Responding to two scout suicides,  Juniata Valley Council  (PA) partnered with the Jana Marie Foundation  to help scouts and scouters "be prepared" when it comes to recognizing mental health concerns.

Marisa Vicere and Joe Johnson from Jana Marie Foundation, with the support of Josh Kirby from AutumnSpring Counseling and Jeff Pickett from Juniata Valley Council, developed a new Activity Award for Mental Health entitled Prepared to Care.  (Note this award is just local to Juniata Valley Council at present.)

During Week 1 at Seven Mountains Scout Camp., the first group of Scouts officially completed the requirements to earn their Prepared to Care patch. The Scouts learned about mental health warning signs, how to engage in conversations with peers, and resources that are available to assist with a mental health challenge or crisis.

Week 2, camp ran a  second session of the Prepared to Care mental health awareness program. Approximately 60 people learned how to recognize and react to signs of crisis. Thanks to Marisa Visere and Joe Johnson from the Jana Marie Foundation and also to Josh Kirby from AutumnSpring Counseling for helping develop and deliver this great program.

The Prepared to Care Award can be awarded to Scout members in grades five through 12.

“Now more than ever, mental, emotional, and social health stressors are being dealt with by youth,” says Jeff Pickett, Scout Executive and CEO of the Juniata Valley Council. “They are dealing with things on a whole different level than what prior generations did. Social media has taken bullying into the online world; youth may be constantly comparing themselves to the perceived ‘perfect lives’ that others portray in their cyber lives.”

“It made sense for us to find a way to help Scouts be prepared to recognize mental health warning signs and the available resources at local and national levels,” says Marisa Vicere, Jana Marie Foundation president and founder.

“The award was carefully crafted to ensure Scouts would have a basic understanding of mental health, how to notice changes in thoughts, feelings, actions, and appearances, and learn a five-step process to start a conversation, and then how to get trusted adults involved.”

Vicere said she hopes other Boy Scout Councils and Girl Scouts programs become involved in the program.

“Mental health is health,” she said. “We spend a lot of time focusing on ways we can help someone who is experiencing a physical health need, and programs like Prepared to Care remind us that our overall health-mental, physical, emotional — is important.”

PreparedToCarePhoto.png.2014895e8c5294619d1a82c9fd8667ab.png

More at Sources:

https://wjactv.com/news/local/local-boy-scout-troops-partner-with-nonprofit-for-mental-health-awareness

https://www.facebook.com/jvcbsa/

Scout Salute (hope they produce an online video),

P.S.

If someone could post the aforementioned Council press release, much appreciated.

Edited by RememberSchiff
Fix Card and Badge image
  • Upvote 4
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am on the other side of this than most here.  I have lived with depression since 1994 and sometimes debilitating anxiety off and on for most of my 49 years.  Woodbadge, that I wigged out on gives me

I was going to send this as a PM, but thought it better to proclaim it publicly.   I make no excuses for anyone who has made you feel they don't care.  But please know that there are plenty of people

Responding to two scout suicides,  Juniata Valley Council  (PA) partnered with the Jana Marie Foundation  to help scouts and scouters "be prepared" when it comes to recognizing mental health concerns.

Posted Images

Our council has run a program the last few years conducting QPR training in partnership with the Lucas County Suicide Prevention Coalition. QPR is an acronym for Question, Persuade and Refer. These are the 3 simple steps that are taught in suicide prevention training.  The training has so far been just for adults.

I haven't heard of anything locally for youth, but I love the idea.

I've encountered this challenge as both a scout leader and a parent. I have been on more than one campout where a scout expressed suicidal thoughts and ideation, and it is frightening and challenging. I believe the more awareness there is of it as a danger, and the more training and openness we have about it, the better off we all will be.

I'm gong to pass this along our SE, who is really good on this issue, just in case he hasn't seen it.

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Upvote 1

I am on the other side of this than most here.  I have lived with depression since 1994 and sometimes debilitating anxiety off and on for most of my 49 years.  Woodbadge, that I wigged out on gives me major grief still after 2 years or so since I left after the first day.  There are days, alot of them, I want to quit my Scouting position stay home and not be seen in town or on social media again.  Ever.  Sometimes I have the will to fight and try to make the Unit better in spite of the idgits I have to deal with.  I have discovered that for the most part no one cares if I struggle with depression and all that comes with it.  People just dont care.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

@5thGenTexan...thanks for your comments.  I know it took a lot to admit your struggles, as I have been there, too.  I was the bullied "fat nerd" as a kid, and Scouting has been my rock throughout life.  My circle of friends is still extremely small as I approach my 70s, but my real friends are all Brother Scouts.  Some I have known since I started the Scouting journey in the mid 60s.  I thank God for them and, with my wife of 48 years, are the main reason I am still here.  I know if I need anything...even just someone to listen to a rant, all I have to do is call and they will be there...even if only on FB across the miles.  Peace and blessings.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, scoutldr said:

@5thGenTexan...thanks for your comments.  I know it took a lot to admit your struggles, as I have been there, too.  I was the bullied "fat nerd" as a kid, and Scouting has been my rock throughout life.  My circle of friends is still extremely small as I approach my 70s, but my real friends are all Brother Scouts.  Some I have known since I started the Scouting journey in the mid 60s.  I thank God for them and, with my wife of 48 years, are the main reason I am still here.  I know if I need anything...even just someone to listen to a rant, all I have to do is call and they will be there...even if only on FB across the miles.  Peace and blessings.

