Jump to content

Roger Krone new BSA President and CEO succeeds Roger Mosby


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

But I wonder of the participants, sports or Philmont Trek, which 12 days are remembered more, 30 years on?

It can be extremely memorable, but so can a winning sports season. Kids are individuals and if they and their families have to make choices, they should be making them based on the full picture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO Scouting's challenges have been that the program and emphasis is pulled in many directions by many different constituencies.  Starting really in the 70's the trail has been varied: we are

Roger Krone is showing far more engagement in a few months than Mosby did in years.   No complaints so far!  That said, BSA is in a crisis.  Hopefully he takes aggressive action to course correct.

When you try to be all things to all people, you wind up being nothing to everybody, instead.

Posted Images

Feb 9, 2024

Congressman Sanford D. Bishop, Jr. (D-GA-02) and Glenn “GT” Thompson (R-PA-15), co-chairs of the bipartisan Congressional Scouting Caucus, this week introduced a resolution celebrating the founding of the Boy Scouts of America.

“For 114 years the Boy Scouts of America has provided the nation's premier program for character development and values-based leadership training for more than 130 million young men and women,” said Boy Scouts of America CEO and President Roger Krone. “As a Congressionally chartered organization with longstanding relationships on both sides of the aisle, we want to thank Representatives Thompson and Bishop for their continued bipartisan leadership of the Congressional Scouting Caucus, unwavering support for advancing the mission of Scouting, and introduction of this important resolution.”

“Having spent more than 50 years in Scouting, including as a proud Eagle Scout and scoutmaster, I’ve witnessed firsthand the pivotal role Boy Scouts of America has in shaping the next generation of leaders,” Rep. Thompson said. “The invaluable skills, principles, and lessons taught in Scouting last a lifetime. I am proud to commemorate the 114th anniversary of the organization with this bipartisan resolution.”

“I am proud to introduce this bipartisan resolution celebrating the Boy Scouts of America with my fellow Eagle Scout and colleague in Congress, “GT” Thompson,” Rep. Bishop said. “Scouting has been an integral part of my life, helping shape it and through scouting I have built relationships that have lasted a lifetime. It is a community that has engaged millions of youths across the world for over a century and instills the crucial principles of moral character, self-reliance, responsibility, leadership, human dignity, and service to others which are so important to our country's well-being.”
 

Sources:

https://thompson.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/thompson-bishop-introduce-boy-scouts-america-day-resolution-0

https://bishop.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congressmembers-bishop-and-thompson-introduce-bipartisan-boy-scouts-of-america-day-resolution

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2024 at 2:52 PM, yknot said:

It can be extremely memorable, but so can a winning sports season. Kids are individuals and if they and their families have to make choices, they should be making them based on the full picture. 

So, there was this District Executive (male) who was rather "rough around the edges" who came to put on a "Boy Talk" at our Pack's and Troop's feeder school ( with a female District Executive who was, is, and remains (after 30 years) the most impressive professional scouter I have ever met.

He always seemed a bit short on sincerity-a bit cocky-so I was not too impressed, but, for some reason, I attended the Boy Talk (now, "Everyone Talk?").

And he said:

"Scouting is the only youth outdoor program (meaning "sports") 'Where everyone can play all of the time.'"

And that struck me for its wisdom.

Sports, driven by coaches seeking records (forgive my generalizing, as I have personal experience, twice, where coaches played every team member and still won championships), but, in my experience, "winning teams" are the one of a dozen or two teams in a league, meaning that the bulk of the participants experience the sense of loss.

I sat many games on the bench, feeling pretty worthless, having endured all the "wind sprints," and training. Benched along with many others. (And, I SHOULD have been benched, as I was pretty lame, well really worthless.) But then again, no one spent a minute coaching me. (And some few years later, I set an endurance record that may still stand to this day, having been previously written off.)

The point is that a youth can participate in the Scouting program-their "competition" is essentially their own drive. And some "select out" from the advancement regime, enjoying campouts and camaraderie, others drive through to Eagle.

And so, the joy and memories of "winning teams" is well-earned, and well-deserved, the purpose of a youth-centered organization is to encourage and uplift the masses.

One star quarterback does not uplift America. (OK, Tom Brady, but even he is a mere exciting spark in what needs to be a glacial move to change society.)

20,000 youth finding encouragement does move the needle. Two million moves the needle even more.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

So, there was this District Executive (male) who was rather "rough around the edges" who came to put on a "Boy Talk" at our Pack's and Troop's feeder school ( with a female District Executive who was, is, and remains (after 30 years) the most impressive professional scouter I have ever met.

He always seemed a bit short on sincerity-a bit cocky-so I was not too impressed, but, for some reason, I attended the Boy Talk (now, "Everyone Talk?").

And he said:

"Scouting is the only youth outdoor program (meaning "sports") 'Where everyone can play all of the time.'"

And that struck me for its wisdom.

Sports, driven by coaches seeking records (forgive my generalizing, as I have personal experience, twice, where coaches played every team member and still won championships), but, in my experience, "winning teams" are the one of a dozen or two teams in a league, meaning that the bulk of the participants experience the sense of loss.

I sat many games on the bench, feeling pretty worthless, having endured all the "wind sprints," and training. Benched along with many others. (And, I SHOULD have been benched, as I was pretty lame, well really worthless.) But then again, no one spent a minute coaching me. (And some few years later, I set an endurance record that may still stand to this day, having been previously written off.)

The point is that a youth can participate in the Scouting program-their "competition" is essentially their own drive. And some "select out" from the advancement regime, enjoying campouts and camaraderie, others drive through to Eagle.

