When are they official eagles

I would like to schedule a COH for my scout. He has passed his board. The packet has been sent. We have family coming in for the holidays. Does he have to wait until the packet comes back from National or is he able to set it up now?

After the BOR, the form has to be signed by the Scout Executive, in the Council and then be sent to National.

A Scout isn't an Eagle Scout until they say so.Talking to some of the new Eagle Scouts, they inform me that it is taking about four weeks. In our Council the Award is sent to the SM.

Eamonn

Eamonn is correct. With all other ranks the Scout is that rank once the trop BOR passes them. With Eagle however, the application must be approved by national betore the rank is official. National will then back date it to the date of the BOR.

Whoa! settle a bit...how long has it been?Wait til you hear back unless you like holding receptions for no reason! Althought I like parties for whatever reason (or no reasons at all)....

I am the luck one who drops the packages off at Council' for the troop....

two horror stories....

First... package was lost...for weeks....

second... (for our Unit Comms son) they had a problem crediting a merit badge (used to be Eagle requirement, but not now and boy was in transition period) Took a while to iron out and move things towards closure....

Third...council lost unit charter...would not accept package...another bit of time and "reasoning with" and several phone calls before they found the wayward charter....

so unless you are very sure or are scheduling way out there...take a deep breath and relax....and congratulations!

I hear you; we just had an Eagle BOR last week. I'm across the hall as our PLC meeting's wrapping up, and our advancement chair tells me that the BOR president told the lad he's an Eagle as of right now. I do an immediate Warner Brothers cartoon double-take, and get into the "spin mode" with the Scout's parents and the committee. They understand now that it's different from the other ranks, and it has to come back from National, but will be "as of" the BOR date. Whew!

KS

Our district does something pretty cool. They've designed a certificate that is presented at the end of the BOR. It states that the young man is an "Eagle Candidate" and has passed the BOR. It explains that he still needs approval from the council and national level. It's not official in any capacity, but it allows the boy to be recognized, take something home and have a big smile on his face.

Hi All

Our Troop presents each Eagle with a patch (bought by the SM) as soon as the packet is returned from National. Some of our scouts have waited as long as nine months for their COH, so this is a way of recognizing them immediately. Its up to the scout if he wants to put the patch on his uniform or wait until the COH. Most scouts say the instant recognition at the troop meeting is more emotional than the COH.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

I would want that patch the minute it was approved. You can present the medal and the other stuff at the COH.

After all that work I might want to take my patch to bed with me that night.

Heck maybe for a month or more!!

I always was a greedy kid!!

Eamonn.