I was bullied in Scouts as well.  At least 2 boys in the Troop who were also in Sunday School at the FUMC were particularly ugly to me at Scouts and church.  I miised ONE Troop meeting once and I was told the next day I shouldnt come back since I missed that meeting.  Thus my end of Scouts as a youth.

• Sad 3

This world is filled with the ignorant, the distracted, the uncaring, the self-satisfied, mightier-than-thou types, the bullies, the abusive, and the downright cruel.

It is difficult, once traumatized by one or more of them, to recognize that that they are in the minority, and further to recognize that once one has suffered the brunt of their assaults, that the vast majority of folks do not have those emotional failings and are your friends and do treat you kindly.

A police detective friend of mine once said that his dad advised him about my friend's work, "Son, don't go where there are bombs.."

Well, the lesson there is "bombs" aren't always physical.  There are emotional bombs.  And emotional bombs are much worse than physical bombs.  Physical bombs only explode once.  But emotional bombs, well, the victim can resurrect the effect of the emotional insult, time and again, and thereby the damage is repeatedly inflicted.

So, "don't go where there are bombs."  That is, don't give a second thought to prior insults.  Those insults are dead, and from " the ignorant, the distracted, the uncaring, the self-satisfied, mightier-than-thou types, the bullies, the abusive, and the downright cruel" and why would you let those folks control your life?

It is easy to move on-just shut that door.

• Upvote 1
On 7/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

I am on the other side of this than most here.

Actually, you probably are closer to or in the majority.

As a small town lawyer, well, I also have a degree in Psychology.  The field of counseling has advanced far beyond my studies 50 years ago.

Many clients, and more broadly, members in their families, have psychological issues, which dramatically affect the course of legal proceedings.

"Just a mere lawyer here," but psychological issues are about 80% of what I do.  No kidding.

Counselors now have a much more refined understanding of issues, and I would strongly recommend you meet with a counselor, and if that meeting is not helpful, try another. Philosophical approaches vary.

Every life is a flower. That flower exists only once.  It has unique value. That flower projects itself to the world and passersby partake of its bounty.  And the flower may not know the benefit it has bestowed.  But the flower's not knowing its effect does not diminish the flower's beneficial effect.

You have many friends. Certainly here on this forum, including me.

And if not the answer, it is a darn good start.

SiouxRanger

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like this is something I will need to deal with without the training.  So any advice is of course welcome

I learned that one of our Scouts  was bullied at Summer Camp earlier this month.  Two of our Scouts felt the need to call the third Scout "Gay" as well as throw rocks at him.  Kinda the gist of the incident.  I have permission from the parent to discuss with the Scout at the next meeting what all happened.  Maybe what is more worrisome is one of the adults there posted in our Slack that "had a few issues, but they took care of them".  I definitely don't want a habit of "What happened in camp, stays in camp:"

Well, one can start with the feelings in one's gut.

I do not understand LGBTQ+. Nor am I any of those.  (And maybe I've missed a group, or two.)

But I do know that everyone wants to be recognized by their name, and to feel included and accepted by those they have selected to associate themselves with.

Like joining Scouts.

"You are welcome here."

Scouting was once described to me by a Professional as the place everyone can participate all of the time.

Skill and ability were not required.

INTEREST in participating was the only requirement.

I am convinced that one's orientation is genetic and/or chemical.  And that none of us ever had a choice. We just picked up the cards (after delivery), and all was then set in stone.  How one acts according to the cards so dealt out to them, that is another matter.  And how society reacts is another level of the situation.

And the LGBTQ+ individuals.

They are individual human beings, with family, friends...

and they are among the least protected and least able to protect themselves.

Pretty sure LGBTQ+ folks did not consciously decide to make themselves social pariahs.

But that is where they find themselves.

They are oriented as they are.

And so those of "accepted" orientation pounce upon the weak.

And claim "Victory" over the hapless.

So, as a faith-based organization, what happened to the Biblical sentiment, "That which you do the least of mine you do to me."

Everyone I've ever met, they are just "trying to get through their day." And most of their days are chaos.

• Like 2

Yep. Been there, done some....

