Merit Badge Requirement Permission

9 hours ago, fred8033 said:

… Asserting a parent wants to be isolated is a biased and belittling view of the parents opinion.  ... I probably would give permission as my son would be boxed in.  I'd truly have contempt for the situation.  I'd reluctantly and grudgingly give permission. …

For the record, I was speculating that the parent wanted the scout to be isolated. From what in particular? We have no idea. I’ve had more than a few parents who became increasingly worried about who their child was befriending as he/she moved into adolescence. As a parent I’ve had the opposite experience in that kids from outside our local circle actually were the best people I could ever wish to have in my children’s life.

The requirement as worded gives a tremendous amount of latitude. Maybe it does subvert the objective of the lesson. But, maybe for some scouts, a little step can be a big experience.

Considering the parents’ views a little bit more deeply, I can imagine holding a belief that they shouldn’t see anyone as being different. Thus, connecting with someone on the basis that they are different may fly in the face of that.

Edited by qwazse
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, qwazse said:

For the record, I was speculating that the parent wanted the scout to be isolated. From what in particular? We have no idea. I’ve had more than a few parents who became increasingly worried about who their child was befriending as he/she moved into adolescence. As a parent I’ve had the opposite experience in that kids from outside our local circle actually were the best people I could ever wish to have in my children’s life.

The requirement as worded gives a tremendous amount of latitude. Maybe it does subvert the objective of the lesson. But, maybe for some scouts, a little step can be a big experience.

Considering the parents’ views a little bit more deeply, I can imagine holding a belief that they shouldn’t see anyone as being different. Thus, connecting with someone on the basis that they are different may fly in the face of that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 200% 😛 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the input!

Due to similar wording of "parent/guardian" permission in other MB clearly not excusing the requirement, the MB Counselor decided to discuss the requirement with the scout, but will not be signing off until the scout confirms they've completed the requirement.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, IronicallyNamed said:

Due to similar wording of "parent/guardian" permission in other MB clearly not excusing the requirement, the MB Counselor decided to discuss the requirement with the scout, but will not be signing off until the scout confirms they've completed the requirement.

Agreed. If parents don't let a Scout shoot a rifle, they can't earn rifle MB. If they aren't allowed to have a pet, they can't earn  pet MB. 

"But, but, this one is required for Eagle!" Not everyone earns eagle. 

• Upvote 1