Our Council is going full out this year with Internet Rechartering. They would like to see 100% of the units rechartered via the internet during the upcoming year. This would be an increase of 100% since we haven't done this before. I've seen the tutorial and sat thought a class last Tuesday night. It appears to be pretty simple.

Does anyone have expierance with this and are there any hidden problems that we should know about?

foto

Sorry but the anal retentive engineer in me has to state that the increase would be infinite percent if no units rechartered via the internet and only one did this year. A 100% increase would occur if one rechartered last year and two rechartered this year.

As for signatures, obviously there are none. It is my understanding that each unit has a special unique access code to be used for rechartering, often contained in the rechartering material.

Our Council has been testing this for a couple years. The paperwork still has to be turned in.

I was directly involved a few years ago, but not the last couple years. The intention of this a few years ago was that while the papar work still has to be turned in, the objective is have the unit data put directly into the Council database thus skipping the errors from the middle man. This was our intention a few years ago anyway. You should be able to print the paperwork directly from your computer. Sign it and turn it in with lots of money.

If all goes as intended, at least in our council, units will eventally be able to turn in all their advancement forms electronically.

The day may come where we do all our scouting from the computer and never leave our chair.

Barry

acco40 - you are of course correct. My PC does not have the infinity symbol.

The signatures are handled like this.... you fill out the forms online. Once they are completed you hit the send button AND print a copy. The digital copy is transmitted to Council but not processed. The top sheet of the copy is identical to the paper charters that we are all used to. The signature sheet must be signed by all the same people. Once signed, it must be delived to Council with payment. Only then will Council process the digtal charter.

Clear as mud.

I love the idea. I wish our council would get off its caboose and do something - anything - on computer. Rechartering, advancement reports and tour permits require 12-15 extra trips to the scout office each year.

The day may come where we do all our scouting from the computer and never leave our chair.

No, Barry. Only the mundane things. The fun stuff - camping, hiking, teaching a boy how to tie a bowline, or how to build a campfire - those things should never go away. (Although, I guess we could do the Scoutmaster's Conference via instant messenger... just kidding).

Our council is holding a training on internet rechartering. The problem with timing is that this is the same day as 3 other council events (one a training) as well as the day of district trainings. Ouch! I'm looking forward to it. Last year is the first year I handled recharter, and the internet will allow--I hope--for an easier way to deliver the recharter. That was a problem last year for the unit, and from what I hear, has been.

As for cyber Scouting--I sure hope not! The way I view the internet is that it helps me do in off hours the busy stuff that could interfere with doing fun stuff with the kids :)

We are on our way.

Thanks to a kind donation all of our units now have the soft ware. There has been one training for the Commissioners. I was invited but there was something else going on that night.

I missed out on the chocolate chip cookies.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

We need no special software. It is done online. All we have to do is log into the site, then provide an access code and unit information.

I suspect that you are using Troopmaster/Packmaster to do your rechartering. We are interfacing directly with ScoutNet.

I just heard last night at a committee meeting that our District is the test District in the Council for on line rechartering. Our CC feels overwhelmed by this and asked me to help her out. We have to send e mail to her son if we want her to see it! But I guess I'll be getting into this myself.

Because I haven't studied it at all, I can only guess, but I'm betting they handle signatures for rechartering the same as our Council handles signatures on advancements, which we can do on line from Troopmaster. We still need to send in a hard copy with signatures.

I'm all for these kinds of changes. Keep em' coming!

Mark

Just think about it. If we camped online, we'd never get rained on and could break camp DRY! I think I've only been on one totally dry campout in the last year and half. For Oklahoma, that is almost a statistical impossibility. Just ask EagleDad. We have a campout this weekend and the forcast is 100% for rain.

Having served six years as a District Commissioner I find it hard to say politely how much I really hate rechartering. I am 100% for anything that makes it better.

Going back to my Cubmaster Days. The Charter did the rounds from Commissioner to the Pack Committee Chair, to me and I always seemed to be the one who ended up in the sitting room of the Parish Priest waiting for him to sign off. Of course we know each other and have worked on other committees. He was happy that the Pack was there, worked with us on the Scout Sunday Service, allowed bake sales after mass. But that one time a year when I asked him for $20.00 and waited for him to sign the charter was the one time when we really talked about the pack and the little guys in the pack. We discussed how many had gone to resident camp, how things were going at all levels of Scouting.

He normally offered me a drink, which I felt that I had to accept. Bad thing it was some sort of prune brandy- yuck!! I tried to avoid it by giving him a bottle of Bushmills every Christmas, but I got stuck with this stuff that made the worst tasting medicine seem good!!

I hope that on line rechartering isn't going to get in the way of meetings like this.

Eamonn.