What do volunteers want and need in a Scouting Professional at the district and council levels keep this positive

19 minutes ago, OaklandAndy said:

On top of that, higher positions aren't available for DE's like there used to be. After the lawsuit, everyone had to cut positions and "do more with less". Instead of spending 3-4 years as a DE, there are waiting 5-7 years just for a spot to open up to get promoted. 

True, there is less opportunity for movement but also moving up, when it happens often means relocation and for many that means selling one house and purchasing another which is expensive. I served in multiple councils and had a total of 7 residences. (2 mobile homes and 4 homes and 1 rental) Honestly, if I had it all to do over I would probably not go into professional scouting. Easier hours and less stress in many other jobs. My engagement with volunteers gave me many positive experiences and I do feel that many thousands of youths gained positive experiences and personal growth due to my efforts to support their leaders, run/oversee many programs and build new units. That being said, I look back and I know that my family gave up a lot to support my work. A professional needs to always thank their volunteers in appropriate fashon and it would be nice if volunteers understood the sacrifices their pros make and did the same. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

- A focus on unit service.  And everything viewed through that lens... - Recruit, train, and support COMMISSIONERS to implement the unit service support.  This is the Unit Commissioners' purpose.

Here's the deal, and I am not trying to be a negative Nelly here. As a former pro, I know what the job entails, and appreciate the good DEs. What do I mean by good DEs, I mean, and in  no particular o

Those salaries are pathetic.  Less than $20 per hour, based on a 40 hr work week.  And how many DEs will be successful working ONLY 40 hrs a week?  And expected to work most nights and weekends?  No w

31 minutes ago, Ojoman said:

Perhaps if more volunteers understood the demands of the job coupled with low pay they might appreciate their DE more.

I did appreciate my DEs and got to know them on a personal level.  Ours spent almost the entire summer at Camp and was even seen cutting firewood so the Council could sell it.  He showed up at almost all of my training sessions to help out.  All of my classes were full, but I ended up training more from other Districts as I did my own.  Sadly, some fellow volunteers just viewed the DE as a "spy" or the "fun police" to interfere with our programs.  

Perhaps if more volunteers understood the demands of the job coupled with low pay they might appreciate their DE more.

I did appreciate my DEs and got to know them on a personal level.  Ours spent almost the entire summer at Camp and was even seen cutting firewood so the Council could sell it.  He showed up at almost all of my training sessions to help out.  All of my classes were full, but I ended up training more from other Districts as I did my own.  Sadly, some fellow volunteers just viewed the DE as a "spy" or the "fun police" to interfere with our programs.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ojoman said:

True, there is less opportunity for movement but also moving up, when it happens often means relocation and for many that means selling one house and purchasing another which is expensive. I served in multiple councils and had a total of 7 residences. (2 mobile homes and 4 homes and 1 rental) Honestly, if I had it all to do over I would probably not go into professional scouting. Easier hours and less stress in many other jobs. My engagement with volunteers gave me many positive experiences and I do feel that many thousands of youths gained positive experiences and personal growth due to my efforts to support their leaders, run/oversee many programs and build new units. That being said, I look back and I know that my family gave up a lot to support my work. A professional needs to always thank their volunteers in appropriate fashon and it would be nice if volunteers understood the sacrifices their pros make and did the same. 

So, I'd love to know, please... after being on the inside, what adjustments would you make to put the professional corps on the track you think it should be on? 

Here's the deal, and I am not trying to be a negative Nelly here. As a former pro, I know what the job entails, and appreciate the good DEs. What do I mean by good DEs, I mean, and in  no particular order.

1. They listen to volunteers. 

2. They are more focused on The Movement in general, than FOS. 

3. They appreciate the volunteers.

4. They are courteous towards the volunteers. 

I give every new Pro the benefit of the doubt when they come aboard. I have even talked to them about situations and challenges they will be facing when they work with volunteers. For the past 10+ years, it seems to go in one ear and out the other. Kind of hard to appreciate and respect the pros when they do not appreciate and respect the volunteers.

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

1. They listen to volunteers. 

2. They are more focused on The Movement in general, than FOS. 

3. They appreciate the volunteers.

4. They are courteous towards the volunteers. 

I like these. One thing I then do “back for the pros” is my list here. I’ve had pretty good DEs, so YMMV. For me, by doing these things, when I need their help/resources they have been there.

1. Listen to the DEs. 

2. Fully support FOS so the DEs don’t have to push a rope on something that is important to them, but we don’t want theM to focus on it. 
3. Really work your own issues at the unit level and only involve DEs when needed. Leverage the resources by not burdening them with items that don’t need to be handled by them. 
4. Support your council camps, camporees, and other council/district activities to be “part of the team”. This makes things easier for the DEs. 

5. Support their recruiting goals / recruiting activity as it helps their professional goals. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

. Fully support FOS so the DEs don’t have to push a rope on something that is important to them, but we don’t want theM to focus on it. 

