• 1 year later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure the helicopter moms would disagree, but I think the "backup meal" is an unnecessary complication and doesn't help a kid learn independence and personal responsibility. Someday he's gonna have

It would behoove us to remember that some cubs/families might have dietary restrictions due to health or beliefs. One pot meals are awesome, but having only a single one-pot course makes it impossible

No scout is going to starve to death on an overnight campout,  even if he consumes nothing but water the whole trip.    If they are somewhat underfed because of poor planning or poor execution of thei

Posted Images

For Cub Scouts, we typically keep it pretty easy: Hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. Webelos have a cooking requirement, so we keep it easy enough for them to participate on the outing. We pair them up, and put them with an adult leader supervising on the grills and clean-up. PB&J isn't bad as a back-up plan, but watch for food allergies. My kid was one of them. So we'd pack our own food with us just in case.

One of my fondest memories: during a Webelos campout we planned to cook one-pot spaghetti for dinner. On our afternoon hike we found some hen of the woods growing on the side of the trail, foraged them, chopped them up, and added it to the spaghetti sauce. Delicious!