Council denies unit fundraiser

On 7/22/2019 at 12:36 AM, fred8033 said:

They absolutely have the power to say no.  The have little power to enforce.  

Just be considerate.  Support your council by selling popcorn and friends of scouting.  Beyond that, I wouldn't ask about other fundraisers.  Focus on making your unit provide the best scouting program.  The rest is noise. 

I’m all for being considerate, but I don’t think it’s considerate when the council adds a council program fee of $30/Scout & Leader saying they did away with FOS and this is a more equitable way to raise the funds - then less than 6 months later sends FOS letters to every registered family in the unit looking for more money  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most surprising thing out of all of this is that a unit actually followed the correct procedure and submitted a fundraising application 

There are no class A or class B uniforms in BSA.

We're supposed to get Council approval for fundraisers? 😁 We didn't get approval for our spring fundraiser, we just did it.

3 hours ago, Momleader said:

I’m all for being considerate, but I don’t think it’s considerate when the council adds a council program fee of $30/Scout & Leader saying they did away with FOS and this is a more equitable way to raise the funds - then less than 6 months later sends FOS letters to every registered family in the unit looking for more money  

My main point was I'd support the council, but supplementary unit fundraisers were unit business.  I wouldn't waste much time asking permission to sell chocolate bars or wreaths or ....  

To your point ... I agree, but there is reality.  The real change is the unit doesn't have to support FOS or promote it or hit FOS targets.  ... BUT ... that doesn't mean the council won't do their own fundraising.  Councils have lists of who gave in the past and lists of the current membership.  I can't believe the council would not do their own FOS drive using that data.  ... My real question is whether the district has FOS targets still.  I'm betting the district still has to do business FOS.  Maybe help with the family FOS.