If it doesn't have the BSA patch ?

1 hour ago, DannyG said:

I am guilty of wearing knock-off pants. They cost less, look better and fit better.

The price mark-up is a lot less.  Gotta fund those salaries!

That whole "A Scout is Thrifty" thing... nah, BSA doesn't mean it.

A Scout is thrifty.  $19 versus $49.  I would be hugely tempted. 

Looks slightly different, but just minor.  The biggest issue is it does not have the red stitched BSA on the shirt.  Is that bad?  IMHO, I bet I could find a mom with a sewing machine that can automatically add the emblem after the fact for cheap; or free within the unit.

6 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

A Scout is thrifty.  $19 versus $49.  I would be hugely tempted. 

Looks slightly different, but just minor.  The biggest issue is it does not have the red stitched BSA on the shirt.  Is that bad?  IMHO, I bet I could find a mom with a sewing machine that can automatically add the emblem after the fact for cheap; or free within the unit.

Love the idea, but... trademark violation.

Like many things, it is the intent.  Do we want youth to be uniformed, if possible?  If the answer is yes, then we surely either find a way to overpay BSA, or fill in with more cost efficient close proximities.  The uniform is NOT required to be a scout, nor is it a reason to NOT advance them.  It is their personal actions and efforts to live the concept of Scout Spirit.  And that has little to do with clothing.  If you look at many parts of World Scouting, the neckerchief is the only fairly universal item.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, OaklandAndy said:

Technically...but that won't stop anyone, including myself. 

A Scout is Obedient

..."He obeys the laws of his community and country.  If he thinks those rules and laws are unfair, he seeks to have them changed in an orderly way."

Is that who you are?

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

A Scout is Obedient

..."He obeys the laws of his community and country.  If he thinks those rules and laws are unfair, he seeks to have them changed in an orderly way."

Is that who you are?

In this case...yes absolutely. I'm talking about putting the logo on pack shirts, not something egregious. When the action you take falls on deaf ears, what other actions are there? National is a mess right now and if that means I have to break a rule in order give youth some pride in what they are wearing, I can fall asleep just fine with that decision. 

If the BSA wants to come after me, much like the GSUSA did with one of their own, with something so trivial because it didn't have "their approval" or they don't get the credit, then there'll probably be a similar ending. 

Edited by OaklandAndy

@InquisitiveScouter ...   Trademark is only if we are confusing consumers to our sales advantage.   We are not selling.  It's like buying a Volkswagen for your own use  and putting a Jaguar emblem on it.  It's my car and my choice.  Probably tacky to put a Jaguar emblem on VW bug, but not a trademark infringement.  Definitely not aN ethical issue.  ... BUT ... If we work as a middle man and then sell the shirts to others, then it is a trademark issue. 

Also, it does not have to be an exact match.  Different font?  Slightly different wording?  Does it even really need the BSA emblem there?  IMHO, if it's clean and neat, I'm happy.  

BSA has captive customers.  The pricing reflects that.  Prices are too high because overhead cost for the shops is high and the volume is too low. 

Edited by fred8033
  • Downvote 1

Just remove the BSA strip from old shirts and sew them on this one.  Legal and cheap.  The shirt itself is not "trademarkable" since it is simply a khaki shirt with epaulettes.

If you tried to replace the collar tag with something like the "Officially licensed by boy Scouts of America", obviously crossing into a different area on trademark.

Some Scout Associations around the globe use third party uniform items, and some use "official" items which could probably more easily be swapped out with something non-official.

Official uniform for Scouts UK: Scouts Uniform | Scouts Section | Official Shop

Some have official uniforms which are more activity focused, Like Scouts Australia. A number of those SAs don't wear as much bling as BSA does.

Official uniform for Scouts Australia: Uniforms - Scout 11 to 14yrs - The Scout Shop

BSA does have it's captive audience, and of course makes a good margin on items. They charge you $3.99 for an SPL position patch. Guarantee at the volume they have made, they didn't spend more than a $1.00 on it.