We have revitalized our committee this year.  I would like to provide a meaningful Scoutmaster report for them at committee meetings.  Soliciting any ideas.  I want to use this as an opportunity to inform, motivate and seek help where needed.  Here is what I have so far

• Key dates for next quarter for program (campouts, COH, etc)
  • Roster overview (registered vs. active, rank breakdown)
  • Summary of report from IA on ranks, badges, awards earned this year
  • Summary of campouts since last meeting
  • Overview of summer activities
  • Key news (we have an Eagle getting a special award for example)
  • Scoutmaster asks to committee for new business section later, mostly gear that needs replacing

Intention is to give a 'state of the union' to the committee who are active parents but not necessarily in the loop on all these things.  Would like it to be one pager I can print and hand out so I can spend under 5 minutes doing overview during meeting.

Some other KPI (Key Performance Indicators) you may want to consider

• Number of Scouts lost on outings last quarter and actively found
  • Number of Scouts lost on outings last quarter that you did not look for but who seemed to have turned up anyway
  • Scouts left at gas / food stops last quarter while driving to or from outings
  • Number of rain jackets forgotten at last outing with rain (can also be expressed as a percentage)
  • Number of class A shirts misplace that seem to have magically been found 
  • Number of items "stolen" on an outing last quarter that were "found" in the correct backpack
  • Amount of trash and debris (needs to be in pounds) left in vehicles used for transit to outings
  • Amount of clothing and other personal items (needs to be in pounds) left unclaimed after last quarters outings
  • Number of propane cylinders deemed empty yet seemed to work when actually connected properly to the stove
  • Number of times troop SPL has explained what the 3 pot cleaning method is (expressed as average times per outing)

• Haha 4
10 hours ago, curious_scouter said:

• Roster overview (registered vs. active, rank breakdown)
  • Summary of report from IA on ranks, badges, awards earned this year ...

I would go lean on the advancement statistics. You can give that at each CoH.

IMHO, the most important thing a committee needs to know regarding advancement is

• how much is being spent on patches and awards.
  • how many BoRs were completed and thanking MC's who devoted time to this.
  • how many BoRs might be needed in the coming month.
  • how many MBCs are fielded by the troop, and which MBs need a counselor in your district.

Try to listen intently to your PLC for ideas they float that may need committee assistance. These could be properties to camp on, special equipment, or a presentation or visit to a workplace or charity. MC's might have "in" on any of these. But if the wish list doesn't reach them, they might never know to offer. So, although gear budgets are very important, the more esoteric wishes are what will hold your committee's attention.

IMHO. Delegate. KISS (Keep It Simple Scoutmaster) , oh and go paperless or lesspaperworkess,  :)

The Troop Committee usually has a Secretary, Activities Chair, Equipment Chair,... and the troop has a Scribe and Quartermaster.

Back in the day (there he goes again),  much of the same was accomplished by simply updating a troop advancement chart and calendar which was hanging on meeting room wall.

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

I would lead with:

1) Is the PLC running the Troop well?

2) Are new scouts <2 years integrating well into the activities and patrols.

3) Are AOL scouts attending any meetings and outings and has that gone well?

I think the other items are fine, but some should also come from committee members themselves (advancement chair, etc.).  

• Upvote 1

How about a good look at the "Journey to Excellence" worksheet and head towards at least a Bronze rating?  All those KPI can be ok, but wouldn't an advancement rep best report from their seat?  SM is not a committee and should stick to SM stuff while committee can dig deep into expenses, advancement, recruiting.  Pretty much the team while the SM is quarterback.