Non-parent family members and YPT

Has anyone dealt with non parent family members who are accompanying youth?  My son is out of scouts now but my niece is starting and I will likely be her ride regularly as I'm still involved with my troop.  She and her mom have lived with me for the last 7 years (since she was 3).

We are trying to decide if I just need verbal, informal written or a formal "Temp Guardianship" document to allow me to be YPT compliant while having one on one contact with her.

5 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

You’re effectively her grandparent, and we’ve had lots of grandparents. We never ask for documentation.  You might consider cross registering with her unit.

I think I'm technically registered with the crew associated with her unit. I'm not terribly concerned about most people in the unit having an issue.  If anyone asks the leadership, the situation can be explained.  But I'm always a little concerned about that parent/scouter who is too afraid of confrontation to ask someone if it's appropriate and just decides to report "A one-on-on contact violation" to council or the 1800 number.

Get a Special Power of Attorney... many are free to download.  Or, just find an example for your state on the interweb thingy...

Get parent signature notarized.  Two copies.  One for you, one for unit.  Bob's your uncle...

Might save you a headache down the road.

Here's a free one... so they say... https://www.rocketlawyer.com/sem/power-of-attorney-for-child