I have found that money goals were the easiest to reach. When I came to Syracuse in the summer 25 years ago (yes I am old) my predecessor had raised less than $8k in the 'family campaign, with a bit of cleanup we got to about $9.5k but within a couple of years we were raising well over $30k. It was a combination of recruiting the right volunteer to head up the FOS campaign and improved service and visability. Just like respect, support needs to be earned. 

• Upvote 1

In my experience I think the #1 thing that a professional scouter can do to help the council/district/units is to constantly recruit new volunteers and encourage every unit to participate at the district level either through the COR or a COR delegate volunteering on a district committee. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

So, I'd love to know, please... after being on the inside, what adjustments would you make to put the professional corps on the track you think it should be on? 

What a new DE needs to become a good and effective DE

First, the right attitude. Should know what the program(s) is and have had some experience with it as a youth and perhaps as a volunteer.

Second, accept and try to live up to the Oath, Law, motto and slogan. No one manages to do this all of the time… well, maybe Jesus…

Third, be totally open and transparent with your volunteers, share your goals, vision and concerns with them and ask them to do the same with you.

Whatever goals and deadlines you have, be professional and keep them in balance. I held a meeting in December with my Cub Summer Camps key staff for planning and my immediate supervisor (south end of a horse going north) told me this wasn’t program time it was membership time of the year and I informed him that every month was membership, program and finance time. You can’t neglect any area of operations even for a month.

Be Prepared by proper planning with the correct people for the jobs at hand. Learn to read people and recruit the right person for the job at unit level and/or district level.

Be the Power behind the Throne, give the volunteers the limelight. Always properly thank and recognize your volunteers.

Communicate well! Communication is a two way street. Listen, evaluate, respond and do so regularly. Regardless of the size of your district plan on direct contact with your unit level people at least every other month. Remember, two way… in person is best but email and phone also work.

Visit your school superintendents and principals and cultivate a solid relationship with them. Help to insure that your units have good access to recruit.

Be enthusiastic! Enthusiasm is contagious! Don’t denigrate other professionals or volunteers.  Share concerns and successes: worry shared is halved and joy shared is doubled.

Do your best and encourage others to do the same… Example is the best teacher.

Be approachable and let your volunteers know that you have an open door policy. Always return messages/calls the same day if possible. Let your volunteers know that they are important to you, to the program and to the kids.

Always thank your volunteers spouses for sharing them with Scouting.

I’m certain I could write much more but this is a good start! I would hope that every new DE has a strong/solid mentor or field director to guide and develop him/her. 

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Tron said:

the #1 thing that a professional scouter can do to help the council/district/units is to constantly recruit new volunteers and encourage every unit to participate at the district level either through the COR or a COR delegate volunteering on a district committee. 

This is true. As a roundtable commissioner, I can do so much better of a job with a few other roundtable Commissioners. I love how our DE brainstorms with the district commissioner and chair for new resources. 

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Tron said:

In my experience I think the #1 thing that a professional scouter can do to help the council/district/units is to constantly recruit new volunteers and encourage every unit to participate at the district level either through the COR or a COR delegate volunteering on a district committee. 

So I guess the DE would need to be actually visible in the district, maybe make an effort to get to know the units, and not be an arrogant and condescending person in communications with units.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

So I guess the DE would need to be actually visible in the district, maybe make an effort to get to know the units, and not be an arrogant and condescending person in communications with units.

Hey now... positive, remember... and yes, a DE should be visable and approachable... and try to live up to the oath and law... of course that is a pretty tall order but we can try... 

23 hours ago, Ojoman said:

What a new DE needs to become a good and effective DE

First, the right attitude. Should know what the program(s) is and have had some experience with it as a youth and perhaps as a volunteer.

Second, accept and try to live up to the Oath, Law, motto and slogan. No one manages to do this all of the time… well, maybe Jesus…

Third, be totally open and transparent with your volunteers, share your goals, vision and concerns with them and ask them to do the same with you.

Whatever goals and deadlines you have, be professional and keep them in balance. I held a meeting in December with my Cub Summer Camps key staff for planning and my immediate supervisor (south end of a horse going north) told me this wasn’t program time it was membership time of the year and I informed him that every month was membership, program and finance time. You can’t neglect any area of operations even for a month.

Be Prepared by proper planning with the correct people for the jobs at hand. Learn to read people and recruit the right person for the job at unit level and/or district level.

Be the Power behind the Throne, give the volunteers the limelight. Always properly thank and recognize your volunteers.

Communicate well! Communication is a two way street. Listen, evaluate, respond and do so regularly. Regardless of the size of your district plan on direct contact with your unit level people at least every other month. Remember, two way… in person is best but email and phone also work.

Visit your school superintendents and principals and cultivate a solid relationship with them. Help to insure that your units have good access to recruit.

Be enthusiastic! Enthusiasm is contagious! Don’t denigrate other professionals or volunteers.  Share concerns and successes: worry shared is halved and joy shared is doubled.

Do your best and encourage others to do the same… Example is the best teacher.

