Non-Registered Youth Participant

One of our boys had been participating in our troop as an un-registered youth alongside his older brother and adult leader (step brother) troop Eagle alum.  His BSA registration kept getting help up because of serious issues at home.  We finally got this kid registered but now the question is:  is there any way to record advancements in SB for the work he's done in the troop while being a non-registered youth.  He's done a lot and I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to give him credit for it.  Thanks All !!

There is no way to enter anything in Scoutbook that was done prior to the registration date showing in the national system.

I have had a few instances where paperwork was given to a DE who is no longer with the program and was lost and had to be filled out again.  We looked at things like Scout rank requirements, knots, fire building, cooking, etc. that the scout did before the registration became official and entered those items dated after the scout became official.  Don't penalize the scout for an adult's shortcomings.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

Give the child credit and adjust (fudge all other numbers). 

I agree. If we were talking a year or 2, no. 3 months? Don't punish the Scout, give them credit, nothing to see here, everyone moves along. 🙂

• Upvote 1

If you had a parent signed application back then (even if the parent held on to it before giving it back to you) then you have what I have heard two different registrars refer to as "intent to join."  (I don't know if this is some official registrar term or not.)

If the application was dated three months ago, then the registrar could back date the registration to that date, and charge the unit the commensurate back-dated fees.  Then, all activities since that time are creditable.

Only requirements completed on or after the joining date are creditable.

This WILL be a potential problem down the road.  Make sure all ranks, badges, etc., approved in the system show a date on or after joining date.  This condition is an automatic kick-back on an Eagle Scout application.

That is the "letter of the law" answer.

The "spirit of the law" answer is what @MikeS72 @SiouxRanger@mrjohns2 are about... give the Scout credit, and adjust dates as necessary, if the registrar has already entered a conflicting joining date (after your three months) in the system.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
11 hours ago, jcousino said:

You have a good heart, but do you understand the risks involved with having an unregistered youth on trips?

Those risks are covered by BSA insurance as long as a health form and permission slip are covered. The insurance clearly covers non registered youth who are being recruited to join. 

8 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Those risks are covered by BSA insurance as long as a health form and permission slip are covered. The insurance clearly covers non registered youth who are being recruited to join. 

I've always been given impression from our Council that it is for an actual recruitment event, but at no point should it involve an overnighter.

Circle Ten seems to give that same impression: https://circleten.org/posts/30577/insurance-policy-and-claim-forms

5 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

I've always been given impression from our Council that it is for an actual recruitment event, but at no point should it involve an overnighter.

I have never heard an exclusion. 

the wording in national is pretty clear. They could have easily said no overnights. 🙂

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss10/

• Upvote 2