Cubmaster Turnover

Volunteered to be Cubmaster for next year, turning over in a few weeks with the current leader.

I've been den leader, assistant den leader, awards chair, many things within a pack, but first time being Cubmaster.

I know I'll learn a lot of things along the way, but what things do I absolutely need to know about before taking the reigns?

Never worked with district or council before. How beneficial do you find roundtables and district executives?

How have you used your pack committee? We've (leadership team so Cubmaster, committee, and den leaders) been meeting virtually, COVID remanent, but do you find in-person better?

Anything you've learned along the way you wished you knew on day one?

Congratulations !   

Make it fun !   Make it fun for yourself too!

Don't do everything yourself.  Don't sweat if it doesn't become the ideal program.  Do things to keep the scouts busy and getting new experiences.  

Use the committee to share the work.  Expect nothing.  Celebrate volunteers that help.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, RangerEagle said:

... Never worked with district or council before. How beneficial do you find roundtables and district executives? ...

Roundtables are like a box of chocolates. You never know quite what you're going to get. But, I think cub leaders benefit the most from them as they learn about programs that may interest their pack.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Congratulations. I have felt the Cubmaster position is like the cheerleader of the Pack. Bring a lot of energy and make it fun! You set the example for the Pack, for better or worse. I found Roundtables to be informative, at least for networking with other leaders. Share ideas, find out what works, what doesn't, etc. Our Pack committee is active. Our unit rebuilt it specifically after COVID so that workload could be shared amongst many; so not all of the jobs fall under Cubmaster and Committee Chair. I find we get better attendance at virtual meetings, but in-person meetings are more engaging. So we started doing our Pack planning meetings in-person again (Cubmaster, Committee Chair, and enough den leaders and committee agreed it was the better approach). But we will still use virtual meetings for break-out committees like Blue and Gold. 

Most of all, don't be afraid to ask for help. There are plenty of parents that are waiting for an opportunity to chip in. All you have to do is ask. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Good job, you are going to have a blast. 

The two main CM expectations for our pack are plan and run the Pack meeting, and help the Den Leaders do their job. A lot can fall under both those responsibilities, but for me running a meeting meant having fun for an hour, and helping the Den Leaders meant making sure they at least had an assistant and support from their den. I'm not a micro manager, but I can recruit and delegate with the best of them. If the Den Leaders know you have their backs, they will have your back. 

I have lots of methods for both of those expectations. But, my other advice to all packs is plan your next yearly agenda in July so that you and the CC have an idea of what to expect. Recruit your activities committees like Blue and Gold, Pinewood Derby, fund raising and whatever else in September so the CC can start working with them. The more a head the committee chair is, the smoother the whole pack will run. 

You are about to have the best time of your life.

Barry

Enforce the Parent Partner Rule for Lions and Tigers; you will find your replacement in one or two of those parent partners. Cut everything that someone "tacked" on to a role and recruit people to do just the job description of a position from the cub scout leader guide; don't let "the way we always did it" or "historically" restrict your packs function and form. Encourage round table and leader training for everyone. Use leader awards, they are there for a reason, and people do appreciate them. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tron said:

don't let "the way we always did it" or "historically" restrict your packs function and form

Or, "the way I was taught..."

This mindset is death to any organization.

Better yet, "What does the book say?", and "What makes sense?", and "Why not?" (versus "Why?")

• 7 months later...

I see you have been on the job now for half a year. Probably have figured out most of what you posted. I don’t know what council you are in but I’ll pass on a few ‘tips’ that you are free to use or disregard. First, change CM to MC for Master of Ceremonies… the CM runs the pack meetings and is ‘in charge’ at most events unless a a committee member or other parent is running that. Bring songs, cheers and FUN to the meetings. The CM and CC work closely to pull together the pack annual plan (calendar). The CM along with the den leaders are the program side (mostly) and the committee is the business side (mostly). Take advantage of roundtables and chat with other leaders and fish for new ideas and opportunities. Pow Wow and Univ of Scouting can also be helpful. You have a lot of experience to draw upon so you should know what to expect from the other leaders. Make sure your pack has a good relationship with a troop (perhaps two boy and girl) and prepare your Webelos leaders to cross over with their Cubs by getting them trained at the various Scoutmaster training opportunities that come up during their stint. Work with the committee chair to cultivate a positive relationship with your school district. There is a program called ‘Adopt a School’ where units take on projects for the school and PTA/PTO. Get to know your DE but your direct support in the district ought to be your Unit Commissioner. There is a lot more but this is a good start… Congratulations and KISMIF