Be approachable and let your volunteers know that you have an open door policy. Always return messages/calls the same day if possible. Let your volunteers know that they are important to you, to the program and to the kids.

Always thank your volunteers spouses for sharing them with Scouting.

I’m certain I could write much more but this is a good start! I would hope that every new DE has a strong/solid mentor or field director to guide and develop him/her. 

@Ojoman, thanks for the input.

However, that isn't what I was fishing for...

You gave great tips on how a DE can be successful.

Instead, I was looking for better ideas for Councils and National to improve the professional corps.  That is, councils and National are responsible for recruitment, training, retention, development, and promotion of their personnel.

They arguably have not been successful at meeting these responsibilities.  

What would you do differently to ensure our organization has and keeps the DE's (and therefore the successive leadership levels) to make the mission of BSA happen?

19 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

@Ojoman, thanks for the input.

However, that isn't what I was fishing for...

You gave great tips on how a DE can be successful.

Instead, I was looking for better ideas for Councils and National to improve the professional corps.  That is, councils and National are responsible for recruitment, training, retention, development, and promotion of their personnel.

They arguably have not been successful at meeting these responsibilities.  

What would you do differently to ensure our organization has and keeps the DE's (and therefore the successive leadership levels) to make the mission of BSA happen?

75 Years ago the American Humanics Foundation was started for the purpose of training and educating youth agency professionals. a half a dozen colleges were cultivated to offer degrees in Humanics and many of the professors were past professionals from the BSA. They changed in 2011... (https://nla1.org/donation/) but many of their graduates entered the BSA workforce and were solid professionals. We (I was one) were taught about cultivating community organizations and resources, recruiting and keeping volunteers, fund raising and program development. These are degrees that are much needed in the nonprofit world. The training at Schiff Scout Reservation in New Jersey was also a great help. I'm not so keen on the present professional development courses. Councils might also consider starting a careers Exploring or Venture Crew for older scouts and plant the seeds there for coming into the profession. Summer camp staff is another place to cultivate. Alpha Phi Omega fraternity is a national service fraternity that is associated with BSA and councils that serve areas where there are chapters should/could cultivate positive relationships and engage APO in running merit badge clinics and in doing service projects at camps... possibly even have them sponsor and help run local units or activities. 

Councils might also check out some of their more successful volunteers at both unit and district levels. Early on in my career I left for 8 years and I was a volunteer during that time and built a pack up from half a dozen families to over 50 and then split off a new pack of 30 as we were getting too big. I learned a lot as a volunteer that I put to good use when I reentered the profession. I guess this is more along the lines of what you were looking for. 

Edited by Ojoman
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Ojoman said:

75 Years ago the American Humanics Foundation was started for the purpose of training and educating youth agency professionals. a half a dozen colleges were cultivated to offer degrees in Humanics and many of the professors were past professionals from the BSA. They changed in 2011... (https://nla1.org/donation/) but many of their graduates entered the BSA workforce and were solid professionals. We (I was one) were taught about cultivating community organizations and resources, recruiting and keeping volunteers, fund raising and program development. These are degrees that are much needed in the nonprofit world. The training at Schiff Scout Reservation in New Jersey was also a great help. I'm not so keen on the present professional development courses. Councils might also consider starting a careers Exploring or Venture Crew for older scouts and plant the seeds there for coming into the profession. Summer camp staff is another place to cultivate. Alpha Phi Omega fraternity is a national service fraternity that is associated with BSA and councils that serve areas where there are chapters should/could cultivate positive relationships and engage APO in running merit badge clinics and in doing service projects at camps... possibly even have them sponsor and help run local units or activities.  I guess this is more along the lines of what you were looking for. 

Thanks, that's a great start.

Do you believe the current model of moving folks around and pulling talent from outside of a community, especially for SE, is a prudent one for BSA?

I am of the current opinion that it is not.  Please convince me otherwise.

1 minute ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Do you believe the current model of moving folks around and pulling talent from outside of a community, especially for SE, is a prudent one for BSA?

Back in the 1960's (boy I am old to recall this stuff) there was a membership scandal in Chicago. The purpose of bringing in 'new blood' was/is in part that a new broom sweeps clean so coverups don't continue and bad practices end. Not sure that really works because too often it seems like the good old boys take care of each other... less so now than in past years but still. At the lower levels a seasoned/experienced Sr. Dist Exec should be able to get up to speed quickly, even in a new district setting. I'll quote another pro, Every exec will tell you that they took over a district that was trash and when they left it was doing awesome!' To be honest (and a scout always is) I liked a challenge and was presented with my share. One district had 3/4 of the packs dead or dying and it took me a year to turn that around but I won the leaders respect and you could say they owed me. My Scoutreach program in another district was mostly on paper when I arrived but my new DE and I spent a year rebuilding that and it is one of the things I was most proud of. (sadly, today there hasn't been a scoutreach program there for over a decade). I have seen local people come in and do an awesome job in part because they have a head start on knowing the territory. I could elaborate but there is the 'short' version.