As a nerdy Scout, thick eyeglasses, skinny unathiletic frame, I was once "chosen" by another older Scout as someone to be his "stepping stone" to make himself be bigger.  Looking back, I realize alot of this now, in an adult "official" (degree in psych, among other things) capacity.  My dad prepared me earlier when it occurred in much earlier times.  I guess, , maybe , it had happened to him, but he never said that much to me.  So when "Jake"  started pushing and shoving and saying some really stupid things, I could realize first off,  since I had met his dad (who was also a  bully type, brawny, cussing a blue streak, smelled of beer most times), I could realize how he came to be the kid he was. Sad but true.  I told "jake" I felt sorry for him, and pushed (both verbally and physically)  back.  Eventually, I had to push back so hard "Jake" stopped with me because he wasn't getting the result he sought.  I don't really know who was next on his list, but he stopped being a Scout soon after his time with me.  

Humanity's inhumanity to other humans can be hard to realize, but it is there.  Has been there since recorded history.   The Scouting movement is one means to get the lucky kids to realize how to avoid the mistakes of our collective past.  

The program mentioned in Juniata Council is a wonderful opportunity.  It is the type of program that MIGHT have helped avoid the tribulation that occurred fifty years ago to bring the BSA to it's present state.  Facing up to, accepting the truth of, and dealing with the damage, the hurt WHEN IT HAPPENS, when it is first  recognized , not passed over and not just passed on to somebody else to deal with.  Deal with it when it is brought up.  Psychologically, emotionally, humanly,  LEGALLY if necessary. 

Thank you Schiff for bringing this to us. 

See you on the trail. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Info: is the scout actually gay? How to address this depends in part on whether it was meant as a general insult or if it was intended to undermine the scout's self-confidence more personally. 

I do not know and as far as I am concerned it doesnt matter.  Scouts calling another Scout that in the way it was described to me is wrong.

I was not at summer camp when it happened, I just found out from the parent the other day.  So,  I am going to meet with the Scout at the Troop Meeting along with another adult who wasnt there and we are going to find out the details.

• Upvote 1
On 7/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Looks like this is something I will need to deal with without the training.  So any advice is of course welcome

I learned that one of our Scouts  was bullied at Summer Camp earlier this month.  Two of our Scouts felt the need to call the third Scout "Gay" as well as throw rocks at him.  Kinda the gist of the incident.  I have permission from the parent to discuss with the Scout at the next meeting what all happened.  Maybe what is more worrisome is one of the adults there posted in our Slack that "had a few issues, but they took care of them".  I definitely don't want a habit of "What happened in camp, stays in camp:"

You don't want "what happened in camp, stays in camp", on the other hand the leaders in camp should have handled it then and there in camp, and if they did then there's not necessarily a reason for it to have been brought home from camp or for anyone else to have been made aware of it.  When I was at camp I was in charge and took my responsibility seriously.  I handled any behavior or disciplinary issues right then and there in consultation with the other leaders in camp.  

Did the parent tell you because they were unhappy about how the leaders there handled it?  Were/are they looking for some further action, or maybe just some further explanation?  Before you move forward, what is it that you want to accomplish? 

Before I spoke to the scout I would go back and clarify what, if anything, the parent is looking for, and then, if you feel it's necessary because of your role in the troop to be involved, I would talk to whoever was in charge of the troop at camp: what their take on it all was, and share with them what the parent's concern is now.  There's no reason to speak to the scout unless there is some gap in the information that you don't have after talking to the adults involved.  

Once you know all the adult perspectives, then you work with the adults to decide how best to serve the scouts.

15 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

You don't want "what happened in camp, stays in camp", on the other hand the leaders in camp should have handled it then and there in camp, and if they did then there's not necessarily a reason for it to have been brought home from camp or for anyone else to have been made aware of it.  When I was at camp I was in charge and took my responsibility seriously.  I handled any behavior or disciplinary issues right then and there in consultation with the other leaders in camp.  

Did the parent tell you because they were unhappy about how the leaders there handled it?  Were/are they looking for some further action, or maybe just some further explanation?  Before you move forward, what is it that you want to accomplish? 

Before I spoke to the scout I would go back and clarify what, if anything, the parent is looking for, and then, if you feel it's necessary because of your role in the troop to be involved, I would talk to whoever was in charge of the troop at camp: what their take on it all was, and share with them what the parent's concern is now.  There's no reason to speak to the scout unless there is some gap in the information that you don't have after talking to the adults involved.  

Once you know all the adult perspectives, then you work with the adults to decide how best to serve the scouts.

I know the "Adults" that were there have a history of having no interest in the rules.  Scouts climbing 20 ft trees, Scouts catching paper towel rolls on fire and tossing them in people's yards, Scouts being unsupervised, and the list goes on.  That is a topic that will be address soon.  I have been told in the past by the SM if I want a lot of discipline in the Troop I should find a ROTC program to join

To answer your question I do not trust that the adults in camp address the issue per BSA guidelines because they are not trained.  If this was indeed a case of bullying, I want to to be properly documented.  I am the CC and I won't tolerate bullying or it being swept under the rug.

• Upvote 2