I should be starting the regalia packing process this evening, so I can get the first load up to the Ordeal grounds by 9:00am tomorrow.  But like last year there is no Ordeal this spring. t's a weird feeling, having nothing to do.  I've been to 38 or 39 ordeals in the 46 years I've been a member. Fingers crossed for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 9:36 PM, mrjohns2 said:

Wow. What state? We only canceled the spring ordeal. Summer callouts and the fall were modified. As is tomorrow's fellowship weekend. I feel pretty lucky.

Maryland. NCAC. We were permitted to hold ordeals last fall under very stringent restrictions, I suspect it was the lodge executive committee trying to make sure no ordeals were held without actually looking like they were banning them.  To the best of my knowledge only one chapter managed to hold one. There were zero cases of Covid transmission. Regardless we are now under an outright ban on any type of physical meeting. 

• 2 months later...

Some of our chapters candidates opted to skip the offered virtual ordeal and wait for the in person one our lodge had scheduled for this summer.  I just got an email telling me that it's postponed until next summer.  "Unable to hold" it said. No further details.

No one who "attended" the virtual ordeal signed up to serve in the chapter in any capacity.  At the October ordeal we skipped the Sunday morning meeting/ sign up due to keeping a safe distance apart I guess. In fact the last time anyone was given an in person opportunity to join the ceremony team was April 2018.

I swear sometimes I feel like the ship is slowly sinking, and the Captain and officers are busy setting it on fire.

Edited by Oldscout448
14 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

I just got an email telling me that it's postponed until next summer.  

Wow. It doesn’t seem like the want to. You can do a pretty socially distant ordeal. It takes effort, but come on!

• 1 month later...

We have our first ceremonies team meeting today. Trying to get ready for the fall ordeal which may or may not be cancelled or postponed.  Again.  

I'm pretty proud of "my boys", they just keep on showing up to rehearsal sessions and work days, knowing full well that there is a good chance that it will all be a wasted effort.

23 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

all be a wasted effort.

Naw...every time they rehearse and prep, they gain a deeper understanding of what the Order of the Arrow is...

"You need seek no rocky summit.   These high places are within you.  All the natural world around you shows you clearly your reflection.  This Ordeal is but a pattern for a journey whose directions are the whispers, urgings, promptings deep within your hearts and spirits."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1