And so, the joy and memories of "winning teams" is well-earned, and well-deserved, the purpose of a youth-centered organization is to encourage and uplift the masses.

One star quarterback does not uplift America. (OK, Tom Brady, but even he is a mere exciting spark in what needs to be a glacial move to change society.)

20,000 youth finding encouragement does move the needle. Two million moves the needle even more.

 

 

Scouting can be great for many kids but for some it can also feel like they are being benched if they aren't into the increasing focus on advancement and Eagle.  About 60 million kids out of 74 million are involved in sports. 4-H has been growing steadily and there are 6.5 million US kids enrolled. Obviously, these activities are increasingly appealing and affordable to a broader range of kids. There are less than a million in scouts and that decline has not been caused by sports or 4-H or anything other than scouting's own difficulties in remaining relevant, relatable and accessible to kids.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

02/23/24 Harvard Business Review: Presidents Found Their Second Acts

In the section William Howard Taft Finally Gets His Dream Job  are these seemingly misplaced paragraphs perhaps for a second article CEOs Found Their Second Acts?

We all have dream jobs. Roger Krone, who became the CEO of The Boy Scouts of America, may offer a corporate analog for what it can mean to finally get there after decades of work and an unusual path. A former Eagle Scout, Krone had been chairman and CEO of Leidos, a $14 billion, 47,000 employee, Fortune 250 government technology company, from 2014 to 2023. He had a stellar track record of success as CEO, tripling the company’s revenues and market capitalization. As a result, he created the possibility to move into a new role with the goal of giving back to an institution that played a formative role in his life. After retiring from Leidos in May 2023, Krone became CEO of The Boy Scouts of America.

“As a life-long Scout, the opportunity to lead the Scouting movement represents the perfect capstone to a long and fruitful career and a chance to give back,” Krone later said. “The program was a big part of my life and the lives of my children. I want to make sure every child has an opportunity to have that same amazing experience.”

https://hbr.org/2024/02/how-former-u-s-presidents-found-their-second-acts

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

“The program was a big part of my life and the lives of my children. I want to make sure every child has an opportunity to have that same amazing experience.” - Roger Krone

IMHO, that would be a good lead for our 2024 Report to the Nation due April 1 to Congress. *

I hope Mr. Krone et al. takes our Charter obligation seriously and produces an accurate, thoughtful, and on-time report.

* There may be some terminology confusion - Report to the Nation which is for Congress and American people and National Annual Report for National Annual Meeting and hopefully us too? :unsure:

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger Krone is showing far more engagement in a few months than Mosby did in years.   No complaints so far!  That said, BSA is in a crisis.  Hopefully he takes aggressive action to course correct.

Edited by Eagle1993
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2024 at 9:38 AM, Jameson76 said:

IMHO Scouting's challenges have been that the program and emphasis is pulled in many directions by many different constituencies.  Starting really in the 70's the trail has been varied:

  • we are going to be urban
  • we are going to be less outdoors
  • we are going to be more outdoors
  • we are going to do sports
  • we are going to be involved in inner-city and have council run units
  • we are going to be a leadership class for youth
  • we are going to be STEM
  • we are going to be less advancement focused
  • we are going to be more advancement focused
  • we are going to be in schools (learning for life)
  • we are going to be career focused (explorers)
  • we are going to appeal to older teens (venturing)
  • we are going to be DEI
  • we are going to focus on the family
  • we are going to get kids involved even early (Pre-K scouting maybe??)
  • NOVA awards
  • ATVs at summer camp
  • Tech Centers at summer camp
  • Cub World summer camps
  • merit badge clinics/universities
  • Leadership as an addition to the Aims of Scouting
  • Soccer and Scouting
  •  Journey to Excellence
  • the Summit
  • uniforms designed for indoor and ceremonial wear only;
  • etc etc

Just looking at any of these, not bad items, but is this the core competency of the BSA?

In an effort to "Grow" the powers that be have tried to be All Things To All People, the swiss army knife of organizations.  In the 70's there was Boypower Manpower with the stated goal to have 1/3 of boys signed up for Scouting and altering the program to meet that goal.  That crashed and burned.

Scouts do best outdoors.  Market and build on that.  Youth need the chance to be youth, lightly supervised and working within groups.

 

Other youth organizations have met similar challenges of having to adapt to changing demographics and, at least in terms of membership, been able to maintain or succeed where scouting has flagged. In BSA scouting, it's been a decades long leadership problem. Good leadership can motivate and herd the cats into some kind of common path. I think a lot depends on who Roger Krone is and on what he does in the near future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Silicon Valley Monterey Bay Council "Community Leadership Breakfast on Thursday May 23rd, 2024 at the Santa Clara Marriott. Our keynote speaker is the current President and the CEO of the Boy Scouts of America, Roger Krone, and he has some NEWS to share. We would like YOU to be among the first ones to hear about the exciting changes coming to the iconic youth development program! Please use the QR code to RSVP or go to:   "

Anyone planning to attend? I think Mr. Krone similarly visited a Virginia council.

 

 

 

Edited by RememberSchiff
added second video
Link to post
Share on other sites

While visiting Councils, I hope Mr. Krone converses with volunteers beyond photo-ops. We have a lot to talk about. IMHO, seize this opportunity.

Then BSA CSE Bob Mazzuca did a similar traveling community fundraiser for councils, it was dinners though. He brushed off volunteer questions in favor of photo-ops. My scouts were more interested in photo-ops with another attendee - Miss New Hampshire* who btw would take our questions. Mr. Mazzuca soon departed for his next Council dinner.

My $0.02,

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...