequences Policy', which spells out exactly what will happen should a serious violation of the Scout Oath and Law occur. For example, first comes a warning and a discussion with the SM, next time, the parents are called in for a conference with the scout and SM, and next is a 30 day suspension for repeated violations. Very serious violations and/or dangerous behavior can jump right up to a suspension ( with conference, of course ).

These consequences should be circulated among the scouts and the parents, so everyone is informed.

We had an unfortunate situation with a scout in the last few months which forced us to spell this all out. The parent kept trying to make excuses for the scout and would not work with the SM and staff.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in the scout law is says that a scout is trustworth, loyal, helpful, friendly, courties, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. i think that if you tell them specifically that this is how they should be acting and some of them might listen and not disrupt the class. But if that doesn't work then you might tell them that the reason they came to scouts is to learn.

I have a feeling that what the original poster is looking for isn't a new way to list the the Scout Oath and Law, but more what CA_Scouter described as a "Consequences Policy". It'd be nice if we could discuss a Scout's behavior by just ticking off what elements of Scouting he had violated, and that's all well and good, but unless you have some consequences that go along with that, there's no real responsibility, even if most of the time, the consequence is simply a meeting with the SM.

Of a 'Consequences Policy' you may may want to try www.classb.com (yes, the t-shirt place)

On this site it has for downloading a training course outline called:

"W.I.S.E."

"A method for building a Boy Run Troop".

In this it has a handout for

The 7 steps of discipline:

1. The scout will be warned by the Patrol Leader

2. The scout will be warned by the SPL and the Patrol Leader

3. The Scout will be required to write and sign a note

acceptably explaining his inappropriate behavior.

4. The Scout will meet with the PLC for counseling

5. The Scout, his parent(s), and the Scoutmaster will meet.

6. The Scout will not be allowed to participate in the next

3 Troop activities.

7. The Scout will be expelled from the Troop.

I hope this helps

CNYScouter

While I agree with the concept that the scout oath and law is the cornerstone of our discipline policy, you do need a way to spell out the consequences. Otherwise, you have no way of distinguishing between the scout that doesn't perform his water duty and the scout that pulls a knife on another scout. Both are violations of the scout law, but the consequences of them are far different.

While the W.I.S.E. information is useful, I take issue with it in this case. I do not believe discipline is within the realm of responsibility of the PLC. Steps 1 and 2 are okay, but that's as far as the scouts should be involved. From that point on it becomes an issue for the Scoutmaster.

Our "policy" (we don't use that word) is the famous three strikes approach. Any significant violation of the scout oath or law, and the scout suffers the appropriate consequences. The first event, the parent gets a phone call, typically after the event. On the second occasion, the parent gets a phone call during the event and is asked to come take their son home. On the third occasion, the scout is asked to leave the troop. Of course, there are potential violations that may be significant enough to remove a scout after one event.

Unfortunately, I had to ask a young man to leave our troop this past year. It was a hard thing to do. He had been sitting with two strikes and checked his swing about a dozen times. Finally, one night he did not.

You acutlally kick a boy out of the troop. I t must have been really bad!

The problem I see with 3 strikes you're out is some boys need a few more strikes. Of tne the ones who need the program most.

I am talking idealisitacally of course and do not share the experiences you have had.

How many other boys have you had to ask to leave.

Not trying to be argumentative - but that sounds really, drastically amazing to me.

ronvo