Command to stop saluting?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Just cartchingup after a week away & I havent checked links that have been offered. I've no military experience but wonder about the phrase which I would write, "Stand to" I would interrpret it as meaning "attentative, but relaxed: ready for action. "

I'm gong to check out the rest of the recent postings & I'll check back.

Bob

Bob White: Thanks, I get it now! It's for each branch. I thought you meant "kinds" like in the "mechanics of the salute", say for Boy Scouts. You had me worried there was something else I wasn't aware of, other than the "two" thing! Of course there may be something else I'm unaware of, but I'm unaware of it (at this time)!

I'd take Bob's word over mine. I rarely trouble to take the time to look these things up. Bob tweaked my response and can give you the source to back it up.

Unc.

This is what is actually posted on the web site www.scouting.org on the Venturing site, but I prefer what Bob White is saying, so I'll stand by it.

"hand salute/hand sign There is no official hand salute or hand sign in the Venturing program. However, should a Venturing adult or youth in uniform find themselves in a position where a hand salute is appropriate, it is recommended that Venturers and adult leaders use a full-hand salute."

Again, I like the V idea . . . as long as you don't poke your eye out with your thumb.

Unc.

Well, it's interesting what I learn when you read info provided by people smarter than me!

Our SM for years and years has used the term "toot" for this command while writing directions for Courts of Honor. I have tried to tell him that that can't be the command, especially with Scouts, because the response is not likely going to be pretty. But his policeman father had told him this was correct, so there it stayed, until my son's Eagle Scout CoH, when I insisted he change this to "to". He did so unwillingly, and changed it back once that CoH was done.

My theory on why it should be "to" was that it likely was shortened from a phrase like "to side" or "return to attention" or something like that. So I guess I was just as wrong as the SM. That's what I get for not doing the research, eh?

Mark

Toot!?!? Mark, that is too funny. That should be submitted to the Hall of Shame.

Your interpretation is not that uncommon. Most new scouts end up asking what the "two" means, and they almost always thought it was "to".

And that's my two cents worth!

Mark:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! That's why I said "What is the origin of this command, i.e., is it short for some longer forgotten phrase?" I thought the phrase might be something like "return your hand 'to' your side", or something like that.

I am very glad I posted the questions now, but I don't want to "toot" my own horn!

Now the hard question is: What is the best way to present the facts to your SM and not "tootally" embarrass him! Good luck with that one.

+Jim